Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dual purpose rifle for shooting and hunting.

Dual purpose rifle for shooting and hunting.

Hello, new to Canadian Gun Nutz here... I have hunted some (cow moose this fall) and now I find that I'm getting more into shooting. I currently have a 300 Weatherby, 30-06 and 7mm. The issue is, after a dozen or so shots I do start to feel it in the shoulder and I'm worried I might develop a flinch if I keep shooting these. So I'm on the market for a new rifle to shoot with. Something that shoots flat and accurately out to at least 500yards....and I can possibly hunt with. Maybe not Moose/Elk but perhaps deer. I've scoured the internet and there's lots of opinions. I found this article by Jim Harmer that was very helpful in giving me the recoil information I was looking for. https://backfire.tv/recoil/ I've laid all the information in the article out in a SpreadSheet and narrowed it down to a few options (ops unfortunately I can't post pictures yet) . But, there might be more to it then that. Looking for any advice to help me decide.

My Objectives in order are:
    1) Good to shoot volume (low Recoil, accurate to 500 yards)
    2) Ammo readily available and not terribly expensive (I do not hand load)
    3) Capable of Hunting 300-500yards

Short list is:
    .308 Winchester
    .270 Winchester
    6.5 PRC
    7mm-08 Remington
    6.5 Creedmoor

I'm maybe leaning towards the 7mm-08 or 6.5 PRC

Thanks in advance.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    You basically listed off the most common answers that youll recieve here. The 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor are the vanilla choices that check all of your boxes. Affordable, readily available, bulk ammo availible, both suites for deer etc.

The PRC will cost close to double as much and ammo won't be as available.

6.5x55 (Swede) is another one to consider, especially since you reload.
    .338 is where the fun starts.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    I would say you already have hunting covered, especially at longer ranges with a 300bee and 7mm (I assume you mean 7 rem mag?)

So given that, I would be looking for something with light recoil. I like 7mm stuff, so 7mm08 gets my vote. Not much around these parts that can't be taken care of with a 140gr 7mm bullet started at 2900fps.

6.5CM would be good too, I just have no love for the 6.5mm bore for some reason and you'll get better velocity with the 7mm08.

Edit - just reread the OP, and given he doesn't handload 308 and 6.5creed are the cheapest to feed so I'd go with one of those. ACTUALLY No. I'd go 223rem for volume shooting and just use one of the other rifles he already has to hunt.
    Last edited by Suther; 01-08-2024 at 09:48 PM.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Uber Super GunNutz
    Maybe from "olden days" - do not overlook the old version of 7mm-08 - that was known for decades as the 7mm - we call it 7x57 today. I used one for circa 15 years to hunt whitetail and mule deer in Saskatchewan - I was loading 150 grain Partitions, but I doubt anything magic about that bullet or weight for that purpose - in earlier days testing, I thought those 150's made better groups than the 140's or 160's, but I was not really very rigorous about that testing. For what you want, if you load 150 grain or 160 grain in your 7mm Rem Mag, will be about satisfactory in a 7x57 also - but often, rifles prefer certain loadings - not a slam dunk "for sure" thing. My deer hunting 7x57 used to be a Ruger No. 1, so length of cartridge made about no difference to me. My current one is an elderly Husqvarna Model 4100 - so there is 1-12" twist in that barrel (for some reason??) - I got some 140 grain Woodleigh PP SN bullets for that one - about the shortest "hunting weight" bullet that I could come across.

And, before thinking about another gun, learn to hand load and gear up for that. I do not think there is any "inexpensive" ammunition any more - even compared to 5 years ago. Once you are geared up with gizmos, and stocked up with supplies, the availability thing just goes away - is all within your control.

You will soon run into the "picket fence" dilemma if you have not already - going to be few hunting shots that will demonstrate the difference between a 300 Weatherby and a 30-06 - those two will perform very similar for 90% of hunting shots. Maybe consider a 25 caliber - 257 Roberts or 260 Rem. Or a 24 caliber - 243 Win or 6mm Rem. And so on.
    Last edited by Potashminer; 01-08-2024 at 09:29 PM.
    The DEVIL caught me with my head down, and thought he had won - until I said "AMEN"!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    The 7x57 really opens up your bullet options. I stick to light stuff in my 7mm08 because COAL limitations make it so I lose too much powder space with heavier bullets, most anything vld, or monometals. Not really an issue with a 7x57, but it doesn't fit in a short action and not a lot of factory rifle options these days.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

You guys are going to drown him in information.

See if your local store carries more 308,270,or 6.5cm. Then get a tika t3x or ruger American predator in that chambering.

A 7mm-08 is literally just a smaller 308 round.
    Check my post history to see my BRNO Mo. 3 Redux, and a 3D printed M1 Chassis for the Lil' Badger.
    https://julius-jahn.imgbb.com/

I did something similar recently. I’ve got a few switch barrel tikka’s that run an assortment of cartridges (constantly evolving as I pickup or sell barrels.

I had the chance to get a rem 700 footprint rifle in left hand on a trade and had the choice of 308 and 6.5 creed.

I had the 6.5 covered via a 6.5 prc and 6.5x55 Swede(which was my original fun target barrel) I didn’t want another one (funny enough I have a 6.5 creed barrel in the mail a couple months later - with plans to sell I just wanted the action) I also have a 338 Rcm that will throw heavier punches when I need it.

I have a 308 barrel for my tikka but it’s a heavy weight ftr barrel that’s for sale currently. An I don’t own any 30s right now. So I ended up picking a 308. 308 is easy to load for and tons of components available on the market figured it was an easy choice. I also found 308 Palma brass locally that allows me to shoot lots as I have a few bricks of small rifle primers and nothing else that shoots them. Originally I wanted a 7mm-08 but takes myself out of it with plans to build a 7PRC/7-6.5prcw barrel at some point.

For me this made it an easy choice but I handload and like to fiddle.

Honestly 6.5 creed or 308 a you really can’t go wrong for what you’re thinking. The ammo and knowledge resources are endless. A buddy of mine picked up a new 308 not that long ago either cause he had a ton of ammo kicking around. I did shoot a 308 and 6.5 creed side by side a few weeks back before I had surgery and thought the recoil was more pleasant on the 6.5 creed but I could shoot both all day long even with a herniated disc. However that could have been stocks and the fact that I was testing a RH rifle in 6.5 and my personal rifle in 308 and LH. (Both same action and barrel brands just different stocks)

Hopefully this helps and isn’t just rambling…

Cheers,
    B
    I shoot wrong handed.... Sue Me! (Lefties Unite)
    I like to take photos of Firearm Related Stuff, Wildlife and Landscapes.
    Forever dreaming of a Blaser R8 - The ultimate switch-barrel rifle.

https://bandrphotography.ca/

CGN Ultra frequent flyer maple_leaf_eh's Avatar
    Three O Eight for the Win ... (get it?).

Seriously, of the options in discussion, there is only one realistic choice for wide ammunition availability, options for knock down power and accuracy, as well as cost of ammunition. The 6.5s are popular in the gun press now, but inevitably will be replaced by something newer and swankier. Thirty-five years ago the darling was the 7-08. Anyone remember the clamour that if it wasn't a short fat magnum it wasn't worth lifting off the rack? Or how 6.5 x .284 was the only round needed between gophers and grizzlies? A .308 will be infinitely easier to feed in a small town gun store or crossroads community Canadian Tire than something fadish.

I was at the range a few months ago and a guy had his brand new 6.5 something. It was loud and had a muzzle brake. It barked! The ammo boxes were pretty and I saw the price sticker. Twenty rounds was $80 retail! Those are expensive sighting in rounds, expensive settling down to learn your rifle rounds, and expensive to get practised rounds. If a guy has a family and bills to cover, that kind of outlay every trip to the range has a trade-off. Sooner or later, he'll start hating that gun.

On the other hand, a case of 200 7.62x51 FMJ won't hurt the subconscience nearly as much. For a new shooter, there is no substitute for trigger time. (In case you are worried - they are the same, especially if fired from a modern well made rifle. Yeah yeah yeah, a hundred ink-stained wretches in the gun press have staked their reputations and retirements firmly extolling the least useful arguments on differences between .308 and 7.62x51.) Once the new shooter is comfortable and familiar with his rifle, he can start shopping for good ammo and deciding what works best.

Until then, happy trails and good shooting.
    Jean Charest after coming a distant second to Pierre Poilievre. “You deserve a clean slate and the opportunity to unite the membership. ... Only Liberals benefit from a divided (Conservative Party).” Will the malcontents listen?

6.5 Creedmoor.

The Ingredients for reloading are plentiful.
    Variety of bullet weights.

Is a new stock on the 30-06 an option? A poorly fitted or lightweight rifle in most of those calibers can still make for an unpleasant day at the range. The worst felt recoil of any rifle I’ve ever owned was a tang safety ruger m77, just didn’t fit. For comparison an unbraked, bench rested 300 weatherly felt nicer on my shoulder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast