Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Gun to Start With?

I started with 22 LR

Interested

Start with what you can afford. I started off with a 308 semi auto and a 45ACP handgun.
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Scotty454's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnutz514 View Post
    Thank you. Any beginner pistols you recommend for when the freeze is over
    Hopefully that day comes.

For handguns, I felt like there were a few different staples to get when I started; a 9mm semi, a 22LR semi, a revolver, and a 1911.

There are tons of 9mm pistol choices out there depending on your budget, but the CZ 75 series is solid, and have been the go-to for competition shooters and plinkers for years. I have a couple of SP-01 Shadows, and have buddys that have Shadow 2s, SP-01s, CZ75, Czechmates, etc. All love them. I'd stay away from the polymer frame striker fired guns; they're light (Snappy, more felt recoil) with generally worse triggers. Some people like them, I don't see the point when we can't carry them here.

For a 22, stay away from the 1911 22s. They all suck. I had a Colt, buddy had a GSG, nothing really good to say about them. I run a Browning Buckmark, and it has been great, but taking it down to clean sucks (And 22 guns needs to be cleaned more frequently than other guns due to the junk buildup you get from the wax they put on most bullets). If I were to do it again, I'd pick up a Ruger MkIV 22/45.

For revolvers, you can't go wrong with a Smith and Wesson; I started with a 686 (6 shot .357), then picked up a 627 (8 shot .357). Both have been awesome. I shoot with a few guys that run Ruger GP100s, and I wouldn't hesitate to pick one of those up as well; great guns. Taurus makes some OK revolvers, but they're not at the same quality level as S&W or Ruger. Revolvers have the most interesting choice of calibers IMO; you can get a revolver chambered in anything from .22LR up to .500 magnum, and just about everything in-between. I bought a 5.5lb hand cannon S&W .460 XVR in .460 magnum right before the ban, and it's a riot to shoot.

And 1911s, I figure every handgun owner should have one. They're just iconic. I went with a stainless Colt because .45 ACP, might as well be a proper automatic Colt pistol, lol. The 1911 is probably the most produced design with the most manufacturers of any handgun platform that exists. Many of them are great, some of them suck. Googling reviews before you buy is a good idea. Or ask here.

Aaaaand now I'm sad I can't buy more handguns.

Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast!

Quote Originally Posted by gunnutz514 View Post
    Thank you. Any beginner pistols you recommend for when the freeze is over
    Personally when that happens I'm gonna get a Smith 686, or a 617, or another Ruger Single Six.
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123