Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I screwed up a few years ago, PAL being denied - no criminal record

I'm always leery about threads like this from a guy who just signed up.

You never know who is just fishing if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaJohn View Post
    I'm always leery about threads like this from a guy who just signed up.

You never know who is just fishing if you know what I mean.
    Totally understandable. Thats definately not whats happening. I just wanted some advice to compare to what the lawyer (Ed) is telling me. I signed up anonymously so I dont muddy the waters in any applications or legal processes moving forward.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KonstantinPole View Post
    Totally understandable. Thats definately not whats happening. I just wanted some advice to compare to what the lawyer (Ed) is telling me. I signed up anonymously so I dont muddy the waters in any applications or legal processes moving forward.
    Well, what is the lawyer telling you?
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

First get FOI, than act based on information

Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    Well, what is the lawyer telling you?
    He's said that you can take challenege a condition at the superior court within 30 days of the lisence being granted, but at great cost.

The CFO says I can apply for a license but I do have this in my background as well as they were worried about "mental health". I can get a certificate from the doctor showing I am mentally fine, I had some Chronic pain in the last that made things worse for me but Ive largely resolved it. The woman I spoke to at CFO said she doesn't know if I would be denied or not and said I would likely be subject to the same special condition of no on property storage. The CFO office said they may revisited it and remove it at renewal time, but thats 5 years from now.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Scotty454's Avatar
    ...If most of these interactions happened around your home, how did you go that entire time without setting up some sort of surveillance? Given that you're saying he was making a lot of false accusations, being able to prove them false would be EVERYTHING, would it not? Hindsight and all that, but... Jeez.

Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty454 View Post
    ...If most of these interactions happened around your home, how did you go that entire time without setting up some sort of surveillance? Given that you're saying he was making a lot of false accusations, being able to prove them false would be EVERYTHING, would it not? Hindsight and all that, but... Jeez.
    We had a full surveilance system. I have a video of him threatening me. I have records of his family apologizing for the property damage. I have an audio recording of him assulting me (its audio because the phone was dropped). I did show the police, but they did not pursue charges. For property damage they suggested civil litigation.

Pound of Fire
    Super Moderator
    Like others have said, apply and see what the response is.

I will tell you that there are guys who have had issues, be they legal or mental health wise, and they do get PALs as they've dealt with or are handling the situation.
    Wing Nut

"No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cement head's Avatar
    Hello,

Sorry for the long story. I would like some advice.

My wife applied for her RPAL and it was granted after a year, but came with the condition that she cannot store guns or ammo in any residence I occupy. She has also lost interest in having an RPAL in the last year and just wants a regular PAL, not sure if that will make a difference.

I was hoping to apply for a PAL to go hunting, but I with the above situation, I know it will just be denied.

I have no criminal record and never have. I know the reason why this is likely happening. During the Pandemic I got into an ongoing conflict with my neighbour. He was an ex special constable who was given early retirement for mental issues and going through a messy divorce. He was abusive and a serial cheater. He was still good friends with the police department though and his Facebook had pictures of him hanging out with the cops and other such things.

He would frequently get into conflicts with neighbours and call the police. The first time he did this on me was because I was using a leaf blower during our renovations. This escalated over the years, at first with me being very cooperative with the PD but eventually becoming agitated as it seemed like harassment.

He threatened to kill me, threatened to sexually assault my wife and exposed himself to her, would taunt me about my dead father, suggest he was going to sexually assault me, would "accidentally" send people for his weird selling business to our house, sometimes after dark. Sometimes he'd violate my property line or damage our property. This went on for three years and any time he had the chance he'd call the police and claim he was threatened. One time he called the police on me claiming I had a weapon which was an exacto blade I was using for the renovations outside I was doing. Police came out and told me to "drop the weapon" which I did. I showed them the roots that were being cut with it, my wife talked to the officer and no charges were laid.

He would also call parking services if he saw me working with an axe or jack. This caused them to come out and report I had "axes and tire irons" and felt threatened. I was doing major landscaping renos like retaining wall construction and would never be outside without a whole wack load of tools. Eventually he hit me in the back of the head and we tussled. I did have a blade on me during this but I didn't take it out. No charges were ever laid but some of the cops were definitely not very impartial when coming out. My wife even reported one of the officers because he showed up at 11 at night and threatened us physically. Many of the officer we interacted with were very good, some were not.

Eventually it started to wear on my mental health and the constant harassment calls from police made me confrontation with them and very worried about what he might do. I even asked the officers about the option of getting a firearm to protect myself if he made good on his threats. I now realize this was the dumbest thing I could have said, but I didn't have malicious intent, I was started to get seriously freaked out by the situation and was worried. I was just naive and hadn't been keeping up with firearms laws and the whole "firearms are never for self defence" culture that has become the official line in Canada.

We moved out of the house and city to escape the situation. Its been almost two years now, no interactions with Police, no problems. I have a good education and am mentally stable but looking back on this situation I handled it really badly and played into this guys hands and let him rile me up.

Now Im realizing this is a serious problem for getting my hunting license. I previous had a FAC but let it lapse. I am working with a lawyer to see if my wifes condition can be removed or if there is anyway I can ever get my regular PAL.

Yes I am dumb and would do it totally differently if I could, but there's probably like 6-8 biased police reports. No charges, no history of trouble. Can a person come back from something like this if they were never convicted of a crime?

Unless you were criminality charged then go apply for your Pal .

Hello,

Sorry for the long story. I would like some advice.

My wife applied for her RPAL and it was granted after a year, but came with the condition that she cannot store guns or ammo in any residence I occupy. She has also lost interest in having an RPAL in the last year and just wants a regular PAL, not sure if that will make a difference.

I was hoping to apply for a PAL to go hunting, but I with the above situation, I know it will just be denied.

I have no criminal record and never have. I know the reason why this is likely happening. During the Pandemic I got into an ongoing conflict with my neighbour. He was an ex special constable who was given early retirement for mental issues and going through a messy divorce. He was abusive and a serial cheater. He was still good friends with the police department though and his Facebook had pictures of him hanging out with the cops and other such things.

He would frequently get into conflicts with neighbours and call the police. The first time he did this on me was because I was using a leaf blower during our renovations. This escalated over the years, at first with me being very cooperative with the PD but eventually becoming agitated as it seemed like harassment.

He threatened to kill me, threatened to sexually assault my wife and exposed himself to her, would taunt me about my dead father, suggest he was going to sexually assault me, would "accidentally" send people for his weird selling business to our house, sometimes after dark. Sometimes he'd violate my property line or damage our property. This went on for three years and any time he had the chance he'd call the police and claim he was threatened. One time he called the police on me claiming I had a weapon which was an exacto blade I was using for the renovations outside I was doing. Police came out and told me to "drop the weapon" which I did. I showed them the roots that were being cut with it, my wife talked to the officer and no charges were laid.

He would also call parking services if he saw me working with an axe or jack. This caused them to come out and report I had "axes and tire irons" and felt threatened. I was doing major landscaping renos like retaining wall construction and would never be outside without a whole wack load of tools. Eventually he hit me in the back of the head and we tussled. I did have a blade on me during this but I didn't take it out. No charges were ever laid but some of the cops were definitely not very impartial when coming out. My wife even reported one of the officers because he showed up at 11 at night and threatened us physically. Many of the officer we interacted with were very good, some were not.

Eventually it started to wear on my mental health and the constant harassment calls from police made me confrontation with them and very worried about what he might do. I even asked the officers about the option of getting a firearm to protect myself if he made good on his threats. I now realize this was the dumbest thing I could have said, but I didn't have malicious intent, I was started to get seriously freaked out by the situation and was worried. I was just naive and hadn't been keeping up with firearms laws and the whole "firearms are never for self defence" culture that has become the official line in Canada.

We moved out of the house and city to escape the situation. Its been almost two years now, no interactions with Police, no problems. I have a good education and am mentally stable but looking back on this situation I handled it really badly and played into this guys hands and let him rile me up.

Now Im realizing this is a serious problem for getting my hunting license. I previous had a FAC but let it lapse. I am working with a lawyer to see if my wifes condition can be removed or if there is anyway I can ever get my regular PAL.

Yes I am dumb and would do it totally differently if I could, but there's probably like 6-8 biased police reports. No charges, no history of trouble. Can a person come back from something like this if they were never convicted of a crime? After such an event, I decided to write a story about how important it is to control your emotions. I wanted to do this quality work so that it would be useful to a large number of people, so I started looking for help on the Internet. Found **Image and video linking functions will be enabled after you have contributed more to the forum** this is a great resource that helped me get the job done quickly and efficiently. There are real professionals working there, I hope I will bring good things to a large number of people.
    I'm sorry to hear about the challenging situation you've been through with your neighbor. It sounds incredibly stressful. It's positive that you've taken steps to address it, including seeking legal advice regarding your firearms license. Thank you!
    Last edited by Dorothyhutcherson; 04-08-2024 at 04:29 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast