Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How is anyones experience with the Lockhart Raven?

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerDanz View Post
    Are you going to add a bushing for the front take down pin since the original hand guard filled the gap between the tangs on the mag well?

Did the shorter hand guard require a barrel nut swap?
    No bushing appears to be required to "fill in" the missing Handguard piece with the Front Takedown Pin. The shorter Handguard came with its own Barrel Nut, but it also just slid right over the LTAC Nut, so I just left the original Barrel Nut in place.
    Mark C

Quote Originally Posted by Tvw View Post
    Huh..I have been in this same conundrum. Off the batt I really like the OEM handguard length. After time with the rifle and the play that has come with its use. I find myself looking at the same handguard offering of which you have, however I have been looking at the 15"/17" offerings. I like less barrel showing and do not want to run a fake can to take up exposed barrel. That 13" does look good and the more I look at that I find myself like it more. Maybe it is just cause I dont have it! What is the muzzle device you have installed with the factory HG Bartok?
    An aftermarket Handguard will definitely provide you with the rigidity that you desire, thus ensuring that the Gas Block does not contact the Handguard, etc. My 13.5" Handguard is rock-solid on the OEM Barrel Nut. There is zero slop/play, unlike the LTAC arrangement with the Handguard retained by the Front Takedown Pin. Take a look at the Raven thread that I started under "Black and Green Rifles" - on page 2 there are caliper measurements for the Barrel Nut and the Handguard, with .002" difference accounting for the Handguard wobble/slop. One way to reduce (if not eliminate) the Handguard wobble is to apply a layer of the thin, self-adhesive Aluminum Duct Tape to the Barrel Nut in order to eliminate that .002" of slop. It makes the OEM handguard more difficult to remove and replace, but the extra layer over part of the Barrel Nut makes all the difference in taking the slack out of the Handguard/Barrel Nut interface.

The Muzzle Device on the rifle in Factory Handguard configuration is a Griffin Armament Gen 1, Slide-Lock, Blast Diffuser/Flash-Can over top of the indexed Griffin Flash-Comp seen in the 2nd Photo.
    Mark C

CGN Regular
    Thanks for the info. Considered adding the duct tape to the nut however I have learnt to deal with it. Making my mind up on whatever handguard I choose. TNA units look to be a great fit and bang for your buck. Damn near fit the "body lines" perfect.

Threw a S&J micro linear comp on for a different look today, not sure how it would look with 3" of barrel between it and the HG.

Open to all ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Tvw View Post
    Thanks for the info. Considered adding the duct tape to the nut however I have learnt to deal with it. Making my mind up on whatever handguard I choose. TNA units look to be a great fit and bang for your buck. Damn near fit the "body lines" perfect.

Threw a S&J micro linear comp on for a different look today, not sure how it would look with 3" of barrel between it and the HG.

Open to all ideas!
    If you do add tape to the Barrel Nut, be sure to use the solid aluminum tape (like pop-tin material, only much thinner), as anything with material or plastic involved will obviously melt when your chamber temps climb.

The TNA basic Handguard for $150 lines up perfectly with the contours of the Raven Upper Receiver - like they were made for one another.

Good luck! Post some pics once you decide what to do, or multiple pics like I did if you want opinions....
    Mark C

LOVE the shorter handrail

Shorter handrail for sure, looks badass. I am very much considering the Raven 556 as my first Semi sporting rifle.

Is this the one? Is it a direct drop in? I am by no means a gun tech (VERY much a newbie) and hoping I wont need to do any customization.

**Image and video linking functions will be enabled after you have contributed more to the forum**

Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    Trying to decide on which look I prefer for my Raven. At first, I hated the full-length Handguard, but I must admit that it has been steadily growing on me. What do you guys think? Full-length, or 13.5" partial Handguard?

**Image and video linking functions will be enabled after you have contributed more to the forum**

That is pretty slick

Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    Trying to decide on which look I prefer for my Raven. At first, I hated the full-length Handguard, but I must admit that it has been steadily growing on me. What do you guys think? Full-length, or 13.5" partial Handguard?

I’d say the partial, but both options look awesome. Following this, curious about the overall review too. Can’t you spec different triggers when ordering?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
    I’d say the partial, but both options look awesome. Following this, curious about the overall review too. Can’t you spec different triggers when ordering?
    Yes, you can specify the upgraded TriggerTech AR15 "Duty" Trigger with a non-adjustable, 3.5 lb single-stage pull for a $243 Upcharge. That is cheaper than you could purchase the same trigger as an after-market accessory, so it makes sense to upgrade at the time of ordering your rifle. Other things that make sense at the time of ordering are the Top Charging Handle, the Extended Take-Down Pins, the Aluminum Empty Casing Deflector (which works in conjunction the Dust Cover if you want to install one of those) and the Left Side Cocking Slot Cover. The latter 2 items are available cheaper on Gunpost as 3D-printed accessories, however the factory aluminum examples are much nicer in appearance. Don't bother ordering any of the following parts/accessories (unless you genuinely want them):

- Anti-Walk Trigger/Hammer Pin Set
    - Extended Safety Selector
    - Muzzle Brake (OK, but different designs are avaliable cheaper elsewhere such as True North Arms (TNA))
    - Rear 3-Way Sling Mount
    - Adjustable Buffer (you are better off to buy a standard H or H1 Buffer with the Tungsten Powder inside to prevent Bolt-Carrier-Bounce)
    - Competition Flared Magwell
    - Picatinny Rails (cheaper elsewhere)
    - QD Sling Mount
    - Harris Bipod Mount (not necessary unless running a Harris brand Bipod)
    - Wear Parts Kit (not necessary - buy replacement parts once you know what you need)
    - Upgraded Magpul Furniture
    - Magazines (cheaper elsewhere by ordering online from the various site sponsors)

Anything that you miss can always be ordered after the fact using LTAC's Parts Pages at no additional cost (aside from postage). So no need to worry about ordering any of the "extras" right away.

Hope this helps!
    Mark C

I been looking at the Raven 5.56 for the past 2 month.. Im kinda scared to pull the trigger on one as i seen people that love it and hate it for the cycling issue. Yet again, its hard to find a good semi-auto 5.56 in Candad

I was on their website as I'm considering this as my first rifle. Haven't seen much talk about the 7.62 version, anyone care to comment why? thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12