Bullet Casting

HI; I shoot lead bullets but do not cast my own. Cost, mess, room, whole new hobby. Buy what I find, DRG mainly for cowboy action. I find many raw un-lubed bullets at gun shows or auctions. Then I do lube with DRAGON lube and Lyman resizer. Also use to have a clubber who cast on order for members, now retired.
IN USA most cowboy shooters use powder coated type lube as they all use large progressive reloading machines, like DILLIONS.
I purchase all I can when I see the type I need and keep a list of commercial caster if I must.

Presently I cast 8mm Mauser, 8x56r, 303, 10.4 Glisenti, and planning to do some 32 french longue, and .455 webley in the near future. I used to just do a wax lube, but started powder coating because I find it easier and cleaner.

I cast soft lead and pan lube with beeswax/olive oil for black powder cartridges. 41 Long Colt, 44 Russian and 45 Schofield.

I like the powder coat idea, if you where casting and using a Lyman lube/sizer (minus the lube part) would you resize after the powder coat? and if so, will the coating crumble or flake off?

I like the powder coat idea, if you where casting and using a Lyman lube/sizer (minus the lube part) would you resize after the powder coat? and if so, will the coating crumble or flake off?

Some people resize before and after but I just do after. The Lyman sizer works fine but many people use the push through NOE or Lee sizing dies as they are fast when lube isn't needed.

If properly cured the coating will not come off. Hammer test is the standard way of checkinghow well it's adhered. .

I cast 9mm, .44mag, 12 gauge slugs (Lee and Lyman), as well as single and double aught buckshot. Powder coat them all, works great. Buckshot works really well if you tumble them after casting to round out sprue marks. Usually I get 5-6” tight patterns at 25 yards with my buckshot. I attribute that to both tumbling and powder coat.

I cast 9mm, .44mag, 12 gauge slugs (Lee and Lyman), as well as single and double aught buckshot. Powder coat them all, works great. Buckshot works really well if you tumble them after casting to round out sprue marks. Usually I get 5-6” tight patterns at 25 yards with my buckshot. I attribute that to both tumbling and powder coat.
I havent tried doing it to the buckshot, I might give it a try and see if it makes a difference.

Some people resize before and after but I just do after. The Lyman sizer works fine but many people use the push through NOE or Lee sizing dies as they are fast when lube isn't needed.

If properly cured the coating will not come off. Hammer test is the standard way of checkinghow well it's adhered. .

Exactly! I think it is what ever works for you.

How many of you out there cast your own bullets? if so what calibers do you cast for? Do you use traditional lube or powder coat them?

I'm a caster and I thoroughly enjoy it.. I cast for a lot of different calibers as most of what I shoot personally are long obsolete so casting is really the only way. I hunt mostly with casts well.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you are all doing.

Grumpy

I cast BP round ball and Lee conical in 45, 50, and 54. And 9mm, 38special. And for 38-55, 45-70, and 7.92x33 (custom Lee molds).

I cast bullets for 38-55, 45LC, 45-70 and 45-120. I use Dragon Lube for Black Powder and my own homemade, I have also started powder coating recently.

Retreever

Cast for:

.577 Snider and 577/450 Martini - and I use a home brew lube with these made from beeswax, lanolin and lard.

For 303, 44Mag, 357/38 I use a traditional lyman sizer/lube press - so I can add the gas checks.

for .310 cadet and .455 Webley - I tumble lube in the lee liquid alox

What mold do you have for the 310 Cadet?

I cast for...
30/30
30-06
7.62x39
6.5x55
45-70
50 cal BP
12gauge
.38 S&W
9mm
32ACP

To name a few

Mainly powder coat. Have lots of Lee Alox if needed. Looking at making my own lube for Black Powder guns.

Back
Top Bottom