Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ruger American Gen 2 in 300 BLK 5.56 and 7.62x39

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Man, I haven't seen lower than $800 in a long time, and thats the lowest end.

Sold a Gen 1 I had bought for $650 to pick up the Gen 2 and not regretting it.
    Easily can find them for under 700

Quote Originally Posted by jcpal View Post
    Easily can find them for under 700
    PM me where you so easily find them selling for under $700 new?

Quote Originally Posted by Beeron View Post
    Ruger has doubled down on economies of scale, mass producing rifles with high end features, making them much more affordable and profiting by making small returns on many, rather than large returns on a few.

As for upgrades, you can also throw in

A Stainless bolt and one of the largest upgrades, a factory threaded bolt handle for knob replacement.
    I have paid 200$+ for this alone on several rifles.
    If only I could replace the knobs at work that easily.

Side note, why does the R700 still come with the cheapest, tiniest, dollar store looking, pot metal stamped bolt knob!!??? Get your SH#t together Remington!!
    But I digress....
    Because its a cheap ass rifle lol
    Slava Ukraini
    Beholden to neither left nor right, just calling the world as I see it
    "I literally just directly quoted your use of colour revolution techniques..."

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeron View Post
    Ruger has doubled down on economies of scale, mass producing rifles with high end features, making them much more affordable and profiting by making small returns on many, rather than large returns on a few.
    Precisely. They represent an excellent value in the budget rifle space. They are easier a better value now than they have ever been, relative to the rest of the market. Sure, your $900 used to go farther 3 or 4 years ago. But nowadays?

Still the budget king in my books.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Sun_and_Steel_77's Avatar
    When Ruger is on point they crush it.

Some of my higher end rifles sit in the safe while I grab my plastic stocked American Gen 1 and shoot 200rds in a weekend.
    That particular Gen 1 Ranch is going on 6000rds now and it is slick as snot on a doorknob and has been dead nuts reliable.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer propliner's Avatar
    I have a Gen II. It has some neato features like AR mag compatibility and cerakoting but I prefer the shape, feel, balance and overall cohesiveness of the Rem 700. And that ejection! Straight and clean.

The Gen II overall feels rough and chunky without much refinement. I also don't like the Savage-esque safety trigger and would have liked to have seen something more like their LC-6 trigger.

I appreciate this rifle for what it is but it really feels alien to me. Hopefully it grows on me. We're it not for the 300blk chambering I would have looked elsewhere.

Maybe I'm just an R700 kind of guy. I don't much like Tikka's either. Tried those and sold them. I do like the M77's though, they're not super refined but are robust and reliable with a nice feel in the hands and they get better with age.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by propliner View Post
    I don't much like Tikka's either.
    It’s the actions that make people fall in love. My favorite rifles have Sako/Tikka or CZ actions.

Still a Ruger American fanboy though!

YMMV

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123