Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gun Prices will be on the rise

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Wrong Way's Avatar
    Ontario.....far enough N of T.O. that I (almost) can't smell it
    All I'm saying is that as canadian consumers, we never see the benefit of a strong dollar, and always pay the price for a weak one. Dollar goes up? We lose. Dollar goes down? Yup...lose again.

Dealers can win, we can't.

(Some exceptions of course, but very...VERY few)
    My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Wrong Way". Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.

Contributing Dealer Frontier Firearms's Avatar
    Do your math, $1300.00 USD gun and our dollar drops 15% what do you get? Just under $200.00 increase.

And yes the prices did go down. They did not go down 15% but many went down 10-12% because there is also inflation that manufactors raise their prices 3-5% per year. This is the same inflation that raisies the value of homes and wages every year. It is not in the gun industry alone.

Ammunition stayed the same or went up a bit because of the price of copper and we had a better dollar.

I guess while I have your attention mabey you can give me some advice about retail. Last year I lost $10000 because we had left over inventory that was bought with an 85 cent dollar the year previous and I had to drop my price to stay on par with everyone else. Now that I have to pay 10% more effective today, should I just say to hell with it and sell product for what ever people want to pay?

Its interesting that we have so many experts on here that seem to have all these so called "facts" yet you have no experence in impoting or retail pricing. Its probally best though, Im sure you would not last a month running a retail store, selling everything for cost or less, just because it is cheeper in another country.

Quote Originally Posted by frontier23 View Post
    Now that I have to pay 10% more effective today, should I just say to hell with it and sell product for what ever people want to pay?
    If you go ahead with this, I have a shopping list for you! :D

Weren't Glocks, M&P's, etc not selling for about $800 before our $ went up? I remember seeing prices drop a fair bit....

should I just say to hell with it and sell product for what ever people want to pay?

Well... that's what every retailer does anyway isn't it...? If people don'y like the price they don't pay.
    We're not talking food, water or fuel are we... All this gun #### is bought with discretionary or "disposable" dollars. They are luxury goods for us and really... None of us "need" to buy anything... We want to. We like to, but we certainly don't "need" guns/ammo etc.
    Sellers can name whatever price they want... I don't care. If I think it's too much I won't buy...
    They need to sell it more than I need to buy so... Either they lower their prices to a point I like or their stock sits on the shelf.
    Bernie Rhodes knows. Don't Argue

To complete your thought:
    They sit on the shelf, and don't sell. The retailer has to acquiesce, and sell his stock at a loss to keep his store open. Some employees get laid off.
    He eventually has to liquidate all his remaining stock at a loss, and his store folds, leaving yet one more gun dealer out of the market, and one less dealer you can get your firearms,parts, and ammo from.

See where this is leading?

Contributing Dealer Frontier Firearms's Avatar
    Well, just thought I would let everyone know. I figured it would be helpful for some people. Dont shoot the messenger here, and in regards to this organized, secret underground screw job us dealers are involved in, Im wondering why no one has contacted me yet to join yet if it realy existed.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 7.62mm's Avatar
    Umm, it's a business, business's make money, if they don't make money, well, it's not a business anymore. Sure there are times when a business makes more money than usual, but I would suggest, that for the most part, the dealers do a good job with their pricing.Compared to my local shops, the dealers on here have on average a lower price.

If I buy from a western dealer, I only pay the PST, add the shipping cost, and it is still usually 5-10% lower than my local dealers. I, as a contractor, had to significantly raise my prices this year to reflect the cost of fuel, fuel is now on a down turn, but I certainly will not be lowering my prices, because the costs that are associated with the products that I buy, are not going down, they still have the higher fuel costs associated with them.

We were fairly lucky this year. Prices of firearms did go down. I was one of the ones that bought a G17 last year at $800, from a local dealer, and about 2 months later, a CGN dealer was offering them at $600. Oh well, life goes on, it is actually pretty decent of them to let us know that the prices will be going up, they are not obligated to do so. If you were thinking of buying something, do it now.
    Join CSSA Call 1-888-873-4339 for info!
    Join CCFR https://firearmrights.ca/en/home/

Its interesting that we have so many experts on here that seem to have all these so called "facts" yet you have no experence in impoting or retail pricing. Its probally best though, Im sure you would not last a month running a retail store, selling everything for cost or less, just because it is cheeper in another country.
    This will always be the case.

People that don't know how to run a business will always try to tell you how to run yours.

People that have no money will always try to give advice on how you should invest your money.

When people are trying to give me advice about how I should run my business and how to invest my money, I just sit there and tune them out.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Wrong Way's Avatar
    Ontario.....far enough N of T.O. that I (almost) can't smell it

And I find it interesting that *some* people feel qualified to make such a statement....LMAO, you own a single small store....let me bow to yoour expertise.

What is truly funny is that you have NO CLUE "how long I would last", my experience base, qualifications, or even what I do for a living....yet you seem comfortable making that assumption. Thats the thing with the 'net....you never know. For all you know I may own a *chain* of *several* retail stores, and have an intimate knowledge of how it works.
    I didn't lose 10K last year....and I won't this year either

But then again, I don't own a small gun shop so I obviously have no clue about global/Canadian finance and the retail sector.......

Do what you need to do, price how you need to price, I don't care. If it's too high I won't pay it, if it's decent I will, but please don't assume you can dictate consumption.

WW
    My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Wrong Way". Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast