Bullet Casting

Another great option for the snider is the .590 Paradox from Kal tool and die in Winnipeg. I shoot several sniders and prefer to resize and use the .590 bullet so the cases fit in everything vs the larger .600 for the fire formed cases.

Sorry to say, but no, they won't as the brass is too thick at the mouth.

I have been making my own Snider brass for years using the Magtech 24 brass.

Although, it's a lot less hassle to buy formed Snider brass direct from X Ring.

I use lee dies to form the brass, fire once with .480 bullet.

Once the brass is fire formed, you can then switch over to the Martyn's .600 bullet.

The accuracy of Martyn's bullet is beyond expectations.

If your on facebookie, drop on over as there is a sheet ton of information on the page and I'm sure you will recognize some of the names from GunNutz.
hey thanks for the great info! I will pass it along to my buddy. I'm game to make some magtech cases for my buddy as well

I have not done any powder coat "yet" But normally i only reload for my antique pistols , and some 50cal for muzzleloader.
But at the same time... I am starting to Collect Bullet molds thinking one year ill do a lot more LOL

Cast mainly handgun because I collected surplus and there are as many barrel sizes are there are colors in the rainbow for every cartridge. I powder coat those cast bullets. For the few rifles I have I also cast bullets but go the traditional lube sizer method.

I cast for muzzleloaders, black powder cartridge, handguns and rifle. A lot of what I have is old and obsolete so if I want to shoot them I have to cast. At last count I had 124 moulds. Smallest caliber is 22 Hornet and largest is 577 Snider. I have 19 different round ball sizes for pistol and rifle, from 0.310 to 0.715. Most of my bullets are sized and lubed with a few getting the Lee alox lube. The moulds I decided to start collecting about 8 years ago. A lot of the Lyman and Winchester mould designs you can’t get anymore without going custom made. I have been known to buy a mould and then buy a rifle that shoots it. I couldn’t afford to shoot a lot of what I have if it wasn’t for cast bullets. I believe I have over 1000lbs of bullets cast setting in my cabinets. I refuse to admit I am addicted.

Like so many others, I cast for muzzle loaders, BPCR's handguns and modern rifles. I've been accused by Slug, a member here, of introducing powder coating to local shooters. but be that as it may, I powder coat EVERYTHING I shoot. Because I shoot my BPCR"S with both smokeless and Holy Black, I lube all these calibers as well, with Paul Mathews' "Premium" Bullet Lube.
BPCR Calibers I shoot include 38-55 (2) 40-60 Maynard, 40-65 Win, 40-70 Sharps Straight, 45-70 (6) 45-90, 50-70, .577 Snider. With respect to Snider Shooter, I'm proud of my addiction, in fact I brag about it! LOL!!

I cast bullets that I can not buy easily. Use lube I make from Beesewax & Vasoline.
I have a 20 lb Lyman pot & many moulds. I use an RCBS sizer/ luber.
I kind of like doing it for a while.

I cast for 45-110 for my Sharps and for my 45-70 (SPG lube for both), .36 (.376) and .44 (.451) (Bore Butter or lubed wads for both) for my cap and ball handguns and .36 (.350), .50 (.490) and .62 (.595) for my flintlock rifles (Mink grease lube for all).

Last edited:
Very interested in getting into casting for .455 Webley for my MKII, any recommendations on moulds? Would love to find someone that makes a mould for the MKIII bullet.

Like so many others, I cast for muzzle loaders, BPCR's handguns and modern rifles. I've been accused by Slug, a member here, of introducing powder coating to local shooters. but be that as it may, I powder coat EVERYTHING I shoot. Because I shoot my BPCR"S with both smokeless and Holy Black, I lube all these calibers as well, with Paul Mathews' "Premium" Bullet Lube.
BPCR Calibers I shoot include 38-55 (2) 40-60 Maynard, 40-65 Win, 40-70 Sharps Straight, 45-70 (6) 45-90, 50-70, .577 Snider. With respect to Snider Shooter, I'm proud of my addiction, in fact I brag about it! LOL!!
I agree I figure there are alot worse addictions I could have. If I want to shoot alot of my oldies I need to cast and honestly I kinda find casting etc really zen

Started cast Round ball for tradition muzzle loader hunting and target shooting back in the early 80s, also cast 45-70 back then, got out of it for a number of years then found new interest again around 2006.

I powder coat and pan lube, anything under 1300fps typically gets pan lube, the rest including shot gun slugs and buck shot gets powder coat.
Have mounds and Cast the following..

12ga
20ga
#4 buck
00buck
.45rb
.50rb
.58rb
.60rb
.69rb

.357 mag, 45 colt and 45-70 with some 12ga slugs are the most frequent castings.

I am trying to get started. Where do you guys found the lead ? Also powder coating looks like the ticket any source for the powder you guy recommand ?

I am trying to get started. Where do you guys found the lead ? Also powder coating looks like the ticket any source for the powder you guy recommand ?
I haven't had to look for pure lead for years so I'm not the one to ask on that. I've still got 1100 lbs of pure lead, some of it still in cubic foot blocks LOL.

Powder coating I've just been using the black and the blue from Princess auto but I am going to over some from emerald coats down the road. I know guys who have gotten lead from roofers etc who take off old caps.
For wheel wieghts I have enough friends in the tire business that have helped out, but alot of the newer stuff is zinc or iron.

Back
Top Bottom