Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing Accessories from the US

Bringing Accessories from the US

Have any of you had experience bringing accessories across the border into Canada - e.g. pistol grips, butt stocks, etc?

I read on the rcmp website that we're allowed to bring parts across as long as they're for a prohibited firearm. Wondering if I buy an accessory like an AR15 buttstock on a trip to the US for my non-restricted rifle if that would be fine to bring across?

CGN Regular
    If you get stopped on the US side you could go to jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwnsaur View Post
    Have any of you had experience bringing accessories across the border into Canada - e.g. pistol grips, butt stocks, etc?

I read on the rcmp website that we're allowed to bring parts across as long as they're for a prohibited firearm. Wondering if I buy an accessory like an AR15 buttstock on a trip to the US for my non-restricted rifle if that would be fine to bring across?
    Yes, just make sure the value is under $500 USD or else you need to apply for an US export certificate. I would also print out the FRT for the firearm you want to use it on with a picture of how it attaches. And for good measure, apply for an Import certificate from Global Affairs, no charge.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamWallace View Post
    If you get stopped on the US side you could go to jail.
    Only if it's ammunition or firearms.

Does ITAR extend to us buying something state side and bringing it home personally? I.e. plates or soft Armour since that stuff is itar controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Focus909 View Post
    Only if it's ammunition or firearms.
    you're allowed to bring ammunition across. says on the rcmp's website https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firear...-and-exporting
    \

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rommelrommel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwnsaur View Post

I read on the rcmp website that we're allowed to bring parts across as long as they're for a prohibited firearm.
    Did you misword that?

Quote Originally Posted by lightlysalteddinosaur View Post
    Does ITAR extend to us buying something state side and bringing it home personally? I.e. plates or soft Armour since that stuff is itar controlled
    Yes, if things are ITAR controlled it absolutely applies to personal exports from the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackforestham View Post
    you're allowed to bring ammunition across. says on the rcmp's website https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firear...-and-exporting
    \
    You're mistaking import for export. Import is fine as the RCMP says. Export from the USA has additional requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackforestham View Post
    \
    You need to read this sentence from the page you posted very carefully, "However, you may need an export permit from the other country."

More importantly, you need to fully understand this sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by calibrecarstairs View Post
    You need to read this sentence from the page you posted very carefully, "However, you may need an export permit from the other country."

More importantly, you need to fully understand this sentence.
    You ABSOLUTELY need an export permit from The US for ammunition

CGN Regular
    Its not Canadian law you need to worry about, its US law. Exporting ITAR controlled items without an export permit could land a person in deep ka-ka.
    I've heard they sometimes do spot checks targeting Canadian license plates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast