Best 5.56 rifle right now?

If there is a reliable 556 semi, that's not going to make a difference in the vast majority of shooters. Ar is just another gun, but is dealt with via lots of support. Our 556s are just as good and I bet would take a pro to determine the difference. Screw the ar.

SOmebody say something normal so I will learn and stfu. Please

This is really sounding like a judo vs wrestling takedown thread. But we're dealing with Iron Mechanics.

Adaptation is the best I've heard, the rest is grey.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on how the PSA Jakl may fair if IRunGuns can convince them to make a NoDak 180 compatible version? Thread here, https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/2062618-The-new-NR-NoDak-Spud-NDS-18SC?p=19989326&viewfull=1#post19989326 .

The PSA Jakl would likely fare well in the current Canadian market if it can be demonstrated to represent more value for $$ than the competing domestic designs. Unfortunately, despite all of the the excitement over in the resurrected thread, the Jakl still has many obstacles to overcome. PSA has to agree to a Canadian production run with 18.5" barrels and a NO-Dak Lower Receiver interface. IRG has to contract to somebody in Canada to manufacture the Billet No-Dak Lower Receivers with the approved FRT. The importation of the Jakl Upper Receivers has to clear C21's prohibition on all "new" designs. It is impossible to say at this time whether the Jakl Upper Receiver will be permitted into Canada as an "existing" AR180B-variant, but I'd say the odds are slim. Any excuse will be used to keep otherwise legal "black guns" out of Canada. But hey? What do I know.... stranger things have certainly happened!

For sure, but comparing to the 180 versions it’s $1400, what you choose to add after is a different story.
The Siberian is roughly $1600 + with a crappy trigger.

Still usable though.

Where could a guy purchase the tungsten buffer?

I priced both the Platinum and Silver grade rifles the way that I would want them, using the Lockhart rifle ordering options. In the case of the Silver Grade Rifle, I included a Bolt Catch Assembly, Trigger-Tech Duty Trigger, Top Charging Handle, Left Side Cocking Slot Cover and Case Deflector. The cost when all was said and done was $2500 CAD. I consider all of those "options" to be requirements for a fully-functioning "Black rifle", particularly one that is intended to supplant the prohibited AR15. I didn't see the point in repeating the $1400 "base" price, as that is for an incomplete rifle IMHO. $2500 gets you a complete rifle with a good trigger. As always however, YMMV.

I did the same thing pricing out the Crusader Templar - I gave the price for the upgraded Gen 2 version with the Trigger-Tech Trigger because the standard mil-spec trigger sucks balls. If all rifles are similarly equipped for our comparison, it makes "apples to apples" that much easier to compare at their varying price-points.

Tungsten used to be used in most Buffers, however some nowadays use solid Steel or Tungsten weights that slide back and forth inside the Buffer's cylindrical interior cavity. You can tell which type of Buffer you have by shaking it front to rear. The steel or tungsten weights will "clack" inside the buffer as they impact against either end of the interior cavity, whereas those partially filled with Tungsten powder will just feel its mass shift from one end to the other.

you can obtain a weighted Buffer from True North Arms, however they only have Standard Weight (3 oz) or Heavy weight (H - 3.8 oz) in stock right now. IIRC, the 3.8 oz ("H") Buffer that comes with the Raven is a solid design without powder or weights inside the interior cavity to provide an anti-bounce "dead-blow" upon Bolt-Carrier closing. I suspect that this is why Raven owners are experiencing Light Primer Strikes. The rifle's Hammer is hitting the Firing Pin as the Bolt Carrier is bouncing backwards, with the two essentially cancelling each other out. The Bolt-Carrier bounce basically prevents proper Hammer velocity, resulting in a Light Strike (and a Stoppage).

Last edited:
The PSA Jakl would likely fare well in the current Canadian market if it can be demonstrated to represent more value for $$ than the competing domestic designs. Unfortunately, despite all of the the excitement over in the resurrected thread, the Jakl still has many obstacles to overcome. PSA has to agree to a Canadian production run with 18.5" barrels and a NO-Dak Lower Receiver interface. IRG has to contract to somebody in Canada to manufacture the Billet No-Dak Lower Receivers with the approved FRT. The importation of the Jakl Upper Receivers has to clear C21's prohibition on all "new" designs. It is impossible to say at this time whether the Jakl Upper Receiver will be permitted into Canada as an "existing" AR180B-variant, but I'd say the odds are slim. Any excuse will be used to keep otherwise legal "black guns" out of Canada. But hey? What do I know.... stranger things have certainly happened!

Excellent points. I believe the intention is to have PSA make both the upper and lower as a complete firearm, but they intentionally kept the lower design identical to the one previously approved for an FRT, hence the non-AR-15, 180 style inverted angle mag-well. Would submitting a firearm for import under an existing FRT with a different upper trigger an FRT review, or is at the discretion of CBSA and/or the RCMP? Hopefully, it can clear based on the existing FRT.

Thank you for the detailed response! I should have mentioned I want a semi auto.

Is the T97 ever going to be in stock again? And any thoughts on the SL8?
probably not and you cant import from us either as they are banned there. The sl8 I don't own but from what i have read it is accurate and reliable. Why I dont have one is your stock with proprietary magazines limited to 5 rounds or a possibly less reliable stanag conversion.

I know it's an older thread but seeing it at the top of the page with a few new posts got me looking at some 223 rifles. I would totally be willing to try one if the ammo is cheap and easy enough to get. What is the best place to purchase a few hundred rounds? I looked up Tenda, they have some 74-84 cent/round options. I've used and like them for the free shipping. Any other place to check out?

For a casual plinker, the DI/Internal-Piston Lockhart Tactical Raven is pretty hard to beat these days... The "eh R" rifle substitutes nicely for the real deal AR15 while the silliness persists.

Lockhart Raven. Gives you the reliability and the customization of an ar15 is great while remaining non restricted. You are also able to swap calibers on the fly making it very versatile. The Bren 2 is also a great gun but it costs an arm and a leg and dose not have much aftermarket support.

Late to the game, but so far my Kel-Tec SU-16F (tactical) has given me no grief, except for the fact it is not that accurate at 100 yards. I've never fired factory ammo through it (maybe I should...) but it hates every reload with BLC-2 I've tried. Varget with 55gr Campro bullets is best for me so far. About $1150 from site sponsors.

Anyone else have one of these?
https://alflahertys.com/kel-tec-su-16-tactical-version-rifle-223-semi-automatic-rifle-su16tac/
Hey man..I am considering the SU16F soon.

What has been your experience so far, anything else to add? Issues?

Thank You

Hey man..I am considering the SU16F soon.

What has been your experience so far, anything else to add? Issues?

Thank You
Bad news. While I love the look and function of the gun, the groups opened up way too much at 100 yards. Sorry - I can't recommend it any more. I'm back to using my MRA Renegade straight-pull for 3-gun competitions in the USA

Back
Top Bottom