New Powder and Explosive Targets Regulations

Shooting Centre

Sponsoring Business
Business Member
Rating - 98.8%
84   1   1
image001.jpg

Last edited:
Lol. Thanks for posting this I guess, but...

:jerkit:

The regulations are probably from 2013, they're amending those regulations.

I get it now. The regulation is titled "Explosive Regulations, 2013". That is stupid...

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2013-211/index.html

So if I'm reading this correctly, there is 3 changes?

1) Sellers need to record PAL numbers for powder purchases.
2) Amount of black powder you can possess has been reduced to 25kg from 75kg.
3) Ammount of binary explosive you can possess has been reduced from 20kg to 6kg.

Do we know when these changes take effect? That date on that document is ###, and I can't seem to find that on my calendar...

edit - lol they censored x x x (no spaces)...

Suther, you can probably comment. Sounds like a move to stop non PAL holders from loading non-PAL required muzzleloaders and antiques. Thoughts?

Suther, you can probably comment. Sounds like a move to stop non PAL holders from loading non-PAL required muzzleloaders and antiques. Thoughts?

Don't need a PAL for black powder I don't think? I'm not sure what category modern BP substitutes like Triple 7 fall under though, and while I don't own any front stuffers I've heard real BP is hard to come by lately so it could cause some people some headaches.

Honestly I can't imagine muzzleloader users are a big concern to the powers that be. But you don't need a PAL to buy primers, and reloading gear is not restricted in any way, so I COULD see the goal being to restrict criminals from making their own ammo, much like the new rules about needing a PAL for magazines is supposed to help combat 3d printing of guns.

Comes into effect May 22, 2024

Is there a better source? When I google "amendments to explosives regulations, 2013" I don't find the actual regulatory changes, just mentions of there being changes coming down the pipe, and I much prefer to read the actual regulations rather than a summary.

6kg is 13lb... What are they gonna do, charge you based on the evidence that you just blew up? lol

He's talking about that "requiring that only one kit be mixed at a time and that multiple kits may not be combined together" bit. That was the main part that inspired my original comment.

Probably took a team of bureaucrats several years to brainstorm these waste of time changes, probably throwing a big office party to celebrate all the lives they are going to save by making our country a safer place to live.

So any "stakeholders" here that Natural Resources had consultations with?

During the initial spring 2021 policy consultation, the Review reached out to industry associations, sellers and law enforcement in writing to introduce the Review and seek their regulatory irritants. The Review also held virtual meetings in March and April 2021 with law enforcement organizations, including the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), the Sûreté du Québec (SQ), the Service de police de la Ville de Montréal (SPVM) and the Toronto Police Service, with provincial counterparts, namely the Canadian Association of Chief Inspector of Mines (CACIM), and with industry associations, including the Canadian Association of Rocketry, the Canadian Explosives Industry Association (CEAEC), the Canadian National Fireworks Association (CNFA), the Canadian Pyrotechnic Council (CPC), the Energy Services Association of Canada (Enserva) and Responsible Distribution Canada (RDC), to introduce the Review. After each meeting, the Review followed up by email with the organization or association to request their written input on regulatory irritants. The Review also engaged with other government departments by email to seek their written input on regulatory irritants. The response from other government departments and the external outreach with provincial counterparts, industry associations, sellers and law enforcement generated 137 irritants.

he Review also provided all stakeholders with the opportunity to meet with the Review to discuss the proposed amendments and held targeted meetings with all stakeholders who requested them, including meetings with the CNFA on March 24, 2022, the Canadian Association of Fire Chiefs (CAFC) on February 23, 2022, and April 8, 2022, and the CEAEC on April 26 and 27, 2022.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom