Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is anyones experience with the Lockhart Raven?

How is anyones experience with the Lockhart Raven?

My main question is how does it stack up against the SG540, Bren 2, Crusader, Rk18. I'm looking at getting back into the 5.56 calibre and trying to decide between all these fun options! Also this is my second post to join the gun trading forum so hoping to see the cool stuff yall are looking to trade or sell here in a bit!

Welcome. Following. It looks like a good option

Yeah it seems like a very good Canada-made option, it would be nice to be able to support some of the stuff we make so Im kind of deciding between it and the RK18, but if they just aren't it I'm hoping the SG540 or Bren 2 could fill the void

I am considering the Lockhart Raven as my next 5.56mm purchase. We shall see, as I would like to read and/or watch more extended reviews including the new Gen 2 BCG....
    Mark C

Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    I am considering the Lockhart Raven as my next 5.56mm purchase. We shall see, as I would like to read and/or watch more extended reviews including the new Gen 2 BCG....
    there's probably a few waiting on your review of the Raven
    Live free or die

Unfortunately, I may have a busy Nov/Dec testing a new .308 cal, AR180B-based platform for another vendor. A Raven review would likely have to wait until the New Year.

What I REALLY want to review is one of these new Makasi AR15/FN FAL "Mash-Up" rifles, which ought to be classified NR if someone (like IRG) will import ra ebarrelled 18.5" for the RCMP Lab's review. Receivers and major components are proprietary, so there ought to be no question of pedigree. It is a unique platform that is gathering good reviews.

Mark C

Having thoroughly examined, tinkered with, and fired my new Raven with replacement Mid-Length Gas System Barrel, I have to say that the Lockhart Tactical (LTAC) Raven is a more refined option than just about everything on your lest excepting the Bren 2. Think AR15, and you are awfully close in terms of the handling and firing experience. Accuracy is above average at under 2 MOA with bulk 55gr ammo and reliability with the new Barrel and Gas System is outstanding so far. The ambi controls and their familiar layout make the Raven very fast and intuitive to handle. The weight and balance are excellent, making the Raven very fast handling and lively in the hands.

Based on all of the above, I am impressed with the Raven thus far. I think that it has great potential to replace the AR15 within many Canadian shooters' collections, being just different enough to be its own, unique firearm. Although mine had initial issues with the Barrel being improperly machined, LTAC's Customer Service was outstanding in every regard and they got me back up and running with a new, mid-length Barrel within 5 business days, free of charge (of course). You quite honestly couldn't ask for more, other than the Barrel to have been correct from the outset. Blame that one on the sub-contractor who got it wrong just in time for the rifle's launch....

The LTAC Raven "Platinum" edition with a few extras (Brass Deflector, Left Side Cocking Slot Cover) came out to approximately $3400, so considerably less expensive than a converted NR Bren 2 with a non-CHF after-market Barrel at close to $5K. And with the LTAC Raven you get the switch-caliber capability with the unique 2-part Lower Receiver.
    Last edited by tiriaq; 10-30-2023 at 08:35 PM.
    Mark C

Trying to decide on which look I prefer for my Raven. At first, I hated the full-length Handguard, but I must admit that it has been steadily growing on me. What do you guys think? Full-length, or 13.5" partial Handguard?

Mark C

Are you going to add a bushing for the front take down pin since the original hand guard filled the gap between the tangs on the mag well?

Did the shorter hand guard require a barrel nut swap?
    “When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will be free.”

CGN Regular
    Huh..I have been in this same conundrum. Off the batt I really like the OEM handguard length. After time with the rifle and the play that has come with its use. I find myself looking at the same handguard offering of which you have, however I have been looking at the 15"/17" offerings. I like less barrel showing and do not want to run a fake can to take up exposed barrel. That 13" does look good and the more I look at that I find myself like it more. Maybe it is just cause I dont have it! What is the muzzle device you have installed with the factory HG Bartok?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast