Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often should a gun be cleaned/be deep cleaned?

How often should a gun be cleaned/be deep cleaned?

Hello everyone,

Excuse me for the beginner question, but how often should a gun be cleaned? I tried asking both ranges and stores to see if there's anything definitive, and so far, I've gathered to either "clean it right after range use" or "just leave it be and clean it after multiple range trips".

The subsequent question I had in mind is: how often should I detail strip and perform a deep clean? While I understand I need to at least field strip and perform a basic clean/lubrication, I never quite understood how often/when a more through cleaning is needed.

Basically it "needs" to be cleaned when it starts having issues but most people clean more frequently, Personally I enjoy taking my firearms apart and cleaning them whether or not they need them. Generally tho after firing a field strip, wipe and lubrication is quick and easy enough and generally all that is needed to continue for thousands of rounds

Only time I clean after coming from the range. Is if I been shooting in the snow, or rain.

I mainly clean when its starts giving me issues and the accuracy is getting poor.
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

Essentially, clean when it starts having issues or when shooting in the snow/rain. Otherwise, it boils down to preference on how often they should be cleaned with most opting to clean more frequently.

So I'm guessing detail stripping/deep cleaning is more reserved for when few thousand rounds were run?

I think to be on the safe side and avoid rusting, you should only change or clean the gun about 3 times a year.

Uber Super GunNutz
    "clean" might mean different things to different users - good start is the maker's manual - what do they suggest that the owner do - and how often? I prefer to run patches, bore brush etc. down barrel most every time it is taken out to shoot it. Most "new-to-me" guns get taken down to components - I want to learn how to do that - then lube and re-assemble - often only done when I first acquire that rifle - there is a made-in-1955 Winchester Model 12 on the workbench right now - I need to figure out how to remove the magazine cap - do not even know if there is a plug in there or what kind. How to take it down to inspect firing pin condition, etc. Some people seen to think "clean" a gun means wipe down the exterior. Some seem to think it means scrub out the bore. Some think is to tear down to last individual piece - to each their own. But has been written many times that more damage done by "red neck" cleaning than usually done by "using" - so spend some time to get appropriate tools, learn the techniques and generally stay with concept to "do no harm" when fussing with it.
    Last edited by Potashminer; 06-07-2023 at 11:36 AM.
    The DEVIL caught me with my head down, and thought he had won - until I said "AMEN"!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Buck1950's Avatar
    A lot depends on what gun since rimfire, SG and CF all need different care. There are lots of threads with different opinions. I personally look for more experienced shooters' opinions and competitors' as well. It also depends on How many rounds you're shooting and the ammo used. Cheap ammo s/b cleaned more often IMO but some persons might disagree even with that. I spend a few hours per week reading threads for info b4 making any significant decisions. Might 'waste time' but sure saves money

I'm in the camp of clean the gun after a few range trips, a field strip, clean and lube is good enough as well. The only thing that I can think of off the top of my head that would be cause for immediate or same day cleaning would be if the gun had corrosive ammo run through it like 7.62 surplus ammo.

GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by OkayShooter View Post
    Only time I clean after coming from the range. Is if I been shooting in the snow, or rain.

I mainly clean when its starts giving me issues and the accuracy is getting poor.
    Do you mean accuracy or precision. How do you know when that happens?

As a general rule of thumb, firearms that are regularly carried and shot require weekly cleanings while firearms in cold storage require regular cleanings every 2-3 months. Some firearms might warrant more frequent cleanings due to their design, ammunition used, or if the firearm is used for personal protection.
    It’s always good to at least give your gun a quick once-over and wipe down after you shoot. Ideally cleaning should occur after every time you shoot. Although I said it was ideal to clean every time you shoot, it’s not always necessary.
    A deeper gun cleaning should be done a few times a year. “Deep” cleaning is more involved and extensive, but it’s necessary to maintain your gun. Accuracy and reliability will be impacted if you don’t clean your guns regularly. Donkey Kong

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast