Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 10/22 Mag Adapter Legality

Ruger 10/22 Mag Adapter Legality

Im hoping I can get some clarification from some more experienced people in the sport. I recently bought a ruger 10/22 and the Spectre Ballistics mag adapter. From all my research its legal to use and is sold as such, but I have one friend who keeps trying to convince me the Conservation officers will give me a ticket if I put more than 10 rounds into the mag.

Anyone here have any experience with the mag adapter? Any advice?

Thanks everyone for being so welcoming.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_1982's Avatar
    I don’t know what the ticket would be issued for?

As far as criminal charges, the adapter allows you to use Remington 597 magazines. Remington mags have no legal limit, and you can load more than 10 in them. The only reason the 10/22 mags are limited to 10 is because there’s a pistol that uses the same mags. That pistol will not accept Remington 597 magazines, no pistol does.

Long story short, load ‘em up!
    CSSA and CCFR member

Thanks for the info, That's definitely what I had seen from my research but my friend was adamant, so good to know I'm good to load em up!

Maybe the 22/10 rug and the Specter Ballistics magnetic adapter you bought are of special value to the museum. You might consider talking to them about its true value.

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconCross45 View Post
    Thanks for the info, That's definitely what I had seen from my research but my friend was adamant, so good to know I'm good to load em up!
    Conservation officers don't have authority over firearms, they check compliance with provincial regulations. Albeit a prohib firearm you're good to go unless hunting

Good rule of thumb is if you can't point to the law it's not illegal. Anyone can check the laws on the books. Mag-limits have specific laws or unregulated. For now

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_1982 View Post
    I don’t know what the ticket would be issued for?

As far as criminal charges, the adapter allows you to use Remington 597 magazines. Remington mags have no legal limit, and you can load more than 10 in them. The only reason the 10/22 mags are limited to 10 is because there’s a pistol that uses the same mags. That pistol will not accept Remington 597 magazines, no pistol does.

Long story short, load ‘em up!
    This is exactly it. It's not as much an issue of how many rounds in the mag as it is in what firearm the mag will be compatible. The mag in contention is the Butler Creek 25-round banana mag. Even though it was clearly designed for the 10/22 and existed previous to the Charger pistol coming out (late 2000s), the fact that the BC mag fits into the Charger has apparently made it verboten. Even though some of us still have the packaging for the BC mags which clearly state that it was designed for the 10/22 and the copyright date on the packaging pre-dates Charger.

BUT this issue is not in any particular legislation; rather, the previous exemption listed in the RCMP regs was removed circa 2011 or something like that and since then there is a presumption that it may be illegal, though it would seem like the scenario is murky at best. And it seems like these types of things can go the reverse way with things like the LAR15 10 round rifle mags being technically legal (for now) even though it was designed for a AR style pistol. These laws are very hard to follow sometimes, logic wise.

As the quoted poster says, the magazine adapter allows the use of a rifle mag that can't fit anywhere else, so the whole "designed for" issue is a moot point.
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA (Life), CPC, CHP

A conservation office would only be concerned if your wildlife regs state that you are only allowed to have a certain number of rounds in a magazine/firearm. Not aware of any that deal with rimfire, but there could be some. Think along the lines of the B.C. Regs that prohibit hunting with a 12” or shorter barrel. That means that some of the Dlask 22’s would be a no-go for hunting under the wildlife regs. Conservation officers don’t generally enforce FA laws other than as they pertain to hunting.
    My wife calls me a pessimist. I claim I'm a realist. But I'm probably just an a$$hole with an attitude problem.

This problem is not covered by any specific law. Instead, the previous exemption mentioned in the RCMP regulations was taken out around 2011 or so, and since then, it is thought that it may be against the law, even though the situation seems at best unclear. And it seems like things like the LAR15 10-round rifle magazines being allowed (for now) even though they were made for an AR-style pistol could go the other way. Sometimes, it makes no sense to follow these rules.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by RubiconCross45 View Post
    Your friend sounds like a trudeau fanboy

I thought it was max "5 rounds" for center-fire in semi-auto in hunting in Alberta. Bolt action is 10 rounds but you can't buy more than 10 rd mags anyway. Rimfire has no limit but you can't hunt big game with a .22LR. I have a 10/22 too but it's for plinking at the range or friend's private land. I believe I can put a 25 or 100 rd mag in my .22 for varmints where it's allowed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast