Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Semi auto .22Lr advice

Seeing a bunch of people recommending 10/22, the reason I took that off the table is because looking around it seems like I can get an A22 for cheaper, and it's better out of the box from what I've seen. I just don't have the money right now to spend on customizing the 10/22. Just a university student getting into the sport so I'd rather spend the money on actually shooting.

Remington 597 gets my vote

Had a couple of 10/22s but they both sucked in the grouping department.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cement head's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WafflesOverPancakes View Post
    Seeing a bunch of people recommending 10/22, the reason I took that off the table is because looking around it seems like I can get an A22 for cheaper, and it's better out of the box from what I've seen. I just don't have the money right now to spend on customizing the 10/22. Just a university student getting into the sport so I'd rather spend the money on actually shooting.

Shot lots of 10-22 rifles and never had a problem with accuracy . never . shot lots of groundhogs etc with them . saw a guy at my range one night . buddy was snickering like crazy . never met him before .he had put a Green river barrel on his 10-22 and of course he had a scope on it . the groups were amazing . but I know with the younger generation you can talk to them till you blue in the face and some won't listen . if your paranoid about the new production stuff not being that good source and older one shoot it then modify it in time . they are or were the most modified 22 on the market many years ago , most parts available. your choice . who says you have to modify the 10-22 before you shoot it ? shot tones of them not modified and was happy . very happy .

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Blackcats's Avatar
    Got my first 10/22 in 1966 , its a second production (1965) and I can still take the head off a Partridge anywhere between 10 to 75 yds. with it (open sights) So much for poor accuracy !

If I could only have one semi-auto .22 rifle/carbine, it would be a 10/22. Dead simple, reliable, easy to take apart to clean - and as accurate as I am. Never bothered with any after-market add-ons - didn't see the need - but lots do. The only modification, is to the bolt hold open thingy - did that one myself. I have a couple of the older ones, with the aluminum trigger housing - prefer that over the plastic ones, but lots have them and they still function okay.

If only restricted to those two options, I'd pick the savage. But I wouldn't discount the 10/22 so quick. I've had mine for 20 years and it's completely stock. Tens of thousands of rounds through it and I'd not trade it for any other semi auto 22.

I too tried to convince myself that I could be a bit different and that I shouldn't get the 10/22. I ended up with one and love it quite a lot. Worked great in stock format, but I now understand the appeal of making really useful upgrades for anywhere from $20 - $100. Absolutely no accuracy issues beyond user error.

Ruger 10/22 has been in production since 1964 and has such a high % market share it's going to be near impossible to see the wood for the trees on CGN (where everyone seems to have had one for decades, emphasis decades). There are so many variations and customisations it's hard to know exactly what each recommendation refers to precisely. Maybe find specific reasons why the 10/22 doesn't fit you today - perhaps the dissasembly, or the ergos on the mag release and bolt hold, or the 10 round magazines? The Savage solves some of those issues, the Derya solves others, go hold em and try the manual of arms. If they aren't sufficiently compelling. or lead you to something else more niche, buy into the generic reliable versatile 10/22 platform and keep it stock or make it your own. Good luck.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Army2006 View Post
    Marlin 795.

Totally underrated, economical, and reliable choice.
    While I love my 795, they're not all that economical anymore, as they no longer make them. Last ones I saw were $400 used, the two I have I paid $150 and $200 for. For the kind of price I paid they're probably the best semi auto 22lr you could get, and even at $400 they are still great guns, but they're not anywhere near the economical option they used to be. Last round bolt hold open, lightweight, 25rd stick mags (and drum mags if you can find 'em!)... There is a lot going for the Marlin.

Winchester Wildcat is another one worth checking out IMO. I have one and I am a big fan of it. Only complaint is the front sight is a bit thick, so I slapped a small fixed 4x scope on it. Last round bolt hold open, reversible safety, ambidextrous mag release, stupid-simple field stripping and you can clean it from the chamber end with a cleaning rod, no need to clean from the muzzle or use a bore snake (or drill holes for the cleaning rod like some guys like to do with their 10/22s).

10/22 is great if you want to customize it. If you're looking for a bone-stock gun that'll just work, they lack the features I want in a semi auto, particularly a last round hold open so I'm not accidentally dropping the hammer on an empty chamber nor do I have to count my rounds.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

I have a 10/22 and it's been almost 20 years. I just took it out last weekend to my club.

I also have an A22 and it's been less than 20 months. I have it for sale now.

One of the advantages of the A22 is the availability of the 25 round banana mag.

But other than that, I personally enjoy my 10/22. It is not fancy, I run it stock (I don't do any upgrades to most of my guns) and it's been a reliable workhorse. Not as accurate as a bolt gun, but runs pretty much everything and just a fun plinker.

Maybe something else to consider is a GSG-16. Pretty plasticky, but fun nonetheless. Also takes 22 round mags.
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA (Life), CPC, CHP

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast