Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 5.56 rifle right now?

Is the SL8 short rail version legit?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fritzhanzel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CdnLibertarian View Post
    Is the SL8 short rail version legit?
    I don't understand what you mean by that. It is called SL8-4, same as the SL8-5 but shorter rail without the sights.

Here is my take. Get the Tavor if you like the value and resale value. The type97 version 3 is probably the best deal out there, I have no idea if new ones will come to the market ever again. From what I have seen, it is more accurate than the X95, just the safety is kind of oddly placed, trigger is similar to the X95 but no after market trigger like for the X95 - but the aftermarket triggers for the X95 are expensive anyways, most people shy away from that.

You want to buy one which takes AR magazines, cheap and they come in all kind of variations, even as 10 rounder short pistol magazines. You really want that, especially with our mag limit in Canada and for bench rest shooting.

That sets the SL8 back since the magazines are proprietary and the short 5 rounders are rare and expensive. It can be modified to take standard G36 magazines or the Pmags can be filed but you still have a long 30 round magazine which makes bench rest shooting very hard. Everything on the SL8 is not interchangeable with other rifles, even if you take the rail off, you can't find nice scope mounting solution. Then it is also front heavy. As much as I like the SL8, you may want to think twice.

The next one is the BCL Siberian and since there were no recent bad reviews, I assume it is reliable. More than the WK180 gen 2 which is a few hundred cheaper but not shy of horror stories when it comes to failures.

So first is the X95 if you don't mind the price, then the T97 gen 3, then the Siberian.

Unpopular opinion but I choose to keep my Siberian over my NR Bren 2 for a couple reasons.

The Bren is insanely expensive for what it is, it’s a $2200 gun tops, even with the “NR tax”. My Siberian can shoot +\- 2” groups all day with the cheapest 55g bulk ammo I have, the Bren can’t tighten below 3.5”, opens right up when hot whereas the Siberian stays about consistent.

I sold the Bren and bought more ammo and a better scope, much better off.
    I have a Raven on the way, reviews are looking good, if it’s compares with my Siberian I’ll be happy.

PS my Siberian is at about 1000rds, so not very much. There have been zero malfunctions, I use mainly 458 socom, and 50 Beowulf mags.

CGN Regular
    I don't understand what is meant by its difficult to mount a scope to the SL8 just mount it to the supplied rail like anything else. Also you can order mag well adaptors to use stanag mags. The sphur ones have a good rep but aren't always easy to find but ##### armory brings in the Tommy built ones. Personally I like my sl8 over my type 97 as I like to benchrest and shoot at distance if I'm going to use centerline ammo. For shooting off hand under 100m I plink with 22lr for cheapness mostly.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    If you don't mind the firearm being heavier, reports on the Crusader Arm's Templar dependability have been good to date. Even with the ACR-esque stock and Triggertech trigger, it can be within your budget. You can get it with a milspec trigger to save funds and/or get it in Solo mode with a 1913 rail for the stock to use an existing 1913 stock or procure one of your choice. There may also be a buffer tube version out at retailers, but it is no longer on Crusader's site. There are some issues noted in this Reddit thread, https://www.reddit.com/r/canadaguns/...ntenance_tips/ , so please not them prior to purchasing.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    I don't have experience with every semi in the Canadian market, but the ones I have used I have extensive experience with

For reliability and "modern" style function, Tavor checks most of the boxes except for price and if you don't like bullpups. The X95 is for sure an improvement in ergonomics over the first design, but they are both extremely reliable. You can abuse the hell out of a Tavor and it keeps on running.

I have 3 WS-MCR, all around 10K round count and other than replacing a few minor parts here and there (firing pin, firing pin spring, hammer/trigger pins) they have been very reliable, and reasonably accurate, too. Downside is they are a bit clunky and heavy, but that may not be an issue, depending on what you are doing.

I have one Gen 1 WK-180 which I find is a bit lighter and more ergonomic with the thinner barrel and half size handguard, compared to the MCR. It only has about 5000 rounds through it but I've had to replace the hammer and trigger pin, and pin that holds the ejector in has worked it's way free a few times and jams it up. I think the hole in the bolt for the pin is a but oversized, maybe. But that happened early on and it's gone about 3000 rounds without working itself out now.

My friend has a BCL Siberian and if I was going to do it all over again I would probably go that route, as it's a much more refined version of the MCR/WK. More ergonomic, less "clunky" and is pretty accurate, too. He only has 1500 rounds through it though, so time will tell on it's reliability. I think he said that he was going to clean it at this point, too.

I don't have a T97 but another friend (since moved away)had one and it seemed quite reliable. I was actually pretty impressed with it when I shot it. I guess I thought it was going to be a bit junky but it wasn't at all.

At the risk of being labelled a heretic, I actually prefer some of our available semi's over the AR15. I find the Tavor more reliable and compact and I find the various 180 models to have better accuracy and better recoil impulse than most off the shelf AR15's I've owned. They also don't get as dirty and require less maintenance. AR15's with DI get filthy in comparison. The real downside to the 180's we have compared to the AR15 is the lack of mass production like the AR15 so the price of a 180 style is simply higher for what you get.
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by fritzhanzel View Post
    I don't understand what you mean by that. It is called SL8-4, same as the SL8-5 but shorter rail without the sights.

Here is my take. Get the Tavor if you like the value and resale value. The type97 version 3 is probably the best deal out there, I have no idea if new ones will come to the market ever again. From what I have seen, it is more accurate than the X95, just the safety is kind of oddly placed, trigger is similar to the X95 but no after market trigger like for the X95 - but the aftermarket triggers for the X95 are expensive anyways, most people shy away from that.

You want to buy one which takes AR magazines, cheap and they come in all kind of variations, even as 10 rounder short pistol magazines. You really want that, especially with our mag limit in Canada and for bench rest shooting.

That sets the SL8 back since the magazines are proprietary and the short 5 rounders are rare and expensive. It can be modified to take standard G36 magazines or the Pmags can be filed but you still have a long 30 round magazine which makes bench rest shooting very hard. Everything on the SL8 is not interchangeable with other rifles, even if you take the rail off, you can't find nice scope mounting solution. Then it is also front heavy. As much as I like the SL8, you may want to think twice.

The next one is the BCL Siberian and since there were no recent bad reviews, I assume it is reliable. More than the WK180 gen 2 which is a few hundred cheaper but not shy of horror stories when it comes to failures.

So first is the X95 if you don't mind the price, then the T97 gen 3, then the Siberian.
    I thought the Siberian had lots of problems with the gas block and whatnot, I actually love how that rifle looks the best but was scared

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    I don't have experience with every semi in the Canadian market, but the ones I have used I have extensive experience with

For reliability and "modern" style function, Tavor checks most of the boxes except for price and if you don't like bullpups. The X95 is for sure an improvement in ergonomics over the first design, but they are both extremely reliable. You can abuse the hell out of a Tavor and it keeps on running.

I have 3 WS-MCR, all around 10K round count and other than replacing a few minor parts here and there (firing pin, firing pin spring, hammer/trigger pins) they have been very reliable, and reasonably accurate, too. Downside is they are a bit clunky and heavy, but that may not be an issue, depending on what you are doing.

I have one Gen 1 WK-180 which I find is a bit lighter and more ergonomic with the thinner barrel and half size handguard, compared to the MCR. It only has about 5000 rounds through it but I've had to replace the hammer and trigger pin, and pin that holds the ejector in has worked it's way free a few times and jams it up. I think the hole in the bolt for the pin is a but oversized, maybe. But that happened early on and it's gone about 3000 rounds without working itself out now.

My friend has a BCL Siberian and if I was going to do it all over again I would probably go that route, as it's a much more refined version of the MCR/WK. More ergonomic, less "clunky" and is pretty accurate, too. He only has 1500 rounds through it though, so time will tell on it's reliability. I think he said that he was going to clean it at this point, too.

I don't have a T97 but another friend (since moved away)had one and it seemed quite reliable. I was actually pretty impressed with it when I shot it. I guess I thought it was going to be a bit junky but it wasn't at all.

At the risk of being labelled a heretic, I actually prefer some of our available semi's over the AR15. I find the Tavor more reliable and compact and I find the various 180 models to have better accuracy and better recoil impulse than most off the shelf AR15's I've owned. They also don't get as dirty and require less maintenance. AR15's with DI get filthy in comparison. The real downside to the 180's we have compared to the AR15 is the lack of mass production like the AR15 so the price of a 180 style is simply higher for what you get.
    Surprised to hear another endorsement of the Siberian, I heard and seen lots of horror stories on here but this is reassuring. I might just go with that tbh. Thanks for the info.

CGN frequent flyer
    I would wait and save to spend the 3.6k plus taxes for the CZ Bren 2. Best rifle out there.
    Last edited by johhny12gauge; 06-20-2023 at 04:50 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fritzhanzel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johhny12gauge View Post
    I would wait and save to spend the 3.6k plus taxes for the CZ Bren 2. Best rifle out there.
    Well well, but not at that price point. That would be the VZ58/CZ858.

If you scroll up a little bit, you will see that the Bren2 has horrible accuracy? How can this count for "best rifle out there".

Best hyped rifle maybe.