Interest in Drop-On 18.75 in. Bren 2 Barrels in .223 ?

Dlask Arms

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Business Member
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I think we will be making some 18.75 in. N/R barrels to sell. Going to make them similar to an AR-15 profile barrel of this length to try and keep the weight down but accuracy decent. Since we have long gas pistons being made we could make them er, long gas system barrels that would be fully interchangeable with the short gas system you 8 or 11 inch rifle came with. This doesn't make any difference as long as you don't try to change the system parts between barrels, lol.

Any interest in a barrel like this ?

I would be very interested in a long gas system 18.75" N/R Bren 2 with the 2nd "drop in" barrel included, similar to your 7.62x39 package.

Bonus points if you can provide a longer handguard as well :)

But I would also buy just the drop in Barrel if that was all that was available.

I would be extremely interested.

What you are describing sounds pretty awesome. Long gas system, milled gas block, and with a lighter profile barrel. It pretty much addresses any potential complaints someone could have with any of the NR-length barrels on the market ATM.

I think we will be making some 18.75 in. N/R barrels to sell. Going to make them similar to an AR-15 profile barrel of this length to try and keep the weight down but accuracy decent. Since we have long gas pistons being made we could make them er, long gas system barrels that would be fully interchangeable with the short gas system you 8 or 11 inch rifle came with. This doesn't make any difference as long as you don't try to change the system parts between barrels, lol.

Any interest in a barrel like this ?

Yes, yes, a thousands time YES, just to be sure, we are talking about 223 wylde right?? I would buy it in a blink!!! I want it!!

Yes. Price and availability when? When you say AR 15 profile, do you mean some sort of Medium Profile, or Pencil M16?

Price and availability announced when we have them done. Correct, I was thinking an M4 sort of profile. I don't like pencil barrels and don't want it obscenely heavy either so a med profile would be a good compromise I think.

I'd be interested if done on a factory 16" barrel/gas system.

Does anyone in Canada melonite/coat barrel bores?

We will be making the new batch of N/R barrels, both 7.62 + 5.56, with the long gas system. The 300 BO will be 8 inch / short gas only for obvious reasons.

'Melonite' is a brand name like Kraft Dinner or Kleenex, made popular by Glock. It refers to the nitrocarburizing process or 'Nitriding' in the common vernacular. There are a few place in Canada that do this but because it is a hot salt bath the entire barrel is done, not just the bore.

'Melonite' is a brand name like Kraft Dinner or Kleenex, made popular by Glock. It refers to the nitrocarburizing process or 'Nitriding' in the common vernacular. There are a few place in Canada that do this but because it is a hot salt bath the entire barrel is done, not just the bore.

Ahh, yes! That was the term I was looking for!
Do you guys have plans to offer this (nitriding) on your conversions as an option?

Ahh, yes! That was the term I was looking for!
Do you guys have plans to offer this (nitriding) on your conversions as an option?

It's quite possible but be warned it adds significantly to the price, about $80-$100 per barrel. The problem with this is not only the other shops price to do the work but once the barrel has been Nitride finished it is no longer workable because the surface hardness is now about 72-74 RC. This is the same as industrial hard chrome plating. You cannot drill it and a file will just skip across the surface without leaving a mark. So if you do this to a barrel it needs to be assembled, test fired and checked for headspace THEN stripped and all the components Nitride finished then re-assembled. It's painful at best even if the end result is a super awesome barrel capable of firing tens of thousands of rounds with minimal wear.

I mean, I will definitely do it to my rifle....

It's quite possible but be warned it adds significantly to the price, about $80-$100 per barrel. The problem with this is not only the other shops price to do the work but once the barrel has been Nitride finished it is no longer workable because the surface hardness is now about 72-74 RC. This is the same as industrial hard chrome plating. You cannot drill it and a file will just skip across the surface without leaving a mark. So if you do this to a barrel it needs to be assembled, test fired and checked for headspace THEN stripped and all the components Nitride finished then re-assembled. It's painful at best even if the end result is a super awesome barrel capable of firing tens of thousands of rounds with minimal wear.

I wouldn't mind an extra 100 for that much extra durability

Can you offer it as a $80-$100 upgrade option?

Back
Top Bottom