Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shipping charges

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_T View Post
    If you have a Business account and generate your own labels etc you don't have the option to use flat rate boxes.

I know as a Snap Ship customer I can't use them (online label creation) and have to go and buy one at the post office or CP outlet.
    I have a Small Business account as well, but only use it when shipping long guns or other stuff too large for flat rate boxes. For the small stuff I have switched over just buying the boxes, as it has always proven to be less expensive than the shipping charge figured out on the CP calculator. Just because you have the Snap Ship option doesn't mean you must use it for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin g View Post
    Small stuff is real expensive to ship. Wrap a set of dies up in their own box and create a label...bout 20 bucks to Manitoba...flat rate box...same thing but you can put 5 die sets in it for the same 20 bucks ! ONLY drawback with a FR box is a maximum of 100 bucks of coverage included !! You cannot add more coverage to it !

Yesterday's dilemma....FYI....IF...you happen to be shipping a couple of rifle stocks some where in Canada, DO NOT USE A LONG carton...lol
    If ya do, add on anudder 25 bucks for OVERSIZE !! Turned my 30 dollar shipping cost into almost 72 time they added the turds salary and the fuel surcharges !

This has never been an issue for me in the past. Once wrapped and protected, I usually nest them together facing opposite each other(fore end on fore end) did the same thing this time...had the box wrapped..taped up to water proof it, so it was too late to undo it last nite, and I'm 30 mins one way from the PO.

Next time IF the need arises for me again, I'll use two boxes, one on top of the other, taped together. Keep the OAL of the package just over the stocks length.
    Yeah, the lack of optional insurance beyond $100 can be a concern for some packages. And the recent increase in oversize charges is a killer. I still have a bunch of U-Line boxes and original manufacturer boxes that I use for shipping, but I always break down firearms to make them fit under the 1-meter length and then re-cut and re-fold the boxes I have to squeeze under the maximum. It can be a PITA but saving the oversize charge makes me feel better.

A shorter/wider box would appear to be less firearm-like and hopefully less likely to attract unwanted attention and possible vandalism while in transit. And I don't have stats to prove it but I'm sure that it would be less prone to accidental damage as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FLHTCUI View Post
    Vewdu explained it best.
    P/U the phone and talk to a real human.....
    I know that's the answer...but in many cases (like this one) it's easier just to remove the impulse item and carry on.

The odd part is that in the past, I would tend to snoop around a website in case there were other items I might want, which could be added to the same package and would thus save me shipping overall.

Now...it's quite the opposite. This tiny box containing a couple small items will cost me $X to ship...but if I remove an item or two, the same tiny box will cost less. It's not weight...the entire order would have amounted to a few ounces. A by-product of our reliance on automation and computers? Poor policy decisions at the retail level? Doesn't matter what the explanation is; the upshot is that it will cost businesses some sales.
    Last edited by jjohnwm; 03-01-2024 at 10:41 AM.
    Eat right, don't drink, don't smoke, exercise, get lots of sleep...and die anyway!

If you want to buy it, say "I'll take it".
    If you want to make an offer, say "I'll take it for $X".
    If you want to practice your negotiating skills by asking if I will accept $X, with no intention of actually buying...say nothing.

Shipping has just gotten out of hand since 2020. I’m looking at picking up a couple axle carts for a project I’m building. The carts are $132 each. So no big deal. Add to cart. $172 in shipping inside the US. Then I still have to go across the line to pick them up and pay more taxes at the border. And there is nothing oversized about them. They completely disassemble and fit in a smaller box.

UPS is far cheaper than Canada Post for small business. Any business not using UPS is losing out for themselves and their customers. Non-issue sending firearms or Ammo. My small business rate is 40% off retail pricing and I only ship a few items a week.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jjohnwm View Post
    I have a Small Business account as well, but only use it when shipping long guns or other stuff too large for flat rate boxes. For the small stuff I have switched over just buying the boxes, as it has always proven to be less expensive than the shipping charge figured out on the CP calculator. Just because you have the Snap Ship option doesn't mean you must use it for everything.
    Fair enough, but you and I are not running a business that ships potentially hundreds of items per week. Snap Ship is how they do it for the ease, and everything is recorded within your account.

I do exactly like you do now, flat rate boxes for small stuff, knowing the limitations on insurance.
    "No matter where you go - there you are"

Quote Originally Posted by jjohnwm View Post
    I just placed an order with you fine folk, probably my second or at most third from you over the years. The main item I wanted is very small, easily fits into an X-Small Canada Post flat rate box. Shipping was shown at a bit over $22, which I think is the the range of the next box size up; not the end of the world, nor something I would normally even bother to mention.

But...I would have added a second small item to my order, in fact had it in my cart. The two items together weigh practically nothing and would still have fit that X-small box...but the addition of the second item punched the shipping up to something like $43! The additional shipping charge almost matched the price of the item! I deleted it and stuck with my original single item.

Please understand, I am not bitching here, just drawing your attention to the fact that your shipping policies may well be costing you business. I'm sure you aren't the only business with this problem...far from it...but your online store happens to be the one that caught my attention today.
    Hey there, thanks for bringing this to our attention. Could you please let me know which items you were trying to purchase and we can take a look. There could be a number of reasons for the shipping to have jumped up, it could be an incorrectly configured size or weight on a product, an item that would be classified as dangerous goods which would mean we had to use Purolator, to name a few.

As others have mentioned here, it's really difficult to deal with flat rate as a commercial customer of Canada Post, the boxes don't always fit items of that size, plus we then have the holding cost of pre-purchasing flat-rate boxes, plus insurance, and then the issue of tracking and having all shipments available within 1 portal to be able to go back to and review later if there are issues with the shipment. Canada Post offers us discounts on rates based on volume, so if we split up that volume, that then makes the other shipments more expensive. We do not markup our shipping, we charge what Canada Post/Purolator charge us.

Please let me know the item(s) in question, feel free to PM if you don't want to share here, we're happy to look into it and hopefully get to the bottom of it.

Warren
    FIND US ON FACEBOOK OR FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM

Ph: 604 874 4710 Fax: 604 874 4712
    Toll Free 1 800 407 5224
    3227 Fraser Street • Vancouver • BC • V5V 4B8
    Hours of Store: Tuesday - Friday 9 - 5:30 PM
    Saturday 9 - 5 PM
    EMAIL: orders@reliablegun.com
    http://www.reliablegun.com

Full Line direct dealer for
    Remington, Marlin, Browning, Bushnell, Tikka, Sako, Beretta, Benelli, Savage Arms, Ruger, NightForce, Trijicon, PWS, Nikon, Kel-Tec, Fenix Flashlights, Kent Cartridges and MANY MORE

Quote Originally Posted by reliablegun View Post
    Hey there, thanks for bringing this to our attention. Could you please let me know which items you were trying to purchase and we can take a look. There could be a number of reasons for the shipping to have jumped up, it could be an incorrectly configured size or weight on a product, an item that would be classified as dangerous goods which would mean we had to use Purolator, to name a few.

As others have mentioned here, it's really difficult to deal with flat rate as a commercial customer of Canada Post, the boxes don't always fit items of that size, plus we then have the holding cost of pre-purchasing flat-rate boxes, plus insurance, and then the issue of tracking and having all shipments available within 1 portal to be able to go back to and review later if there are issues with the shipment. Canada Post offers us discounts on rates based on volume, so if we split up that volume, that then makes the other shipments more expensive. We do not markup our shipping, we charge what Canada Post/Purolator charge us.

Please let me know the item(s) in question, feel free to PM if you don't want to share here, we're happy to look into it and hopefully get to the bottom of it.

Warren
    Thank you! Wasn't expecting that, but appreciate it. PM heading your way with details.
    Eat right, don't drink, don't smoke, exercise, get lots of sleep...and die anyway!

If you want to buy it, say "I'll take it".
    If you want to make an offer, say "I'll take it for $X".
    If you want to practice your negotiating skills by asking if I will accept $X, with no intention of actually buying...say nothing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12