Thread: Purchasing firearms since May 18th 2022 rules change

Purchasing firearms since May 18th 2022 rules change

Hi all, first post. I have a 2 questions regarding the new rules for purchasing non restricted firearms since the rules changed as of May 18th 2022.

I base these questions on retail store level sales of firearms. I assume store records may keep data on customer purchases.

I understand there is now an identity check and a validation check of the license.

Does this check include some form of reporting or disclosing of the firearms (make, model, serial) being purchased to the RCMP or government database?

Prior to this rule change but after the discontinuation of the long gun registry, was there any government collection of data as to what firearms were purchased?

I tried to search for this info in the forums, but didn’t have any luck.

This is a great site, tons of info and lots of knowledgeable people for me to learn from!

Thanks for making this resource available

CGN Ultra frequent flyer gunrunner100's Avatar
    Of all the transfers I've done, the only information asked of me or the intended recipient was license information, name, email etc. No information regarding firearm.
    Don't confuse opinion with knowledge.
    "No Trudeau"...and "****-off Jagmeet"

Super Moderator
    Businesses must maintain records. These data are not automatically submitted to the CFP, but are available for inspection.

Best thing to do if you're worried about that is second hand gun sales. Private deals!
    Weapons are part of my religion

GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by kbdplinker View Post
    Hi all, first post. I have a 2 questions regarding the new rules for purchasing non restricted firearms since the rules changed as of May 18th 2022.

I base these questions on retail store level sales of firearms. I assume store records may keep data on customer purchases.

I understand there is now an identity check and a validation check of the license.

Does this check include some form of reporting or disclosing of the firearms (make, model, serial) being purchased to the RCMP or government database?

Prior to this rule change but after the discontinuation of the long gun registry, was there any government collection of data as to what firearms were purchased?

I tried to search for this info in the forums, but didn’t have any luck.
    Have you tried searching at the horse's mouth: https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firear...rring-firearms

Thanks for the replies. I was concerned the gov was pulling a fast one and building another long gun registry with the implementation of the new rules, while saying there is no registry. I’m thinking of buying another FA.

Quote Originally Posted by ASingh99 View Post
    Best thing to do if you're worried about that is second hand gun sales. Private deals!
    This is a good recommendation. I will work my way up to EE access.

Quote Originally Posted by kbdplinker View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I was concerned the gov was pulling a fast one and building another long gun registry with the implementation of the new rules, while saying there is no registry. I’m thinking of buying another FA.
    In and of itself, the new PAL validation via reference number system is not necessarily a registry; as others indicated, there is no make/model of what you are buying and the reference number is good for 90 days from the same seller, so whether you buy 1, 2, 10 or nothing, there's no inherent record keeping of that.

All that said, I think some people who think all of the sudden retail outlets are now recording information on sales have to realize that even after the LGS was scrapped, any purchase (particularly online) through a retailer will obviously have a record from the store level indicating what was bought, who bought it and in the case of shipping it, where it was shipped. Retailers were keeping this info for archival/audit purposes for seven (7) years; the new process mandates them to keep it for 20 years.

Now, do those records go to the government? I have talked with 7-8 retailers and all said no. However, should law enforcement come with a warrant demanding those records, they would have them. My consternation with this whole new process is Marco Mendicino's ambiguous response as to what constitutes sufficient reason for, say LEO or the courts to demand the records. It sounded like during his Spring 2022 announcement on this, in the Q&A section, that there is some latitude that the government will give for how they demand records. This ambiguity concerns me.

Personally, this new system, while it is not currently an official registry per se - who's to say the government can't just move the goal posts later, and now, in order to generate a reference number, the make/model/serial number needs to be added - perhaps my tinfoil hat is on too tight, but this would not surprise me in a "frog in boiling water" type of scenario. As such, I am not one of those people who think that this new system is relatively harmless, and that making it out to be more than it is is simply paranoid. Just remember, the government is never known for efficiency nor common sense solutions. There is always something politically driven behind policy and legislative process decisions.

I do agree that at the very least, when people are engaged in a private sale of an NR, there is (hypothetically) some...um...discretion...in how much letter of the law the parties choose to observe this new system...
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA (Life), CPC, CHP

It's not uncommon for governments to enact changes that would lead to mass detest from groups by introducing them in small palatable iterations to thereby reduce outrage.
    Weapons are part of my religion

Have you tried searching at the horse's mouth: https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firear...rring-firearms dino game
    I got it. Thanks for response.