Thread: 45 Colt vs 45 Long Colt

45 Colt vs 45 Long Colt

I can't seem to find a direct answer on this so I thought I'd ask.

I have a rifle chambered in 45 Colt, is it interchangeable with 45 Long Colt?

Same thing.
    Dr. Catenstein Acres: "Nobody is welcome!"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer tokguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey5150 View Post

It would seem you are GTG.
    Fun fact... there are folks would will begin trembling with grammar'ly indignation at the term Long Colt..."It's 45 Colt!"
    There are 'bout 4 different cartridges that could possibly be fired in your rifle... 45 cowboy special, 45 Scofield, 455 Colt comes to mind ( likely 455 Eley / Webley in a pinch as well ) and 45 LONG COLT.
    Personally... I'd go with 45 LC. The mantra they are repeating is many years out of date. The period 45 Colt balloon head cartridges likely wouldn't even extract from your rifle...historically they had a very thin rim... the extractor of a Colt SAA poked them out...didn't even need a rim for the most part.
    And it's fun to watch the Grammar Nazi's have a fit as well. And if you do your research...they get to eat crow too.
    Red Adair " arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig, you get all covered in s--t; and the only one who has any fun is the pig "

CGN Ultra frequent flyer vagrantviking's Avatar
    I've heard 45acp called 45 Colt too which is possibly why using Long Colt for the rimmed cartridge has been so persistent for so long.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Lee Enfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantviking View Post
    I've heard 45acp called 45 Colt too which is possibly why using Long Colt for the rimmed cartridge has been so persistent for so long.
    .45 " Long Colt" was used to differentiate from .45 Short Colt which was basically .45 Schofield with a smaller rim diameter.
    BSN from the Republic of Alberta

http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Corey5150 View Post
    **Image and video linking functions will be enabled after you have contributed more to the forum**
    Yes, the .45 Colt is exactly the same round as the .45 Long Colt.