Attention customers with postal codes that begin with P. You're nobody now.

pergunar

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just loaded up my shopping cart with ammunition from the FOC Super Summer Sale, only to get slapped with this news flash:

*Attention customers with postal codes that begin with P. We can no longer ship ammunition or dangerous goods to these postal codes.*

That is all of Northern Ontario!

No explanation given. No options presented for alternative shipping arrangements with other service providers.

Just the sound of a door slamming in the face of a long time customer.

Come on FOC.

How about a better explanation, and then finding a work around?

Ghosted in Thunder Bay

It's not just FOC.

CANPAR and Loomis/DHL suddenly stopped shipping guns and ammo in May 2021.

https://thegunblog.ca/2021/05/28/canpar-loomis-stop-shipping-guns-and-ammo-in-shock-to-industry/

Even a company like Oley's Armoury in Powassan Ont couldn't ship ammo to the north or south for the longest time.

Sounds like it's basically anywhere rural. Supposedly the problem is that rural areas and small towns have contractors working for the big courier companies. The big couriers have dangerous goods certificates but the small-time contractors often don't. So now you can only ship dangerous goods to locations that the couriers themselves service. Pretty much only the cities. So us small towners and rural folks get hit with a double whammy: no or few gun stores nearby and can't order ammo, powder, or primers online. AFAIK...I have not tried to order anything recently.

If FOC has no way to ship dangerous goods to you then they can't do it. If they don't label it as such, UPS and Fedex are sure to shut their accounts when they find out.

Sounds like it's basically anywhere rural. Supposedly the problem is that rural areas and small towns have contractors working for the big courier companies. The big couriers have dangerous goods certificates but the small-time contractors often don't. So now you can only ship dangerous goods to locations that the couriers themselves service. Pretty much only the cities. So us small towners and rural folks get hit with a double whammy: no or few gun stores nearby and can't order ammo, powder, or primers online. AFAIK...I have not tried to order anything recently.

If FOC has no way to ship dangerous goods to you then they can't do it. If they don't label it as such, UPS and Fedex are sure to shut their accounts when they find out.

There is the facts: thanks rifleman762. I can echo the same thing. I have rural family that ships to other family just for this reason: can't ship ammo to the small hick towns in the middle of the prairie provinces anymore!!!

Dear valued customer,
Unfortunately, due to regulation changes all recent shipments of dangerous goods to Northern Ontario were turned back by couriers.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by this matter, and you will be receiving a full refund for your order shortly.
Hope you can find this ammo at your local store.
Best regards,
### Team

why doesn't canada's firearms and ammunition industry have it's own bonded, licensed and dangerous goods certified couriers.
I mean it's not a difficult business to set up.
It's not hard to get certified to transport dangerous goods...... I've been certified for over 10 years now.

I just loaded up my shopping cart with ammunition from the FOC Super Summer Sale, only to get slapped with this news flash:

*Attention customers with postal codes that begin with P. We can no longer ship ammunition or dangerous goods to these postal codes.*

That is all of Northern Ontario!

No explanation given. No options presented for alternative shipping arrangements with other service providers.

Just the sound of a door slamming in the face of a long time customer.

Come on FOC.

How about a better explanation, and then finding a work around?

Ghosted in Thunder Bay

I’ve been through this with a few vendors. Just ask them to use Purolator. UPS won’t do dangerous goods up here, but Purolator will, and usually they’re cheaper.

Have ordered ammo from Tenda and they shipped it Purolator, no issues other than a $14 extra charge which I was OK with.

If Purolator is the only option for "rural" areas (since they do not employ contractors which as mentioned is the issue), any retailer not offering that as a shipping option is unnecessarily missing out on business. We don't all live in the GTA.

BTW, this contractor thing can be blamed on Canpar and UPS as they created this mess. Many of these locations used to be serviced by corporate drivers. In the interest of maximizing profits, many smaller depots were shuttered, and drivers were given the option to buy their work truck and work as a branded contractor at a lower rate of pay.

As someone whose father was owner/operator for Purolator for 30 years... It's both the company AND the driver that need to be TDG certified. If there is no drivers in the area that do that route that are certified then you are sh!t out of luck. The reason that the drivers don't get certified is they have to take unpaid time off to do the certification, and pay for the certification them selves... It's a double loss for no extra financial gain. That is why rural deliveries don't deliver dangerous goods. Purolator is a big company but they use the "Brand contracted owner/operator" model in most locations which pays by delivery and pick up, not an hourly rate. So missing any time is crushing financially to the drivers and Purolator won't compensate. Most courier companies operate this way. I think UPS is the only one who doesn't.

If you want to point blame for dangerous goods shipping, point it at the corporations that run and own the shipping companies... Not the drivers or the retailers. They are all handcuffed by the shipping companies.

I might also add, Purolator is head and shoulders over any other parcel service in Canada.

I had an MDT chassis shipped from south ON to south AB overnight for under $50, it was in my hands shortly after 12pm. Incredible.

I've had other retailers cancel my order and ask me to pay more for Purolator when they gave the option of UPS, and then have also ordered from another retailer who shipped UPS after that, to Thunder Bay. But this doesn't bother me, FOC sucks anyways, not going to order from them regardless if they can't be bothered to sort out their shipping or not.

Have ordered ammo from Tenda and they shipped it Purolator, no issues other than a $14 extra charge which I was OK with.

If Purolator is the only option for "rural" areas (since they do not employ contractors which as mentioned is the issue), any retailer not offering that as a shipping option is unnecessarily missing out on business. We don't all live in the GTA.

BTW, this contractor thing can be blamed on Canpar and UPS as they created this mess. Many of these locations used to be serviced by corporate drivers. In the interest of maximizing profits, many smaller depots were shuttered, and drivers were given the option to buy their work truck and work as a branded contractor at a lower rate of pay.

Funny, Purolator is owned by Canada Post. Things couriered here, go from the mainland to my post box by Can Post.

Back
Top Bottom