Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In-Stock Now: Type 81 Low Profile M-LOK Handguard

Alright. Got the rail and installed it. I even took it off and then put it back on again to see if it holds zero.

First off, the install.

It’s pretty easy really and has good instructions. Good to leave everything loose until it’s all installed, then start tightening fasteners. My lower hand guard bolt was too long and left a gap with the new mlok guard after bottoming out. A couple thin washers got it nice and tight. Also, the upper to lower handguard bolts are small, and the included Allen key is a sloppy fit making it easy to round them out. I grabbed a tighter fitting Allen key and had no issues once I did. The whole install comes with another set of hardware too.

The handguard will eliminate your front sling swivel. You don’t have to remove the swivel tho, as it will fit underneath the new mlok guard.

The hand guard will not hold zero after removal and then reinstallation - I just can’t see how it could.

The mlok hand guard will require full disassembly to clean the gas system. You might get a near zero if you’re careful but it won’t be spot on.

It’s a nice handguard and I don’t think this is any of TI’s fault for its shortcomings. It is simply due to the nature of the Type-81 rifle.

It looks sharp and feels of good quality.

Overall, I’m glad I bought one, but glad I didn’t by more then one. Even if I don’t leave it on, I’ll have it in my firearms accessories inventory.

Sponsoring Business Tactical Imports's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jssam View Post
    Is it easy to go back to the wood handguard? Or is this more of a permanent installation.
    Easily reversible, with no permeant modifications to rifle
    Tactical Imports Corp.
    www.tacticalimports.ca
    sales@tacticalimports.ca

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Ipscshooters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffMan View Post
    Alright. Got the rail and installed it. I even took it off and then put it back on again to see if it holds zero.

First off, the install.

It’s pretty easy really and has good instructions. Good to leave everything loose until it’s all installed, then start tightening fasteners. My lower hand guard bolt was too long and left a gap with the new mlok guard after bottoming out. A couple thin washers got it nice and tight. Also, the upper to lower handguard bolts are small, and the included Allen key is a sloppy fit making it easy to round them out. I grabbed a tighter fitting Allen key and had no issues once I did. The whole install comes with another set of hardware too.

The handguard will eliminate your front sling swivel. You don’t have to remove the swivel tho, as it will fit underneath the new mlok guard.

The hand guard will not hold zero after removal and then reinstallation - I just can’t see how it could.

The mlok hand guard will require full disassembly to clean the gas system. You might get a near zero if you’re careful but it won’t be spot on.

It’s a nice handguard and I don’t think this is any of TI’s fault for its shortcomings. It is simply due to the nature of the Type-81 rifle.

It looks sharp and feels of good quality.

Overall, I’m glad I bought one, but glad I didn’t by more then one. Even if I don’t leave it on, I’ll have it in my firearms accessories inventory.
    Thanks for the review, what optic were you using?

Is your field of vision good with the the optic mounted that far down?

I will be using an eotec/airport style prism optic

Not concerned about cleaning the gas system to frequently so maybe every few thousand rounds or so.....

I would like to know how well this holds zero after a few hundred rounds

Quote Originally Posted by Ipscshooters View Post
    Thanks for the review, what optic were you using?

Is your field of vision good with the the optic mounted that far down?

I will be using an eotec/airport style prism optic

Not concerned about cleaning the gas system to frequently so maybe every few thousand rounds or so.....

I would like to know how well this holds zero after a few hundred rounds
    I had a Mepro 21 mounted but the cheek weld was too high. I’ve switched it out for an Aimpoint T1 style dot with a low mount.

Field of view seems good. I expect it’ll hold zero until disassembled. It seems solid but I am concerned about thermal shift.

I’ll see once I dump a few hundred down the pipe in quick succession.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bfiles's Avatar
    Send me some pics Jeff and I'll post then for ya
    CSSA CCFR PROUD MEMBER
    "Sleep in bliss Pops"!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bfiles View Post
    Send me some pics Jeff and I'll post then for ya
    Incoming.

Thanks b

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bfiles's Avatar
    No worries!!

JeffMan pics -

CSSA CCFR PROUD MEMBER
    "Sleep in bliss Pops"!!!!!!

How its the gas selector held in place

Quote Originally Posted by Ionized Odds View Post
    How its the gas selector held in place
    That’s quite clever actually, and speaks to the overall quality - it’s held by a spring loaded ball within the upper handguard. This couldn’t have been the cheapest way to do it, but it sure is slick.

You don’t reuse any parts from your original hand guard.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffMan View Post

My lower hand guard bolt was too long and left a gap with the new mlok guard after bottoming out. A couple thin washers got it nice and tight.
    But how come on TI's photos, the lower handguard bolt seems flushed with no gap.
    They could have used a modded bolt for that.
    If you want to survive...then you must be built for the kill...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast