Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shipping charges

shipping charges

I just placed an order with you fine folk, probably my second or at most third from you over the years. The main item I wanted is very small, easily fits into an X-Small Canada Post flat rate box. Shipping was shown at a bit over $22, which I think is the the range of the next box size up; not the end of the world, nor something I would normally even bother to mention.

But...I would have added a second small item to my order, in fact had it in my cart. The two items together weigh practically nothing and would still have fit that X-small box...but the addition of the second item punched the shipping up to something like $43! The additional shipping charge almost matched the price of the item! I deleted it and stuck with my original single item.

Please understand, I am not bitching here, just drawing your attention to the fact that your shipping policies may well be costing you business. I'm sure you aren't the only business with this problem...far from it...but your online store happens to be the one that caught my attention today.
    Last edited by jjohnwm; 02-29-2024 at 04:27 PM.
    Eat right, don't drink, don't smoke, exercise, get lots of sleep...and die anyway!

If you want to buy it, say "I'll take it".
    If you want to make an offer, say "I'll take it for $X".
    If you want to practice your negotiating skills by asking if I will accept $X, with no intention of actually buying...say nothing.

This is something i've noticed with a few stores, usually a phone call to get an accurate shipping cost fixes it.

It is likely tied to the broken shipping rule setup at the back end of the website. I work for a company that sometimes ships item via Canada Post. Companies generally do not utilize flat rate box as all the shipping labels are created in Canada Post app or web portal because the company account will pay for the label. It sucks that we the customer have to pay that much money for even a small item.

I thought about calling, but even if they had been able to override their shipping charges as calculated by the website, it would have required a bunch of wasted time at my end and theirs. The additional item was sort of an impulse thing, and when it came up so expensive to ship it I just said "screw it!"

If some large retailer could come up with a solution to this issue it might result in a significant increase in the sale of add-ons, as opposed to "near-misses" like my case.
    Eat right, don't drink, don't smoke, exercise, get lots of sleep...and die anyway!

If you want to buy it, say "I'll take it".
    If you want to make an offer, say "I'll take it for $X".
    If you want to practice your negotiating skills by asking if I will accept $X, with no intention of actually buying...say nothing.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I don't even understand why everything needs a tracking number, many small items fit in a padded envelope. Yes sure no tracking but 99% of people are honest and 1% are crooks, so the 99 % pay for 1 %. Overcharged shipping plus charging full Canada Post insurance just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Plus, there are other couriers other than CP, UPS and Fedex but nobody seems to want to bother.

Lever Arms wanted like $35 shipping on a $6 spring. I called and they refused to use flat rate boxes, which have tracking. Expedited shipping only. Whatever that means. Bought it elsewhere. This a good way to lose lots of business.
    Once your ad sells, edit prefix from WTS to Pls Remove and change the title to SOLD by clicking go advanced. I'm tired of clicking on ten ads a day, only to see the word sold where the price was.
    -.45automatic

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    If you have a Business account and generate your own labels etc you don't have the option to use flat rate boxes.

I know as a Snap Ship customer I can't use them (online label creation) and have to go and buy one at the post office or CP outlet.

Expedited or Regular Parcel with tracking and signature covers their asses with people claiming they didn't get the package.
    If you want it quick Xpresspost goes by air but is more $$
    Last edited by Paul_T; 02-29-2024 at 07:24 PM.
    "No matter where you go - there you are"

Quote Originally Posted by scianna54 View Post
    I don't even understand why everything needs a tracking number, many small items fit in a padded envelope. Yes sure no tracking but 99% of people are honest and 1% are crooks, so the 99 % pay for 1 %. Overcharged shipping plus charging full Canada Post insurance just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Plus, there are other couriers other than CP, UPS and Fedex but nobody seems to want to bother.
    I really like your optimism that 99% of people are honest.

This would mean that the 1% of the people are Liberals. Now we all know most Liberals if not all of them are dishonest.

Again your optimism is great but not a reality in this current world we live in.

In the 80’s and 90’s when I was a police Constable, corruption amongst the members was probably 2-3%. Today, that number would be well over 10%, if not higher.

Canada Post employs plenty of thieves, liberals and left wing gun haters, make no mistake, you need a tracking number on every item that is shipped.

CP is a Trudeau Corporation, honestly does not fit in this corporation….
    Last edited by Thunderhog; 03-01-2024 at 01:42 AM.
    The only government I trust is 45-70 Government!

Small stuff is real expensive to ship. Wrap a set of dies up in their own box and create a label...bout 20 bucks to Manitoba...flat rate box...same thing but you can put 5 die sets in it for the same 20 bucks ! ONLY drawback with a FR box is a maximum of 100 bucks of coverage included !! You cannot add more coverage to it !

Yesterday's dilemma....FYI....IF...you happen to be shipping a couple of rifle stocks some where in Canada, DO NOT USE A LONG carton...lol
    If ya do, add on anudder 25 bucks for OVERSIZE !! Turned my 30 dollar shipping cost into almost 72 time they added the turds salary and the fuel surcharges !

This has never been an issue for me in the past. Once wrapped and protected, I usually nest them together facing opposite each other(fore end on fore end) did the same thing this time...had the box wrapped..taped up to water proof it, so it was too late to undo it last nite, and I'm 30 mins one way from the PO.

Next time IF the need arises for me again, I'll use two boxes, one on top of the other, taped together. Keep the OAL of the package just over the stocks length.
    Last edited by kevin g; 03-01-2024 at 07:56 AM. Reason: spelling
    If you take your kids hunting, you Won't have to go hunting for your kids!!!!

My friends..yes. My dog...maybe. My gun....NEVER !!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLHTCUI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jjohnwm View Post
    I just placed an order with you fine folk, probably my second or at most third from you over the years. The main item I wanted is very small, easily fits into an X-Small Canada Post flat rate box. Shipping was shown at a bit over $22, which I think is the the range of the next box size up; not the end of the world, nor something I would normally even bother to mention.

But...I would have added a second small item to my order, in fact had it in my cart. The two items together weigh practically nothing and would still have fit that X-small box...but the addition of the second item punched the shipping up to something like $43! The additional shipping charge almost matched the price of the item! I deleted it and stuck with my original single item.

Please understand, I am not bitching here, just drawing your attention to the fact that your shipping policies may well be costing you business. I'm sure you aren't the only business with this problem...far from it...but your online store happens to be the one that caught my attention today.
    Vewdu explained it best.
    P/U the phone and talk to a real human.....
    Infantryman Terry J Street,2nd Battalion, PPCLI, Shilo, Man. EOT, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan,Constable Jimmy Ng,RCMP EOW,Sunday, September 15, 2002

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast