Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 44 vs 357 rossi r92

CGN Ultra frequent flyer tokguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaJohn View Post
    I recently bought a Rossi R92 in .454 Casull.

Yes it's a light rifle and the recoil is a bit stout but not too bad.

Hope to get a deer with it next season.
    I've always wondered if the 454 C has the same receiver as the 45 LC? Logically one receiver for all the 92's would be the cheapest way to go. But 454 C is a beacoup stout cartridge...so it may be sporting a stouter one.
    Red Adair " arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig, you get all covered in s--t; and the only one who has any fun is the pig "

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cement head's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stockcar15 View Post
    Looking to get either a 44, or 357 rossi R92 lever action, to then take apart and add ranger point precision parts. Does anyone have any advice to what calibre they prefer, or any advice when building a lever action with ranger precision parts? Thank you. (third post!!!)

I've never heard or ranger precision parts. me myself I'd take the 44 . if you ever feel so inclined to go deer hunting it's a better caliber . if your just going to plink go for the 357 which will still work on deer but the 44 will do a better job . if you aren't wealthy then look into getting a single stage reloading press and roll your own . not sure how strong a Rossi action is but I've fired some decent loads out of a Marlin 44 . you know it . they blew right through a tree . hunting 44mag . playing around the 357 . your question has been answered .

Quote Originally Posted by tokguy View Post
    I've always wondered if the 454 C has the same receiver as the 45 LC? Logically one receiver for all the 92's would be the cheapest way to go. But 454 C is a beacoup stout cartridge...so it may be sporting a stouter one.
    I've wondered the same, but have found no info either way.
    Victory Formation

"Somebody get a gun and shoot it! Doesn't anybody have a gun?" Jaws 1975
    A society grows great when men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit.

CGN frequent flyer
    I have a 16" stainless R92 in .44 mag and if I had to get rid of everything except one rifle, I would keep that one. Recoil with factory loads is a bit stout but the muzzle blast makes it seem worse, at least with light bullets (lots of poweder, big fireballs). I put a grind to fit limbsaver on mine so it's very reasonable to shoot full power loads. If you hand load and cast for it, you can load some mild recoiling rounds that are a pleasure to shoot all day long, 240 grain soft point deer loads or some 300 grain bear loads for camp. It's a very versatile caliber.

Having said that, I've never even shot a .357 but while you can down load the .44 to .357 levels, you can't load .357 to .44 levels.

looking for something I can shoot at the range for fun, but also have the flexibility to use it as something to hunt down the road potentially. I just don't know what I'd be hunting. I am very eager to build a "modernized" lever action, and I figured .357, or 44 would be a great options

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12