44 vs 357 rossi r92

stockcar15

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get either a 44, or 357 rossi R92 lever action, to then take apart and add ranger point precision parts. Does anyone have any advice to what calibre they prefer, or any advice when building a lever action with ranger precision parts? Thank you. (third post!!!)

I had a 44 magnum Mare's Leg. It was lively if you didn't handload.
357 would be interesting. I found them to be quite sharp as far as report...maybe the 12"+ barrel on a rifle would tame that down to reasonable levels.
I ended up with a ML in 45 LC and love it. 14 K psi pressure is much nicer than 36+ K... just is IMO
Of course my opinion and about 2$ will get you a coffee. Ain't worth much, lol

The Rossi 1892 is a very light rifle, I guess full power 44 magnum will recoil like a 300 WIN Magnum in an average hunting bolt action rifle.

I would go with the 357, less recoil, can shoot cheaper 38 special etc...

In my experience recoil would not should not be a big factor between the two. I find the Rossi 44mag w a 16” barrel recoils milder than a 30-30.

I've found 44 mag to be very mild in both 16 and 20" barrels, w/ full stocks. 357 ammo can be quite a bit cheaper however.

In my experience recoil would not should not be a big factor between the two. I find the Rossi 44mag w a 16” barrel recoils milder than a 30-30.

I found factory loads to be 'Sharp' with excessive muzzle blast in the 44 ML. It was much better with an appropriate load of 4227 and 200 gr.
OP didn't stipulate what he was going to do with it. Bear protection...44 or 45.
Plinking...357 is a great option. I don't know for sure but 38 special might cycle through it...that would be pleasant to shoot.

My 16" R92 in 357 is in my top 2 favorite all around utility guns.
The short barrel can still get excellent velocities with handloads. I got an average of 2090 f/s with 125gr XTP and max loads of H110. My 158gr loads averaged 1790 f/s with H110 and my puff loads using power pistol and titegroup still got 1450 -1500 f/s with 158gr jacketed bullets. (Rem, Win, Speer)
So much fun to shoot. Other than a peep sight, mine is bone stock. Never had a malfunction in hundreds of rounds. Mine is newer made on CNC machinery.

The Rossi 1892 is a very light rifle, I guess full power 44 magnum will recoil like a 300 WIN Magnum in an average hunting bolt action rifle.

I would go with the 357, less recoil, can shoot cheaper 38 special etc...
Nah, even in the ranch hand a load of w296 pushin 240gr is a pussycat to shoot even one handed. It’s loud but doesn’t recoil bad.

I recently bought a Rossi R92 in .454 Casull.

Yes it's a light rifle and the recoil is a bit stout but not too bad.

Hope to get a deer with it next season.

I've always wondered if the 454 C has the same receiver as the 45 LC? Logically one receiver for all the 92's would be the cheapest way to go. But 454 C is a beacoup stout cartridge...so it may be sporting a stouter one.

Looking to get either a 44, or 357 rossi R92 lever action, to then take apart and add ranger point precision parts. Does anyone have any advice to what calibre they prefer, or any advice when building a lever action with ranger precision parts? Thank you. (third post!!!)

I've never heard or ranger precision parts. me myself I'd take the 44 . if you ever feel so inclined to go deer hunting it's a better caliber . if your just going to plink go for the 357 which will still work on deer but the 44 will do a better job . if you aren't wealthy then look into getting a single stage reloading press and roll your own . not sure how strong a Rossi action is but I've fired some decent loads out of a Marlin 44 . you know it . they blew right through a tree . hunting 44mag . playing around the 357 . your question has been answered .

I've always wondered if the 454 C has the same receiver as the 45 LC? Logically one receiver for all the 92's would be the cheapest way to go. But 454 C is a beacoup stout cartridge...so it may be sporting a stouter one.

I've wondered the same, but have found no info either way.

I have a 16" stainless R92 in .44 mag and if I had to get rid of everything except one rifle, I would keep that one. Recoil with factory loads is a bit stout but the muzzle blast makes it seem worse, at least with light bullets (lots of poweder, big fireballs). I put a grind to fit limbsaver on mine so it's very reasonable to shoot full power loads. If you hand load and cast for it, you can load some mild recoiling rounds that are a pleasure to shoot all day long, 240 grain soft point deer loads or some 300 grain bear loads for camp. It's a very versatile caliber.

Having said that, I've never even shot a .357 but while you can down load the .44 to .357 levels, you can't load .357 to .44 levels.

looking for something I can shoot at the range for fun, but also have the flexibility to use it as something to hunt down the road potentially. I just don't know what I'd be hunting. I am very eager to build a "modernized" lever action, and I figured .357, or 44 would be a great options

Back
Top Bottom