Thread: Do you wait for hot barrel to cool down before put it into range bag after shooting?

Do you wait for hot barrel to cool down before put it into range bag after shooting?

Do you normally wait for hot barrel to cool down before put it into range bag after shooting at indoor range? or put it into the bag right away? I'm worried that the barrel would burn out the foam padding inside my bag, or even worse, cause fire hazard. Am I overthinking here?

I would let it cool to the point that you can hold on to it. That's just me though, there is no rule.

I'm probably over anal about that, but I let it cool to the touch before I put it away. Usually by the time I'm done packing up all my other gear, retrieving targets, etc, it's good to go.

Pound of Fire
    Super Moderator
    I let it cool
    Wing Nut

"No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Looks like my concern is valid, I guess I will do the same on my future range visits. Thank you all for good inputs.

Not to discount what the gentlemen have already told you, but your concern of a possible fire hazard is not realistic. Your barrel would have to literally be smoking hot, for that to be a consideration - like running a couple hundred rounds down the pipe on full auto. We're not allowed to do that around here. Your foam should be okay too. Perhaps, over time, the constant exposure to heat, could cause it to degrade, but I'm thinking that would take years and lotsa' hot barrels.