Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPAL and range membership requirements

RPAL and range membership requirements

Apologies if this has been asked before, did a forum search and didn't find anything. To obtain an RPAL, is a range membership required? I have seen some people mention that they had to attach proof of membership with the RPAL application, and others say that it isn't necessary. I also can't find any regulations that state this is a requirement to be issued an RPAL, however, I don't want to send off the application and end up having it delayed for a decade because I didn't attach a proof of membership. Is there any solid direction on this?

From my experience, Ontario does not require range membership for RPAL due to one of the forum members legal challenge. The other provinces do require proof of range membership for RPAL to be issued. I'm sure more knowledgeable members will chime in.

To apply for the RPAL you don’t need proof of range membership. To buy a restricted you will have to have proof of range membership.
    Smokeless powder is just a passing fad. #1 gun rule,carry one.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Just moved to NB the CFO stated I had to have a range membership or proof that I had participated in shooting events with the restricted. The NB CFO is very controling. I had my collectors in Ontario and moved to NB they made me apply for my collector status again when I bought another 12.3 even tho I had had my 12.3 collection in the province for two years and was never asked about it.They put a bunch of conditions on a range and the range fought back and won in court. The CFO appealed and lost on appeal. the reason for trying to put the conditions on were "thats what they do in Nova Scotia"
    Last edited by Komodo; 01-19-2024 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Komodo View Post
    Just moved to NB the CFO stated I had to have a range membership or proof that I had participated in shooting events with the restricted
    That's if you have restricted firearms. If you are just applying or upgrading your PAL to a RPAL, you dont need to be a member of a gun club. Now you need to be a member of a gun club for the NB CFO to approve the transfer of a restricted firearm, and for the purpose of owning one. So when you join a club, then you need to send a copy of your membership to the CFO.

Dad went thru this with his renewal. Had no idea that he was required to be a member of a gun club as he moved from ONT to NB, as it was not a requirement in Ont.
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by OkayShooter View Post
    That's if you have restricted firearms. If you are just applying or upgrading your PAL to a RPAL, you dont need to be a member of a gun club. Now you need to be a member of a gun club for the NB CFO to approve the transfer of a restricted firearm, and for the purpose of owning one.

Dad went thru this with his renewal. Had no idea that he was required to be a member of a gun club as he moved from ONT to NB, as it was not a requirement in Ont.
    sounds right I assumed he was going to be buying and that is why he was getting an RPAL

CGN frequent flyer thunderflash's Avatar
    Here in NL. Renewed last year. Proof of Club membership was requested, & required after sending application online, First time ever after 5 previous RPAL renewals.
    A few months later a buddy renewed & NO such proof was requested.------- Go figure??
    Last edited by thunderflash; 01-19-2024 at 11:22 AM.
    "Rifles are better than handguns for fighting. The primary purpose for a handgun is ,to fight your way to a Rifle that you should NOT have put down in the first place " ------- Clint Smith- Owner/ Instructor; Thunder Ranch

Quote Originally Posted by thunderflash View Post
    Here in NL. Renewed last year. Proof of Club membership was requested, & required after sending application online, First time ever after 5 previous RPAL renewals.
    A few months later a buddy renewed & NO such proof was requested.------- Go figure??
    Just applied for a RPAL renewal online (I'm in QC)

Will share if they require gun membership for the renewal ... my gun club was closed completely and I haven't yet joined a new one. I will if they ask for it in order the RPAL to be renewed otherwise will join a new club later in the fall.

BC office has always asked me to email them a copy of it when approving a new restricted purchase if the last one on file has expired. They have never otherwise requested for an updated proof otherwise.
    As I understand, most provinces require range membership to add your Transport to range ATT on file by default, as it proves that you will be taking them to the range. Someone I know was not given that ATT on his license until he sent in a range membership (they sent him a new card after)

Quote Originally Posted by mtstef View Post
    Just applied for a RPAL renewal online (I'm in QC)

Will share if they require gun membership for the renewal ... my gun club was closed completely and I haven't yet joined a new one. I will if they ask for it in order the RPAL to be renewed otherwise will join a new club later in the fall.
    Silvercore, they'll issue you a ATT range membership for the sake of the PAL, you can use any local range that allows drop in hours with day fees after as you please

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast