Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Another True North Arms Garand horror story. Good dealer but DONT BUY THEIR GARANDS

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fritzhanzel's Avatar
    From my own experience, I will never buy a milsurp from a dealer, no matter which one. They just get them from the distributor, throw them into a corner and sell them. I don't think this is a particular TNA situation to be honest. Personally I think no dealer should be able to sell anything without some kind of warranty. But firearms seem to be a unicorn, no warranty, just sales talk. In this particular situation, you waited a long time to test fire it. Too long. Not I don't believe you but you should have done your part.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
    Yeah, I’m really not sure why some people need to go into full pearl clutching mode whoever a customer shares a less than great experience. Really anything less than fanatical “thanks for the $500 drum (pinned, of course) you rawk”! Seems to get dumped on for no reason here sometimes.
    Canadian consumers are used to taking it lying down, especially firearms consumers. It’s a big problem in Canada right now that commerce is a bit of a mess.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Scotty454's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhog View Post
    Odd thread indeed.

My question is why do people think a M1 Garand is worth the ridiculous asking prices?

Over $2000.00 for a beat up milsurp rifle. Really? A SKS is worth $100.00 not $700.00 or $800.00 either. In my opinion!.........

And what's a new one or refurbished one cost? $4000.00-$5000.00?

I have shot one, it was kind of cool, but not $2000.00 and up cool.

I can't wait to here the M1 Garand guys jump all over me, but I do not see a $2000.00-$4000.00 value for these rifles?

Enlighten me someone, please!....... lol
    This thing happens where demand for something outpaces supply, then that thing becomes more expensive. Also, that thing will generally be worth more over time.

Not a Garand guy, just being realistic.

Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty454 View Post
    This thing happens where demand for something outpaces supply, then that thing becomes more expensive. Also, that thing will generally be worth more over time.

Not a Garand guy, just being realistic.
    Yes of course, I understand supply and demand.

Obviously I too am not a Garand guy either. lol
    The only government I trust is 45-70 Government!

No problems after 60 rounds with mine. Knock on wood lol. I was surprised at how good of shape mine seemed. Wood was new or new old stock, most of the parts are like new. Barrel seemed to be in good shape. Hopefully yours was just 1 lemon part.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty454 View Post
    So it was all in spec, satisfactory condition, no issues, test fired ok.

And then a multiple decades old part failed while you were shooting it. What would you have expected them to do about that ahead of time...? Do you think they knew the part was going to fail but sent it to you anyways?

"Horror story" is being a bit dramatic, don't you think?

Exactly. Sometimes when you buy old stuff you buy something that is just about to break and no one could have known or prevented this. I also dabble in old Harley Davidsons…. Pretty typical.

Different story if this was a new rifle of course….. wk-180 anyone?

This public flaming of people and companies can be taken too far IMO. At the very least you should address the issue privately and let them respond before a public flame job is attempted…

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by fritzhanzel View Post
    From my own experience, I will never buy a milsurp from a dealer, no matter which one. They just get them from the distributor, throw them into a corner and sell them. I don't think this is a particular TNA situation to be honest. Personally I think no dealer should be able to sell anything without some kind of warranty. But firearms seem to be a unicorn, no warranty, just sales talk. In this particular situation, you waited a long time to test fire it. Too long. Not I don't believe you but you should have done your part.
    If they had to offer a warranty on used surplus then you’d never see any for sale. This is not realistic. When you play with old stuff sometimes you can get burned. Period.

CGN frequent flyer
    It is to their credit that they did the right thing. It really should be expected and isn’t over the top or anything though. Yeah, there shouldn’t be “warranties” as such but, if something is advertised as being operational but isn’t, that’s obviously something else entirely.

I cannot imagine expecting a warranty on 80 year old milsurp.

Should've bought an SKS if you wanted the gun to run like a raped ape
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -- George Orwell

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234