Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 vs 357 rossi r92

44 vs 357 rossi r92

Looking to get either a 44, or 357 rossi R92 lever action, to then take apart and add ranger point precision parts. Does anyone have any advice to what calibre they prefer, or any advice when building a lever action with ranger precision parts? Thank you. (third post!!!)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer tokguy's Avatar
    I had a 44 magnum Mare's Leg. It was lively if you didn't handload.
    357 would be interesting. I found them to be quite sharp as far as report...maybe the 12"+ barrel on a rifle would tame that down to reasonable levels.
    I ended up with a ML in 45 LC and love it. 14 K psi pressure is much nicer than 36+ K... just is IMO
    Of course my opinion and about 2$ will get you a coffee. Ain't worth much, lol
    Red Adair " arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig, you get all covered in s--t; and the only one who has any fun is the pig "

Depends what you want to do with it. Hunt / carry for bear protection or plink. I’ve had both in a trapper and still have the 44.

BANNED
    The Rossi 1892 is a very light rifle, I guess full power 44 magnum will recoil like a 300 WIN Magnum in an average hunting bolt action rifle.

I would go with the 357, less recoil, can shoot cheaper 38 special etc...

In my experience recoil would not should not be a big factor between the two. I find the Rossi 44mag w a 16” barrel recoils milder than a 30-30.

I've found 44 mag to be very mild in both 16 and 20" barrels, w/ full stocks. 357 ammo can be quite a bit cheaper however.
    Victory Formation

"Somebody get a gun and shoot it! Doesn't anybody have a gun?" Jaws 1975
    A society grows great when men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer tokguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger View Post
    In my experience recoil would not should not be a big factor between the two. I find the Rossi 44mag w a 16” barrel recoils milder than a 30-30.
    I found factory loads to be 'Sharp' with excessive muzzle blast in the 44 ML. It was much better with an appropriate load of 4227 and 200 gr.
    OP didn't stipulate what he was going to do with it. Bear protection...44 or 45.
    Plinking...357 is a great option. I don't know for sure but 38 special might cycle through it...that would be pleasant to shoot.
    Red Adair " arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig, you get all covered in s--t; and the only one who has any fun is the pig "

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sgt.rock's Avatar
    My 16" R92 in 357 is in my top 2 favorite all around utility guns.
    The short barrel can still get excellent velocities with handloads. I got an average of 2090 f/s with 125gr XTP and max loads of H110. My 158gr loads averaged 1790 f/s with H110 and my puff loads using power pistol and titegroup still got 1450 -1500 f/s with 158gr jacketed bullets. (Rem, Win, Speer)
    So much fun to shoot. Other than a peep sight, mine is bone stock. Never had a malfunction in hundreds of rounds. Mine is newer made on CNC machinery.
    My Grandfather always said " Kid...............if you meet more than one arsehole in a day, chances are you are the arsehole. "

Quote Originally Posted by partial View Post
    The Rossi 1892 is a very light rifle, I guess full power 44 magnum will recoil like a 300 WIN Magnum in an average hunting bolt action rifle.

I would go with the 357, less recoil, can shoot cheaper 38 special etc...
    Nah, even in the ranch hand a load of w296 pushin 240gr is a pussycat to shoot even one handed. It’s loud but doesn’t recoil bad.

I recently bought a Rossi R92 in .454 Casull.

Yes it's a light rifle and the recoil is a bit stout but not too bad.

Hope to get a deer with it next season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast