Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Safety tips for private sales

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Juster's Avatar
    Worst case meaning you get robbed or assaulted. First of all, check online feedback and talk to the guy on the phone so you have a number and can tell if the guy sounds like a gun nut. No feedback or knows nothing would be a no no. Meeting in daylight in a public place with surveillance cams and whatever video technology you can bring would help. I would like to have a steering wheel lock or somesuch around.
    Be discreet in public, bring garbage bags, there are people who will break your nose for possession of a Star Wars blaster.
    Instead of being troubled by what is really evil, people make a big fuss over what is merely conventionally evil. -Diogenes

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Maybe I'm too stupid or naive to be scared to do a face to face transaction.

I usually arrange it so the meet is at a gas station off whatever hiway is closest.

I'm driving 3 hours one way to pick up a 1948 win 94 tomorrow seller won't ship.
    Maybe this is my last post ever.

LOL

It's been 2 days. Think FatCatsDad didn't make it. If you did, how did the actual meet go? Did the opposite party inspect the firearm? How did you go about verifying the PAL, did you do that in advance. I ask all this because I'm new to this. Rather be prepared than run into trouble.
    Weapons are part of my religion

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Midnight Rider's Avatar
    The answer would vary depending on where a person lives ; but probably best to avoid police stations .
    " SUPER BIKES RULE.....! " " Speed Costs....How Much Do You Want To Spend ! "

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 53Izzy744's Avatar
    Buy from someone with a decent feedback rating. Get a feel for who they are by reading some of their posts on here. Give them a call and talk to them on the phone. Ive never felt unsafe in the dozens of ftf deals ive done on here, and they usually all are done either at the persons house (mostly for reloading supplies) or at a parking lot at timmies or Sail.

Licensed gun owners are usually the best people you will ever meet.
    Sweet songs never last too long on broken radios

I always do my ftf deals at a parking lot where guns aren't as out of place, such as cabelas parking lot or a big parking lot such as Canadian tire. Both those places sell guns and ammunition(for the most part, i am in a rural area). And people here tend to be more used to seeing firearms. Of course im always as discrete as possible anyways no matter where I do a deal. If it helps phone the guy up for a 5 minute chat, can usually tell what kinda person they are. And obviously check the pal beforehand. This way has worked for me and never had any issues.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by 53Izzy744 View Post
    Buy from someone with a decent feedback rating. Get a feel for who they are by reading some of their posts on here. Give them a call and talk to them on the phone. Ive never felt unsafe in the dozens of ftf deals ive done on here, and they usually all are done either at the persons house (mostly for reloading supplies) or at a parking lot at timmies or Sail.

Licensed gun owners are usually the best people you will ever meet.

Right there and, no surprises.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by ASingh99 View Post
    It's been 2 days. Think FatCatsDad didn't make it. If you did, how did the actual meet go? Did the opposite party inspect the firearm? How did you go about verifying the PAL, did you do that in advance. I ask all this because I'm new to this. Rather be prepared than run into trouble.

I survived, I was the buyer, transferred from his car to mine, inspected in vehicle.
    PAL check done on cellphone.
    Sent EMT at deal site.
    Did deal in a Canadian Tire parking lot.

People overthink themselves into disastrous situation , where such situation is such a remote possibility.

My odds were better getting in a car accident over the 600 KLM I travelled ( return, not 1 way)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Cocked&Locked's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rmsg0040 View Post
    Grow some balls. I have dealt many firearms at my local gas station. Some picked up at people's house, gun range, mall parking, etc. I know I am physically capable and I always carry a knife.

I have been buying and selling for a long time on Kijiji, craigslist, Facebook marketplace.

I usually spot the person before they spot me.
    ^^^ For sure.
    I can't understand what is wrong with some people these days. I'm not afraid.
    We are annoyed by the assumption on the part of certain public figures that the citizen should be able to prove the need for the citizen to acquire a means of protecting himself. The citizens personal needs are certainly no business of the state. Liberty, when it's in place, grants the right of the citizen to do what he chooses, as long as he does not stamp on the rights of others.
    JEFF COOPER

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's not about being afraid. It's about risk mitigation.
    Weapons are part of my religion

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast