Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RPAL and range membership requirements

I got my RPAL in Ontario, and have numerous restricteds. Never been a member of a club and never asked. Always figured it would be fair to say that you're interested in joining but not sure yet. At the time my local club fee was close to $500/year and I didn't want to pay that.

Since then I've lived in different provinces and territories and renewed my RPAL multiple times, it's never been brought up.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer KotKotofeich's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mtstef View Post
    Just applied for a RPAL renewal online (I'm in QC)

Will share if they require gun membership for the renewal ... my gun club was closed completely and I haven't yet joined a new one. I will if they ask for it in order the RPAL to be renewed otherwise will join a new club later in the fall.
    They did last year, but a membership with a club in VT was good enough
    Always looking for guns made 1890 or earlier - class doesn't matter, even prohibiteds.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by coll View Post
    Apologies if this has been asked before, did a forum search and didn't find anything. To obtain an RPAL, is a range membership required? I have seen some people mention that they had to attach proof of membership with the RPAL application, and others say that it isn't necessary. I also can't find any regulations that state this is a requirement to be issued an RPAL, however, I don't want to send off the application and end up having it delayed for a decade because I didn't attach a proof of membership. Is there any solid direction on this?
    In my experience, membership in an approved shooting club is not a requirement to obtain a PAL with a restricted endorsement. However... before any transfer of a restricted firearm will be approved or any Authorization To Transport will be issued, the individual applicant will be obliged to satisfy the CFO of the applicant's 'purpose', and - if the stated 'purpose' is "target shooting" - the individual applicant can expect the CFO to suggest that proof of membership in an approved shooting club is a necessary element. And then, five years later, when license renewal time comes, if a club membership was required before, and assuming that the applicant still posesses at least one restricted firearm for the stated purpose of 'target shooting', then proof of a club membership will be required again.
    Last edited by Wendell; 05-23-2024 at 02:04 PM.
    Kyle Defoor talks about Mindset:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brownbear53 View Post
    BC office has always asked me to email them a copy of it when approving a new restricted purchase if the last one on file has expired. They have never otherwise requested for an updated proof otherwise.
    As I understand, most provinces require range membership to add your Transport to range ATT on file by default, as it proves that you will be taking them to the range. Someone I know was not given that ATT on his license until he sent in a range membership (they sent him a new card after)
    For me in BC I have had to provide it in two instances: When I bought my first Restricted, and every time my PAL is up for renewal. I have never had them ask for membership for 2nd/3rd/etc restricted purchases. They have asked (on the phone when calling about the transfer) what range I am a member of, but have accepted my word and never required me to provide proof if my membership on file was expired except in the above noted situtations.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    In my experience, membership in an approved shooting club is not a requirement to obtain a PAL with a restricted endorsement. However... before any transfer of a restricted firearm will be approved or any Authorization To Transport will be issued, the individual applicant will be obliged to satisfy the CFO of the applicant's 'purpose', and - if the stated 'purpose' is "target shooting" - the individual applicant can expect the CFO to suggest that proof of membership in an approved shooting club is a necessary element. And then, five years later, when license renewal time comes, if a club membership was required before, then it'll be required again.
    There are likely other options - proof of purchasing day passes to ranges, invitations to shooting competitions, as but two examples - that would most likely satisfy the CFO's requirements, but its entirely up to the CFO.

That said, I bet if you really push it the CFO will capitulate. Their only other option is to refuse issuing the license/transfer, which in turn would open up the path to appealing which in the case of Ontario got this whole range membership BS thrown out by a judge. I strongly suspect the CFOs are aware of what happened in Ontario, and don't want to let it get that far in their jurisdiction.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Hi everyone,

I have a handgun and my PAL is due for renewal in BC. I have two questions:

1. What is the RPAL license that everyone is talking about? I currently have the old PAL license (Pink one) with "restricted" and "non-restricted" written at the back of the license. Are they the same, or do I have to apply for an upgrade when renewing?

2. Last time when renewing, I was asked to provide proof of club membership. Do I need to provide it again this time? I am not planning to go to the range anytime soon due to personal reasons, and my old gun club membership has expired. However, the club was offering an A.T.T. Membership for $50, which does not provide free access or discounts. If the A.T.T. membership works when renewing my license, then I will choose this option over the regular $400 membership, which offers full access and discounts.

Thank you.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer KotKotofeich's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 18 Karat Bold View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have a handgun and my PAL is due for renewal in BC. I have two questions:

1. What is the RPAL license that everyone is talking about? I currently have the old PAL license (Pink one) with "restricted" and "non-restricted" written at the back of the license. Are they the same, or do I have to apply for an upgrade when renewing?

2. Last time when renewing, I was asked to provide proof of club membership. Do I need to provide it again this time? I am not planning to go to the range anytime soon due to personal reasons, and my old gun club membership has expired. However, the club was offering an A.T.T. Membership for $50, which does not provide free access or discounts. If the A.T.T. membership works when renewing my license, then I will choose this option over the regular $400 membership, which offers full access and discounts.

Thank you.
    -RPAL is not an official acronym, just something a subset of people here use to say Restricted PAL.
    -You have a handgun so they will ask for a range membership to support your claim that you possess that handgun for the purpose of sport shooting.

Are you close enough to the US border to join a US club? Much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    There are likely other options - proof of purchasing day passes to ranges, invitations to shooting competitions, as but two examples - that would most likely satisfy the CFO's requirements, but its entirely up to the CFO.

That said, I bet if you really push it the CFO will capitulate. Their only other option is to refuse issuing the license/transfer, which in turn would open up the path to appealing which in the case of Ontario got this whole range membership BS thrown out by a judge. I strongly suspect the CFOs are aware of what happened in Ontario, and don't want to let it get that far in their jurisdiction.
    You can try pushing them and indeed they do not refuse but rather wait for your license to expire which creates more problems for you than for them. I know a number of people who do not own handguns but need a RPAL for employment. They used to get trouble from the CFO at renewal time asking to remove the restricted endorsement. I'll ask one of them next time I see them if they had the same trouble at this renewal. Personally, I was not able to renew based on employment - I tried and the CFO just went quiet... and I can't afford to let my PAL expire so I got a club membership in VT even though I mostly shoot at the range at work.
    Last edited by KotKotofeich; 06-07-2024 at 09:57 AM.
    Always looking for guns made 1890 or earlier - class doesn't matter, even prohibiteds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12