Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st Post, next step after 22lr.

Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    lol Your dad is not wrong.

One thing to consider with milsurps is feeding them. With the exception of the SKS (and to a lesser extent the Mosin) most of them require expensive ammo. Mounting a scope is another thing to consider if you want to go that direction, scoping a modern bolt action is typically super easy, meanwhile milsurps are a crap shoot - some are easy, so are not. Definitely something to look into before pulling the trigger on one.

Milsurp isn't the only way to go for a cheap gun, Savage Axis w/a scope is $470+tax at Cabelas right now. Not a sexy rifle, but they use common ammo and tend to shoot very well. For under $1000 there are LOTS of options that are nicer than the Axis.

If you're more of a wood stock fan these guys have a lot of older used rifles in a variety of calibers, certainly worth a look: https://intersurplus.com/
    Sorry to bother again, I spent the entire day window shopping for milsurp, if possible, could you give me some example of nice bolt guns under $1000 better than the axis? Ive seen a lot of axis on gunpost, cabelas, etc. but if I could get my hands on something nice I would not be against it!

Cheers and TIA!

Uber Super GunNutz
    To follow up about scope mounting on elder mil-surps - most were stocked to use iron sights - scopes almost always higher - so, might consider to include a cheek riser in any plans - some people don't, and do not care - some people notice they can not do cheek weld and have to do "side of jaw" weld, or "chin weld" - up to the shooter what they get used to, I think. Usually have to learn and equip self for 6-48 and 8-40 scope mount holes / threads, or find someone who can do that - three or four holes in a perfectly straight line.

Also, some bolt action mil-surps had bolts or safeties that will not clearance a normal mounted scope - some like P14 and M1917 seem fine for that - many Mausers (93, 96, 98) are not. So might have to consider bolt handle alteration, and variation to safety function, in order to mount a scope.
    Last edited by Potashminer; 12-02-2023 at 08:51 PM.
    The DEVIL caught me with my head down, and thought he had won - until I said "AMEN"!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    There are many older used hunting rifles around for less then a grand with or without scopes.... We are heading into a buyers marked for used items so prices will likely improve even more.

Typically after Hubting season/Christmas people might be looking to move some guns and with the cost of everything rising some people need to sell to help pay off debt.

Suther gave good advice on uses and calibers, sounds to me like your on your way to having a collection, if you make a wish list and then keep an eye on the E.E. and places like Intersurplus you should find plenty of options randomly.
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

Taking note of that, really appreciated the advice! I think I am going for the Sportized SMLE Mk3 that my neighbor offered me, and also will teach me how to reload .303 which will definitely be a neat experience. And prob that will be it until after Christmas like Can-down is saying, gives me time to save up as well

A wishlist sounds like a good idea, will be working on a spreadsheet over my Christmas leave, I heard about the fact that many people overpay on their credit card and cannot paid it back, so they sell some items for cheap on used marketplace, never thought it was the same with guns, it wouldn't be a bad idea to save up until next year instead of rushing to buy without researching first. Cheers for the heads-up !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12