Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you awesome? Then you should work for us!

At least MDT posted the wage range, unlike a lot of the other industry members that have posted job ads.

I do agree with the others in this thread that you're asking a lot for the wage offered, though. How can you suggest a top range of 25 per hour and expect this person to attend trade shows on behalf of the company ? That isn't spokes person level compensation for sort of products that you're selling.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlemon View Post
    At least MDT posted the wage range, unlike a lot of the other industry members that have posted job ads.

I do agree with the others in this thread that you're asking a lot for the wage offered, though. How can you suggest a top range of 25 per hour and expect this person to attend trade shows on behalf of the company ? That isn't spokes person level compensation for sort of products that you're selling.
    Just as an FYI

They're in BC and it's a legal requirement to post the salary/wage, this is not optional for them .

CGN Regular
    I’d be really interested in this posting, I’m into distance shooting and good service, and events…except for the fact that at $25/h I’d have to quit my hobby that you’ve listed as an asset for the position. No hate, just sayin’. If I can barely buy food I won’t be able to buy bullets.

CGN Regular
    $20/hr sorry that is a big rip, you be living on the street eating noodles everyday to go to work lol

Love you MDT otherwise though, I go to chilliwack like every week for random reasons but I ain't moving there ...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Incendiary View Post
    I’d be really interested in this posting, I’m into distance shooting and good service, and events…except for the fact that at $25/h I’d have to quit my hobby that you’ve listed as an asset for the position. No hate, just sayin’. If I can barely buy food I won’t be able to buy bullets.
    I had the same thought. I couldn’t shoot or attend matches with a salary in that range unless there were a LOT of company provided costs. I guess the people that sell super cars can’t afford to buy them either.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by johnlemon View Post

Keep in mind this is a job posting, there is also going to be more to then on the surface. Also, it's things like getting to go to SHOT show full expenses paid, plus other benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Incendiary View Post
    This is a range that we offer, and once you are able to get in and we get a feel for you, it's going to be a different story. We also have tons of benefits for shooters like a monthly ammo allowance and employee trials of products and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by chanrobi View Post
    $20/hr sorry that is a big rip, you be living on the street eating noodles everyday to go to work lol

Love you MDT otherwise though, I go to chilliwack like every week for random reasons but I ain't moving there ...
    Updated, but keep in mind this is a range and there are a ton more benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by emerson View Post
    I had the same thought. I couldn’t shoot or attend matches with a salary in that range unless there were a LOT of company provided costs. I guess the people that sell super cars can’t afford to buy them either.
    Keep in mind this is a range and if you were hired and it was a good fit there is always room for more. But, yes, match fees are covered along with a monthly ammo allowance so other things as well.
    Modular Driven Technologies Corp (MDT)
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MDTTAC21
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MDTTac

To clarify some details for everyone here.

Yes, the wage range is 22$ - 25$, but keep in mind this is a starting range. Fit is very important to us, and once we know how you are, there are going to be compensation talks and career paths, as we truly do believe it is building people up. The reason we are hiring in support right now is one of our team is moving to the sales team, and we also have another member working towards our design team.

The responsibilities can seem a bit daunting, but mostly they entail things like providing feedback in a design meeting if we are doing something that is not liked by customers or we could improve upon. These meetings are 1 hour long once a week, and mostly you are listening. Same with attending shows, the two main ones we do a year are SHOT and IWA; if we are sending you to a trade show, it will be full expenses paid. Plus, there are tons of other benefits like a monthly ammo allowance, covered match fees, trials on product get, first-hand experience, industry discounts out of the wazoo, and so on.
    Modular Driven Technologies Corp (MDT)
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MDTTAC21
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MDTTac

CGN frequent flyer stripperclipper's Avatar
    I think a monthly ammo allowance could be more valuable than a dental plan.
    There's something for everyone to bring up with their union rep...
    Also known as "Dewey Cox" on other forums.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by TAC21 View Post
    To clarify some details for everyone here.

Yes, the wage range is 22$ - 25$, but keep in mind this is a starting range. Fit is very important to us, and once we know how you are, there are going to be compensation talks and career paths, as we truly do believe it is building people up. The reason we are hiring in support right now is one of our team is moving to the sales team, and we also have another member working towards our design team.

The responsibilities can seem a bit daunting, but mostly they entail things like providing feedback in a design meeting if we are doing something that is not liked by customers or we could improve upon. These meetings are 1 hour long once a week, and mostly you are listening. Same with attending shows, the two main ones we do a year are SHOT and IWA; if we are sending you to a trade show, it will be full expenses paid. Plus, there are tons of other benefits like a monthly ammo allowance, covered match fees, trials on product get, first-hand experience, industry discounts out of the wazoo, and so on.
    It sounds like a great opportunity for someone mature beyond their years, or semi-retirement with a mil/LEO/gov pension.
    Semper Fi

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TAC21 View Post
    this is a starting range. Fit is very important to us, and once we know how you are, there are going to be compensation talks and career paths.
    OK, as someone who's heard this line before, and as someone who's done hiring at a variety of levels, I have a couple thoughts.

1. This reads a few different ways. Either 'We may be open to talking about what this position is actually worth to us at an undisclosed later date that may or may not ever materialize.' having heard this before, this is usually what is meant. Could also read as 'You're not not going to be paid what you're worth to us unless we like you as a person', or maybe some other, less charitable interpretations.

2. From a hiring perspective this reeks of "we can't find good applicants"/"no one wants to work anymore" mentality. If you want good applicants, decide what the role is worth to the company, shop around with comparable roles and make sure the responsibilities-compensation line up at least in your area(better yet in the industry and comparable industries), then offer that. You'll get more interested people and more qualified people when you ditch the 'we'll start you on a lower wage' mentality. When your workers aren't living hand to mouth you'll find they do better work.

It's YOUR JOB as a hiring manager to determine if someone is going to be a good fit, it is NOT your employee's job to work at a lower wage while you try to figure out if you like them enough or not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast