Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Essential tools to have?

Essential tools to have?

Newbie question here.

What are some must have tools and equipment that make range visits and firearms upkeep easier?
    Last edited by zygtac; 01-19-2024 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Was not specific enough

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    Corded variable speed 3/8" drill, 7 1/4"circular saw.

For your entire life???? Is this just a way of getting your post requirement in?
    Check my post history to see my BRNO Mo. 3 Redux, and a 3D printed M1 Chassis for the Lil' Badger.
    https://julius-jahn.imgbb.com/

Tool for woodworking? Metal working? Gunsmithing? Weaving baskets?
    I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by Dyspnea View Post
    Tool for woodworking? Metal working? Gunsmithing? Weaving baskets?
    My bad, i should have specified that i meant tools that for range use and general firearms upkeep.
    I edited my post to be more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahnj0584 View Post
    For your entire life???? Is this just a way of getting your post requirement in?
    A lot better than a few I have seen. At least he is back and gave better information on what he is looking for.
    This is my second post. Seriously that’s the best they can do. LOL
    Smokeless powder is just a passing fad. #1 gun rule,carry one.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Scotty454's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zygtac View Post
    Newbie question here.

What are some must have tools and equipment that make range visits and firearms upkeep easier?
    If you're talking about tools to take to the range with you...?

Mini screwdriver set, metric/imperial hex keys, torx keys, a knife, staple gun, gun oil, aerosol gun cleaner/solvent and q-tips, a pen/sharpie, plyers/multi-tool. That's the basics I bring with me.

Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast!

Uber Super GunNutz
    Personally, I find buggered up screw slots to look amateurish and ugly - so I would suggest to start with a good set of gunsmith screwdrivers - old school English would call them "turn screws" - so parallel or slightly hollow ground so they engage the screw all the way down inside the slot. Most mechanic and household screwdrivers are tapered sides - only engage to top corner of the screw slot - with torque pressure, that top corner of the screw rolls over. You should be able to insert and remove a slotted screw without making a mark on it - but that takes snug fit - I think the set I have has about 60 size tips or so, and I still occasionally have to grind a tip to fit a particular slot. I think Brownells used to sell a set of SIX sizes for dismantling a Winchester 94 rifle - is that many different size slots on that ONE rifle. There are some rifles here where the screw head has been engraved into the engraving on the receiver - so no doubt that screw would cost many hundreds dollars to replace - makes a specific driver for that screw very inexpensive, in comparison. Is also some rifles with "timed" slots - so every screw slot is North / South in a line on that rifle. I think "modern" is commonly to use a Torx style, rather than learn to use a slotted style.
    The DEVIL caught me with my head down, and thought he had won - until I said "AMEN"!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer geologist's Avatar
    Gunsmith screwdriver set with extra Allen keys, multi tool, knife, staple gun and staples, brass hammer and brass punches, red/blue Loctite, gun oil, nitro solvent, toothbrush.
    "Conservation is the mark of a dying civilization. When your technology is not increasing at the same rate as your population growth you are done. Bring on the next contender.".

Torque screwdriver, set of punches, small hammer with plastic and brass tips, dentist syringe filled with grease

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast