Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Shotgun

Canuck Operator - one of the smoothest semi-auto shotguns that I've shot. Strikes well above its weight class

I would go and asses the shotguns you have in local stores for the feel and ergonomic. We all different and firearm perfect for somebody, might give you pain shooting it.
    Don't repeat my mistake buying something online because it "looks cool and can hold up to 21 cartridges"

Quote Originally Posted by lauryfriese View Post
    It is important to approach buying a firearm with a great deal of responsibility and care. Firearms can be dangerous and it's important to ensure that you have the proper training, licensing, and safety equipment before handling a firearm. Additionally, laws and regulations regarding firearms vary by location, so it's important to be familiar with the laws in your area and to purchase any firearms from a reputable and licensed dealer. I encourage you to do your own research and consult with experts in the field to make an informed decision.
    First post? What the hell?
    Asking experts and not so experts is why he is here.
    First shotguns where usually Dad's old single shot cooey in 12 ga with no pad.
    These days I would say a good used pump or brand name semi.
    a good O/U will be tight at 700.oo Most of min where good used Brownings, Whinchesters, Beretta's, they where all good.
    How it fits/ feels when you hold / sight it is important.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Midnight Rider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupor View Post
    I have about a $700 budget I can use to purchase my first shotgun. I have been looking at winchester SXPs, mossberg maverick 88, and benelli novas etc etc on cabelas and browsing my local gun store but I just can't decide. Hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction?
    Any of the options that you mentioned are good choices , although you really need to decide if you want a semi auto , or a pump ; and in what barrel length .With your price point including tax , it sounds like a pump might be the best option if buying new , so the only question remaining is barrel length , and mag. capacity . If looking for a skeet shotgun , or hunting , go for a longer barrel around 28 inches ; if looking for a more tactical style option , look for a barrel in the 18.5 to 20 inch length range , and an extended mag .
    " SUPER BIKES RULE.....! " " Speed Costs....How Much Do You Want To Spend ! "

Look in the ee for a good used Remington 870

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cement head's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lauryfriese View Post
    It is important to approach buying a firearm with a great deal of responsibility and care. Firearms can be dangerous and it's important to ensure that you have the proper training, licensing, and safety equipment before handling a firearm. Additionally, laws and regulations regarding firearms vary by location, so it's important to be familiar with the laws in your area and to purchase any firearms from a reputable and licensed dealer. I encourage you to do your own research and consult with experts in the field to make an informed decision.

You had better re-think your answers . sure safety is paramount and I hope he has his license and practices safe shooting but he asked what kind of shotgun we experienced shooters oh ya us safe shooters would recommend.as someone else stated pick several shotguns at a reputable gun store and as your holding them pointed in a safe direction bring it up to shoulder it as if you going to shoot it and see how it feels. can you get a cheek weld as in can you aim it comfortably ? first I would recommend an 870 Remington . second a Mossberg model 500 . next a Browning BPS. then the rest . see if you can get another barrel if you buy an 870 Remington . a standard 28 inch barrel and a 22 inch ?? slug barrel also . I prefer the smooth bore ones. slugs are cheaper . good luck in your choice. PS I don't care for the new Winchester pump shotguns . I like the old stuff . like the Model 12 .

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Butcherbill's Avatar
    Rem 870, has about the best aftermarket support and barrel options you could ever want/need.

Personally, I like the versatile Mossberg 500. However, choosing a shotgun is a very individual matter and depends on your preferences, size, comfort, and shooting style. I think you should try them on in your nearest store to choose the right one. Also, you did not indicate for what purposes the purchase is planned, I mean it will be hunting, or sports shooting, or something else. The main thing is that this should not be a school shooting because some people ruthlessly abuse weapons, including in such cases. In college, I read research paper topics at **Image and video linking functions will be enabled after you have contributed more to the forum**, showing the need for strict control over access to firearms. Although I am sure that you are responsible for possessing weapons.
    Last edited by Sam Blackburn; 08-09-2023 at 03:44 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CobraGT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasonM View Post
    I have been looking at the Winchester SXP Defender. I like the looks of it and feels good in my hands. I also like the Benelli Supernova however I have yet to put my hands on one. The Benelli looks good and it is a trusted brand. My first shotgun that I bought and yet to fire is the Beretta 1301. I liked the reviews on it and a friend owns one, he highly recommended it. I prefer to save a little extra money and get what I want versus settling and shopping within a budget. All the above suggestions seem like safe choices. Do some research and if you can put your hands on it and see how it feels, when you get the warm fuzzies you found the shotgun for you.
    If you like the Winchester SXP Defender, skip it and try to find a good used Winchester 1300 Defender. Same basic gun, but the 1300 is made in the US, and has a full-length magazine tube. I've owned pretty much every pump shotgun available at one time or another and I keep coming back to the 1300.
    The right to buy weapons is the right to be free Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intelligor illis
    EE Ads: Insurance is NOT included on any agreed "shipped" price!
    I take no responsibility for an EE item once it has been shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by PharmarNas View Post
    Im in the same position and looking for one and I was considering grabbing a benelli nova or a used supernova. Seems like they are reliable and easy to use plus they will hold their value if I decide to sell them down the line and upgrade to something else.
    I just bought a used Supernova last weekend. Tried it the following day. Very impressed with the ergonomics, handling and performance. The ghost ring is fantastic and while it is a tad on the heavier side, that helped mitigate the recoil somewhat.

Pump operates smoothly and there is a function to unload the round in the chamber without loading another round from the magazine. Feeding rounds in the mag is easy and doesn't bite my fingers like my 870 does. Overall I am impressed but I already knew I what I would be getting with a Benelli as I have other models in my stable already.
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA (Life), CPC, CHP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast