Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Real World Opinions on Thermal Monoculars ?

Real World Opinions on Thermal Monoculars ?

Looking at getting a small handheld thermal. Anyone have real world knowledge of these and willing to share, I' love to hear about them.
    Cheers,
    Leigh
    Dlask Arms Corp.
    www.dlaskarms.com

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

Theyre cool. Get one. Don't cheap out on a flir go for infiray.

Quote Originally Posted by richmyster View Post
    Theyre cool. Get one. Don't cheap out on a flir go for infiray.
    LOVE to get an Infiray but may be a tad out of my budget range, haha.
    Cheers,
    Leigh
    Dlask Arms Corp.
    www.dlaskarms.com

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

I would say wait a few more years and then explore. The generation leaps, at least to me, are significant and at this point the quality is that good that manufacturers would be primarily competing on price.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Daver_II's Avatar
    Can you share more about your use cases and budget?

I have used several from a number of manufacturers, FLIR, L3, Insight, Pulsar, etc.

But really use case and budget can vary wildly.

I'd spend a grand on one for poops n giggles. Nothing serious for use, my kids and I like to play outside in the summer and we have nods already and those are a hoot.
    Cheers,
    Leigh
    Dlask Arms Corp.
    www.dlaskarms.com

CGN Ultra frequent flyer geologist's Avatar
    I have a small Flir handheld.

I use it for detecting wildlife. It's good at that. It's an older unit so the refresh rate is low. Try to get one with a refresh rate that works for your uses.

I also use it when looking at real estate. It's good for finding water leaks not visible to the naked eye.

I found a repaired major upper floor toilet leak that the sellers had not disclosed. In real estate, everyone lies.

The FLIR camera is my truth machine.
    "Conservation is the mark of a dying civilization. When your technology is not increasing at the same rate as your population growth you are done. Bring on the next contender.".

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlask Arms View Post
    Looking at getting a small handheld thermal. Anyone have real world knowledge of these and willing to share, I' love to hear about them.
    To not exactly name drop, call… Chilly Dock Depot (pm for the name if you can’t figure it out). They are amazing, know their stuff inside and out! And will spend the time going through the options with you. Zero affiliation, but I have bought, NV Goggles and thermal scopes… best prices, quality and options in Canada in my opinion.
    Hearts and Minds; Two best places to shoot
    Fighting in a basement provides challenges, Number 1 your fighting in a basement!

I have been playing in the same rabbit hole and from what I have researched the Iray Camp 19 seem to be the best value for money I can find.

CGN Regular
    They're pretty much going to be standard equipment for every grunt within 5 years; i follow OSINT in the Ukrainian ####show and cheap (<$1000) thermals have completely changed everything, nothing can hide. Chinese thermals are just as good as the US stuff for a small fraction of the price and 256 pixel arrays can still pick out wildlife at a pretty useful distance, so if you have some disposable money i can't recommend getting one enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast