Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: ROSSI - 454CASULL - MODEL R92 - LEVER ACTION - HARDWOOD STAINLESS STEEL 20 Inch

I own and load for a standard Rossi 45 colt and they seem to take pressure very well, I load Ruger handloading data and seat the bullet out to their recommended COL feeding no issues, I have some room to spare as well. I normally shoot 315gr cast bullets at 1600 fps, that's about all I want from a curved steel butt plate.

If you read some articles or source up Poco Kelly write ups and testing the 45 colt in a Rossi M92, it will be eye opening, he was shooting better the 1600 out of 300 gr bullets. I believe factory 454 from a pistol is around 1600fps add an other 200-250 from a carbine.
    standard Rossi 92s are a strong rifle.

Interesting read....
    https://www.leverguns.com/articles/p...ltlevergun.htm
    Last edited by Bigmedcin; 08-30-2023 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhog View Post
    Can you elaborate on the complaints?

A co-worker of mine just had a custom made 500 S&W from a Rossi R92 in lever action. I am amazed that action can hold all that power!
    I am not sure how that's even possible as a conversion but right on. My complaints are mostly how hard the gun is on brass. .454 is not cheap and most cases come out quite swollen. It's a thing with my .357 R92 as well, tapered chambers. The shell guides are so tight that any ammo that is even the tiniest bit out of round can hang up. Other than that it's great. I'm trying to find a rear sight that doesn't utilize the rear dovetail or taps. No luck unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by B View Post
    I am not sure how that's even possible as a conversion but right on. My complaints are mostly how hard the gun is on brass. .454 is not cheap and most cases come out quite swollen. It's a thing with my .357 R92 as well, tapered chambers. The shell guides are so tight that any ammo that is even the tiniest bit out of round can hang up. Other than that it's great. I'm trying to find a rear sight that doesn't utilize the rear dovetail or taps. No luck unfortunately.
    Thanks for this information!.....
    The only government I trust is 45-70 Government!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    So do they all have sloppy chambers? Was interested in a .357 ?

Quote Originally Posted by B View Post
    I haven't seen his 500 S&W in Rossi R92 as of yet. It started as a 454 Casull and was re-barreled and is being worked over into the 500 S&W.

Apparently it's being built in the USA, I think Alaskan Arms? Not exactly sure of the name.
    The only government I trust is 45-70 Government!

Quote Originally Posted by mbogo3 View Post
    So do they all have sloppy chambers? Was interested in a .357 ?
    The chamber's aren't "sloppy" they are tapered. I believe almost every straight wall cartridge lever gun features that to some degree to ensure smooth feeding into the chamber.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456