Suppressors are illegal in Canada

Weed was legalized after many years of open use by many people.

Maybe the same can be done with suppressors.

Police are getting suppressors due to them being OHAS. So government sees them as health and safety equipment, but not when comes in the hands of civilians.

suppresses should be mandatory in all indoor range.

Called double up on the ear protection when shooting indoors. a suppressor only drops the DB like 10 or so not enough to prevent ear damage. So it's still gonna echo as duh, its indoors.

Weed was legalized after many years of open use by many people.

Maybe the same can be done with suppressors.

If we enjoyed a similar level of "officer discretion" as weed smokers previously did we'd all be out in the backcountry rockin suppressed, short barreled AR-15s with standard cap mags.

Nope, the white shirts would never allow it.

Police are getting suppressors due to them being OHAS. So government sees them as health and safety equipment, but not when comes in the hands of civilians.

Called double up on the ear protection when shooting indoors. a suppressor only drops the DB like 10 or so not enough to prevent ear damage. So it's still gonna echo as duh, its indoors.

Sure, and I don't think suppressors should be mandatory but the blast concussion from some rifles and some brakes would certainly be made more tolerable indoors and out if suppressors were an option. It may be a 10db difference but it would be 1000 fold real world difference.

Perhaps 100x if we're talking actual measurable difference, but you know what I mean. Decibels aren't measured on a linear scale. And I reckon brakes change the equation.

Last edited:
Sound moderators are not only a benefit to sport shooters. Our wilderness industries such as miners and loggers rely on a full-time marksman for their health and safety. If sound moderators were legal, not only would we improve the health and well-being of ourselves, but of the wildlife as well. Something we don't study is the impact of firearm noise on the environment. When that camp marksman needs to shoot a bear, how many elk go stampeding? Sound moderators would be a net benefit to the public, our industries, and our environment.

Not sure of the validity of this but I heard from a 'firearm expert' who did speak to house of commons (in favour) about firearms. He said the bigger reason is suppressors alter rifling marks left on bullets meaning they aren't able to match bullets to barrels via forensic evidence. Which makes sense to me as the bullet is passing through a secondary surface without rifling. But I don't know of course.

This petition for suppressors has been tabled 9 times since early 2022 with 32-74 signatures to the petition and it gets shut down by the minister of “justice” with the same bs response everytime

“ Sound reduction or elimination diminishes the public’s ability to react to gun shots and makes it difficult for law enforcement to become aware of a possible criminal incident.

Firearms owners can make use of other forms of hearing protection that are commonly available and that do not adversely impact public safety.”

As much as I would love them, I don’t have high hopes we will get them anytime soon…especially with the current government 🤡

& the Justice minister cannot uphold 1 incident where a sound moderator was used in a crime

No they should not. Someone should not be forced to scrap firearms with historical value by threading them for a suppressor if they want to use them at an indoor range. Your logic here is the cause of 99% of the problematic firearms law we have in this country.

Their use should be optional for those that want to use them or not use them.

This is an excellent take. Something many didn't anticipate. Thank you!
I don't believe in 'mandatory' anything BTW.

Not sure of the validity of this but I heard from a 'firearm expert' who did speak to house of commons (in favour) about firearms. He said the bigger reason is suppressors alter rifling marks left on bullets meaning they aren't able to match bullets to barrels via forensic evidence. Which makes sense to me as the bullet is passing through a secondary surface without rifling. But I don't know of course.

I don't believe suppressors make contact with the bullets surface

The bullet should NEVER touch a suppressor baffle. What you heard from this individual is incorrect.

I don't believe suppressors make contact with the bullets surface

The bullet makes contact with suppressor internal parts only if the suppressor is a) misaligned with the bore or b) the holes in the suppressor parts are too small for the calibre being used. Perhaps the 'firearm expert' was referring to the oil filters being repurposed as suppressors by some in the USA, using a threaded adapter? In such cases there is obviously bullet contact with the device, as the first hole is made by the bullet the first time one fires a shot with the thing mounted, and I suppose subsequent shots would likely make some contact with the steel shell of the oil filter as well. But this is not really a good argument, as a properly made, properly mounted suppressor will never make contact with the bullet. Only the sorts used by criminals would do that - cheaply improvised suppressors put together using hand tools or poor machining skills are unlikely to be properly aligned, unlike commercially manufactured devices such as the hundreds of thousands sold in the USA, the UK, Germany, France, and all sorts of other countries where these devices are allowed, or even encouraged.

Some places, NZ I believe, the use of suppressors is not encouraged but mandated.
Kinda disproves Canada's argument that suppressors aren't safe. Ridiculous Canadian laws.

This petition for suppressors has been tabled 9 times since early 2022 with 32-74 signatures to the petition and it gets shut down by the minister of “justice” with the same bs response everytime

“ Sound reduction or elimination diminishes the public’s ability to react to gun shots and makes it difficult for law enforcement to become aware of a possible criminal incident.

Firearms owners can make use of other forms of hearing protection that are commonly available and that do not adversely impact public safety.”

As much as I would love them, I don’t have high hopes we will get them anytime soon…especially with the current government 🤡
I'll fight my next loud exhaust ticket with the same reasoning.

Back
Top Bottom