Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2456789101112

Thread: STI GP-6s have arrived!

Mine ran fine during IPSC provincials. Just lately it has started to become an annoying POS.

Last match, while pulling the trigger in DA, the hammer would drop to half cock. Over and over and over . Rack the slide and go SA....no probs . Tore it completely apart between matches and the only thing that might have been the cause was dirt and oil on the trigger loop where it contacts the hammer. Gave her a good cleaning and she ran fine the second day. A pistol that doesn't like oil?

Thinking back to my pile of parts, nothing seemed broken or worn. There could be some other issues going on in there, but nothing stood out.
    The weird thing was mine's an older GP6, and another shooter with the same prob has the STI version. A third shooter had no problems at all.

I'm keeping an eye on mine during league night shoots and if it starts s**tting the bed again I might be giving Freedom Ventures a call to see what can be done.

(E)
    Law of Politics
    Communicating logic to a Liberal is only a little more difficult than communicating with the dead.

Freedom Ventures - CGN Sponsor Freedom Ventures's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by (((Echo))) View Post
    The weird thing was mine's an older GP6, and another shooter with the same prob has the STI version.
    All GP6s are STIs. Are you saying your "older" gun that had problems is a Grand Power K model, not an STI?

I'm keeping an eye on mine during league night shoots and if it starts s**tting the bed again I might be giving Freedom Ventures a call to see what can be done.
    As I posted above, the STI GP6s have lifetime warranties, if it's not working - please send it to us to be repaired.
    Last edited by Freedom Ventures; 08-30-2010 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Ventures View Post
    All GP6s are STIs. Are you saying your "older" gun that had problems is a Grand Power K model, not an STI?
    Sorry there, I should have been more clear on the model. You are correct in that it's an older Grand Power K100 Mk6. The model just before STI started re-branding them.

I wouldn't be calling about warranty, just if you have any possible solutions to the problem.

(E)
    Law of Politics
    Communicating logic to a Liberal is only a little more difficult than communicating with the dead.

gp6

Mine is gp6 model c and had some problems initially with extraction , talked to Freedom Venture guys and had a new extractor shipped to me,
    { twice because the idiots of the Canada Post probably lost the first package }. I was on the range tonight and really tried very hard to make it fail , all different kind of ammo , reloads , factory , and I was not able to make it fail once .{ 300 rounds not one problem with the new extractor .}

Thank You Sean.

I think the magazines are a bit too tight and you have to really hit them hard to sit them on the gun fully loaded, my solution was to open just a bit the little hole on the front of the mag where the magazine engages the magazine catch .

Freedom Ventures - CGN Sponsor Freedom Ventures's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by (((Echo))) View Post
    Sorry there, I should have been more clear on the model. You are correct in that it's an older Grand Power K100 Mk6. The model just before STI started re-branding them.

I wouldn't be calling about warranty, just if you have any possible solutions to the problem.

(E)
    No problem, happy to extend the help where I can.

The Grand Power guns are a bit of an anomaly in the firearms industry. Jaro, the company owner is not only incredibly dedicated to the quality and perfection of his pistol, but also amazingly adept at putting design updates into production quickly.

That's why STI, a company dedicated and known for quality, decided to work with them; they travelled to the factory & also met with GP's suppliers. They were impressed.

I would hazard to guess that today's GP6 (A combined effort from STI and GP) would have 20-25 design changes from the original K100 that landed here back when Marstar first started importing them to Canada.

Even today, STI and GP are making updates to the GP6 as needed.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Canuck223's Avatar
    I'm actually surprised to hear about an extraction problem. The current extractor is built like a brick, and unlike traditional Browning designs, doesn't have as much side load stress as the angle between the breachface and barrel doesn't change.

For a history lesson, the origional K100 extractor was just a formed piece of thin spring steel.

CGN Regular
    For what it's worth, I've put about 500 rounds through my GP6C and not had a single issue at all. Even a limp wristed shooter that always stovepiped my 226 would shoot with no issues. Fed it a mix-mash of brands and weights.

Thanks for the warranty work Sean. It's working perfectly again.

Francis
    Last edited by Habagat; 10-20-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2456789101112