Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I making sound decisions in regards to first rifle purchases?

See, I thought about going the 556/223 route, but shied away because they are not allowed for hunting, and IF I do go hunting, I figured that having a rifle capable of target shooting and hunting would be the better way to go.

I was considering the Lockhart Raven in .556 it seemed like it was a pretty stout rifle. Hearing some horror stories about it, but, I am also hearing a lot of good things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Declared Bishop View Post
    See, I thought about going the 556/223 route, but shied away because they are not allowed for hunting, and IF I do go hunting, I figured that having a rifle capable of target shooting and hunting would be the better way to go.

I was considering the Lockhart Raven in .556 it seemed like it was a pretty stout rifle. Hearing some horror stories about it, but, I am also hearing a lot of good things too.
    6.5x55 6.5cm 7-08 .270 all good choice that don’t quite kick as hard as .308 but will do the job, but hey if you want a .308; then by all means send it. you’ll end up with other calibres aswell. It’s hard to have just 2..
    Everything I post is strictly my opinion.
    Don’t watch me while I’m doin stuff.
    You can vote your way into communism, but you’ll have to shoot your way out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmatt View Post
    6.5x55 6.5cm 7-08 .270 all good choice that don’t quite kick as hard as .308 but will do the job, but hey if you want a .308; then by all means send it. you’ll end up with other calibres aswell. It’s hard to have just 2..
    yeah, it is pretty much guaranteed I will have more than just a .22LR and .308. But I am also not so flush with cash that I can buy 4-5 guns as soon as my licence comes in LOL! I am not locked in the .308 calibre by any means, but I am trying to cover as many bases as I can at the start, before branching out as time and experience allows. Does that make sense? If there is a better platform, I am all ears. I really am looking for advice!

Super GunNutz
    The 22 is something you can plink with all day and have fun and develop shooting skills. Neither recoil nor cost of ammunition will bring a premature end to a shooting session.

15 is probably a bit old for a pink rifle, though every lass is different and being able to tell the difference is an important survival skill.

You having a good story for why you chose each rifle is key to starting off well with its shooting career with you.

The 308 is a good strong rifle when you're hunting and need something to get hit, but best to talk to the local hunters mentoring you about what's best in the local environment. At the range it's a decent thumper and will reach out to long range and give you the real-rifle experience, but after not many rounds you may turn back to the 22.

Quote Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
    Yes. The Criminal Code explicitly exempts .22LR magazines from the capacity limits.
    Good to know. Thanks.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Butcherbill's Avatar
    I’ll give you my opinion on the Howa in the APC chassis, I bought a 1500 off a buddy a few years back that came with a Houge stock and the APC. It’s not as nice ergonomically as say an MDT chassis but it’s fine off a bench and more than works.

I took it hunting for spring bear and had some real-time field use, it’s heavy and isn’t all that nice to carry for long periods. It’s cold, and sort of square ish in the hands, I dislike the Lothar butt stock. Overall it sucked to carry around for hunting, I put it back into the Houge stock and it’s a lot more hunting friendly, better all around ergo’s and handling.

The Howa rifle itself is great, fit & finish as well as quality control is great. The factory trigger is nice and crisp, I feel the 1500’s are very much underrated and there’s a lot of value to be had. I no longer hunt with it as I’ve switched to left hand actions but I will be shooting it this year as a target rifle and working up handloads for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Declared Bishop View Post
    yeah, it is pretty much guaranteed I will have more than just a .22LR and .308. But I am also not so flush with cash that I can buy 4-5 guns as soon as my licence comes in LOL! I am not locked in the .308 calibre by any means, but I am trying to cover as many bases as I can at the start, before branching out as time and experience allows. Does that make sense? If there is a better platform, I am all ears. I really am looking for advice!
    I’m preferential to Mauser Sporters and oddball calibres.. I’ve heard the axis are good for starter guns. I had bad luck but I hear more good then bad these days.
    Everything I post is strictly my opinion.
    Don’t watch me while I’m doin stuff.
    You can vote your way into communism, but you’ll have to shoot your way out.

CGN Regular
    Congrats on choosing to get into sport shooting! IMHO a .22lr is the first thing to get. It is cheap to shoot, easy to handle and will allow you to learn how to shoot properly before you get something with some recoil. I would pretty strongly advise against a .308 as a first rifle. It is expensive to shoot and has some recoil which could be unpleasant for new or smaller shooters- can cause issues like flinches which are hard to get rid of. With the .22lr you will but hundreds down range on a range visit. With the .308 you will put a fraction of that downrange.

Learning to reload would be critical for centerfire or stick with .223/5.56 as you can still get reasonably cost factory ammo.

However- if you have a .22lr the second one doesn't matter as much... Maybe you'd prefer a precision bolt action .22lr as the second?
    Brawndo: Its got electrolytes!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12