Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is the CZ 512 in 22LR and 22WMR discontinued?

CGN Regular
    Unfortunately these were cost prohibitive to start, add to the fact that CZ discontinued them means any new product will have limited adoption due to short life cycle. How will you get support in ten years?

10/22 is just fudd ugly

Uber Super GunNutz hunterhenderson's Avatar
    These guns will soon be on everyones list to buy, get one while you can G4C has the last few I think
    “Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth.”
    ― Albert Einstein

CGN frequent flyer CanuckShooter's Avatar
    The standard version in 22WMR is still in stock at the distributor. Had a local store check.

I'm on the fence. I have the standard 22LR version which I got a great deal on, and I like it, but over $900 after tax for the standard 22WMR version seems like a lot for a discontinued rimfire rifle with a polymer lower (the bolt slides on polymer rails, which may or maybe not matter), no aftermarket support and open sights that are just too low for most people to use comfortably. These rifles originally came with a hogback stock with more drop to accommodate the open sights, but they later switched to a straight comb.

For a few bucks more you can grab a Dlask TUF22. It's not 22WMR mind you, but just as a means of comparison from a value perspective.

22WMR in semi-auto does sound fun, more power and a bit more recoil than a 22LR, but it's actually more expensive per round than 7.62x39 right now. It seems like a great utility round for hunting, but for paper punching, it's hard to justify buying an expensive dedicated rifle chambered in 22WMR.

If you check rimfirecentral, there are also threads on malfunctions, some of which were caused by shooting the gun from a rest/sled. Some owners were finding that unless the rifle is held tight against the shoulder, the bolt did not have the necessary rearward force to cycle properly. Kind of like limp-wristing a handgun. There's a video on YouTube about it. Saw a video showing an out of battery detonation as well which was not pretty. 22WMR seems to be a challenging round to build a semi-auto platform around.

I'm not bashing the rifle, I own more CZs than I care to admit and have been toying with the idea of getting one for a while. I'm just having difficulty trying to find a solid justification, as there are definitely drawbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
    The standard version in 22WMR is still in stock at the distributor. Had a local store check.

I'm on the fence. I have the standard 22LR version which I got a great deal on, and I like it, but over $900 after tax for the standard 22WMR version seems like a lot for a discontinued rimfire rifle with a polymer lower (the bolt slides on polymer rails, which may or maybe not matter), no aftermarket support and open sights that are just too low for most people to use comfortably. These rifles originally came with a hogback stock with more drop to accommodate the open sights, but they later switched to a straight comb.

For a few bucks more you can grab a Dlask TUF22. It's not 22WMR mind you, but just as a means of comparison from a value perspective.

22WMR in semi-auto does sound fun, more power and a bit more recoil than a 22LR, but it's actually more expensive per round than 7.62x39 right now. It seems like a great utility round for hunting, but for paper punching, it's hard to justify buying an expensive dedicated rifle chambered in 22WMR.

If you check rimfirecentral, there are also threads on malfunctions, some of which were caused by shooting the gun from a rest/sled. Some owners were finding that unless the rifle is held tight against the shoulder, the bolt did not have the necessary rearward force to cycle properly. Kind of like limp-wristing a handgun. There's a video on YouTube about it. Saw a video showing an out of battery detonation as well which was not pretty. 22WMR seems to be a challenging round to build a semi-auto platform around.

I'm not bashing the rifle, I own more CZs than I care to admit and have been toying with the idea of getting one for a while. I'm just having difficulty trying to find a solid justification, as there are definitely drawbacks.
    I grabbed another one in 22 wmr, I now own 3.....jeez its a sickness..........was $839 shipped all in from G4C.....abosolutely love these guns, never had one problem with any of mine, havent seen or experienced any of the above concerns at all
    ― Albert Einstein

I have both the 22lr and the magnum. No problem with both. The only thing I dislike is the “plastic” bolt handle. I was lucky enough to snag a couple of Dlask aluminum replacements

Quote Originally Posted by 45CAT View Post
    I have both the 22lr and the magnum. No problem with both. The only thing I dislike is the “plastic” bolt handle. I was lucky enough to snag a couple of Dlask aluminum replacements
    CZ seems to have upgraded the charging handle to aluminum in the later models. Probably the same time they changed the guide rod setup.

bolt handles are aluminium on all of mine
    ― Albert Einstein

Only 4 left at G4C now.

they are flyin off the shelves!!
    ― Albert Einstein

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brutus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hunterhenderson View Post
    you are absolutely right on, exactly what im thinking, crazy how they are dumping the tried and proven platforms for this alloy junk that is cheap to produce
    Is exactly the complaints of umarex takeovers of fine old names such as walther, pardini and hammerli.
    Gone are walnut to steel yet replaced by cheap alloys, aluminum and rainbow colored target handguns-air rifles.
    Canadian government runs on trans, ###s and French speaking women. Let them fight the next war over there.
    Myself i will crack a beer and merely watch.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast