Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I making sound decisions in regards to first rifle purchases?

Am I making sound decisions in regards to first rifle purchases?

My daughter and I have decided to take up sport shooting together as we both enjoy it, and it is a way for me to bond with my kid. We took our safety courses together at the end of December and we are waiting to get our licences.

During this time I have been doing some research the best way I know of considering I know next to nothing about all the different guns out there, but I think I have narrowed things down to 2 rifles for us to start with.

1st choice is the Derya TM-22. It seems to be a pretty reliable and simple rifle. I think it is a pretty solid choice for a 15 year old to learn to shoot on, and we can make it look tacti-cool. Yes, I know that slang word, not sure if I am proud of it or not. LOL

2nd choice is a Hoya M1500 Canadian Flag APC chambered in .308. While I strongly dislike our current PM, I am very much a red blooded Canadian, and well, this rifle seems to tick everything for me. I can use it for hunting, or for some longer distance target practice.

What do you all think of my choices? Are they good? bad? anything I should watch for with these rifles? Are there better rifles I should be considering? Am I completely out to lunch and look like an idiot with my choices?

Cheers!

CGN Regular
    I have the derya, my 15yr old son loves it. It’s a great firearm!!!
    As far as a rifle is concerned, I don’t have anything big. I do have a AR-ish 5.56 but I realize that they are out of reach for most.
    The 308 will get costly though so id look at all options.

I would stick with a .22 and go for something like this for a first rifle: https://www.tesro.ca/cz-457-training...ood-stock.html

For learning skills I think a bolt action with iron sites would be a great place to start, you can still mount a scope if you wish.

If you don't like the wood look and iron sites, I would consider this: https://www.tesro.ca/cz-457-syntheti...tic-stock.html

If you want to make it tacticool and suitable for rimfire competitions you can buy an MDT XRS chassis for it.

CZs are guns you can upgrade and grow with - tons of aftermarket parts and support. I have a couple of their rimfires, one similar to the first I posted.

If you do go for a centrefire, the Howa is great and I think you are on the right track choosing one, but you can get most of the 308 models in 6.5CM and that is going to have less recoil for your kiddo. I would also go for a model in the cheaper MDT Oryx chassis or buy a cheap hogue one and buy an MDT XRS Chasis for it which would be one sweet set up and tons of customization options and cost about the same as the Canadian Flag one that is a bit... I dunno hokey pokey looking, lol. I have a Howa 6.5CM and both an Oryx and XRS chassis.
    Last edited by gorby; 03-02-2024 at 02:15 AM.
    Have Gun - Will Travel

If you are looking to shoot for fun, there’s no point buying guns that aren’t fun to shoot…Any reliable semi auto 22 will be a blast to shoot, especially for a teenager just starting out. Having one that looks cool too is even better.

I have a Derya TM22 and it is reliable, light and accurate…get some of the polymer 25 round mags and enjoy blasting away.

As for Centrefire, if you aren’t hunting right away, maybe look at a cheaper caliber like .223 to develop skills and fundamentals without killing your wallet, plus less recoil.

Everyone should have a decent Centrefire bolt action rifle but maybe consider a semi auto or lever gun as well…just to amp up the fun. Nothing is more fun than a semiautomatic or lever gun in my opinion…
    “When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence.” - Gary Lloyd

CGN Ultra frequent flyer maple_leaf_eh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Innavedaw View Post

As for Centrefire, if you aren’t hunting right away, maybe look at a cheaper caliber like .223 to develop skills and fundamentals without killing your wallet, plus less recoil.

Ditto! A .308 will be twice or more the price per shot compared to a 5.56. There is lots of cheap 55-gr 5.56 in the country, both new commercial, old commercial, and military spec. The supply of 7.62/.308 is different now than a decade ago when every swinging dick had an M305. Ammo cost should always be more important in the math, than the price of the firearm.

I have recommended the Ruger American which uses AR magazines to a couple people. The rifles are very predictable and will build all the hold, aim, squeeze skills you need to shoot well. The Mk 1 has a solid comb and buttplate, the recently introduced Mk 2 has an adjustable comb and butt. Either one will be appropriate to get into the sport.

Although a 5.56 is not hunting legal (and just for this conversation, lets avoid all the nonsense Parks Canada bought for itself with contracted deer culler using suppressed ARs), there is no substitute for trigger time. When you are ready, go up to a legal deer or big game cartridge. Every major manufacturer has a selection. In your case jumping to the Hoya is a little ahead of the game, but that's the right direction.
    Jean Charest after coming a distant second to Pierre Poilievre. “You deserve a clean slate and the opportunity to unite the membership. ... Only Liberals benefit from a divided (Conservative Party).” Will the malcontents listen?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Innavedaw View Post
    If you are looking to shoot for fun, there’s no point buying guns that aren’t fun to shoot…Any reliable semi auto 22 will be a blast to shoot, especially for a teenager just starting out. Having one that looks cool too is even better.

I have a Derya TM22 and it is reliable, light and accurate…get some of the polymer 25 round mags and enjoy blasting away.

Everyone should have a decent Centrefire bolt action rifle but maybe consider a semi auto or lever gun as well…just to amp up the fun. Nothing is more fun than a semiautomatic or lever gun in my opinion…
    I'm not all that up to date on rules and regs, but are you sure 25 round mags are legal?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer maple_leaf_eh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by livinez View Post
    I'm not all that up to date on rules and regs, but are you sure 25 round mags are legal?
    Yes. The Criminal Code explicitly exempts .22LR magazines from the capacity limits.
    Jean Charest after coming a distant second to Pierre Poilievre. “You deserve a clean slate and the opportunity to unite the membership. ... Only Liberals benefit from a divided (Conservative Party).” Will the malcontents listen?

Quote Originally Posted by livinez View Post
    Now, I am new to the whole gun scene and learning a lot of the regulations, so I might be wrong. However, in my research, for .22LR rim fire in a long gun, there is no limit to the size of magazines, unless it was for use in a handgun, then it would be limited to 10 rounds.

Buy something that excites you and your daughter. Make sure it is economically sustainable to get enough use that you both can be proficient.

If not hunting I would personally get a 223/556 over a 308 for the reduced recoil and cost/round
    pandering to paranoia produces pointless prosecutions of people

As mentioned above, get a .223 or 5.56 if you’re just target shooting and not hunting yet. I’d suggest something in the 6.5-7mm range if you want a bigger cal. I bought 30/06 first then .308 because the 06 was too much as a rookie shooter. Both rifles gave me a terrible flinch. YMMV
    Everything I post is strictly my opinion.
    Don’t watch me while I’m doin stuff.
    You can vote your way into communism, but you’ll have to shoot your way out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast