Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gun Prices will be on the rise

Free market.

Don't like dealers prices? Dont buy. Stop crying.
    You can use a rifle as a doorjamb or paperweight, but that's not what it's designed for. It's not what the rifle, in its soul, longs to do.

Running a firearms business is unique in the business industry. There are so many additional fees and licenses required to import firearms and accessories, that the CAD price of any firearm will usually ALWAYS be more than the USD market price, even when the dollar was/is par. In addition we also have such a small market share, we will never be competitive with the US market.

That said, we also have the 4 or 5 national distributors/importers that generally set the firearms prices in Canada for the arms they distribute.

I work in a gunshop, and when we receive an order of firearms, we always calculate pricing based on our actual cost, just like any other business. That fluctuates based on what the distributors charge us. If our price goes up 20%, so does the retail price to maintain the same margins. When the dollar was par last year, we kept the same margins and reduced our retail price accordingly.

You wouldn't expect any business to absorb a 20% increase in pricing just to maintain yesterday's pricing, what is different about the firearms industry? The market dictates what people are willing to pay for firearms, and the profit margin on firearms is way less than most people think.

Contributing Dealer Frontier Firearms's Avatar
    And I find it interesting that *some* people feel qualified to make such a statement....LMAO, you own a single small store....let me bow to yoour expertise.

What is truly funny is that you have NO CLUE "how long I would last", my experience base, qualifications, or even what I do for a living....yet you seem comfortable making that assumption. Thats the thing with the 'net....you never know. For all you know I may own a *chain* of *several* retail stores, and have an intimate knowledge of how it works.
    I didn't lose 10K last year....and I won't this year either

But then again, I don't own a small gun shop so I obviously have no clue about global/Canadian finance and the retail sector.......

Do what you need to do, price how you need to price, I don't care. If it's too high I won't pay it, if it's decent I will, but please don't assume you can dictate consumption.
    It is easy for me to make that judgment because for me if my price goes up I either charge more or close the doors. Yet you think that when I say the price goes up its all part of a dealer organized scam. If you did own a chain of stores you would or should understand it. I have never met retailer who didnt understand it. It is not very complicated at all.

Item wholesale cost is $100.00 and is sold for $125.00

Items wholesale cost goes up to $120.00, retail price gets raised to $145.00

Money does not grow on trees and it is pointless to sell at cost just to look good. But since you are hinting that you have some kindof understanding about this enlighten me with your buisness plan of what a retailer should do when their cost of an item rises by the same margin of their profit.

This reminds me of a story a local Ford dealer told me. They had a $300 000 dollar combine on the lot and a customer figured he should get $40 000 off because he was a repeat customer. The salesman told him his profit is only 7% ($279 000 cost) Yet the customer still did not get it and sugjested that even if he lost money it was better then not making a sale at all and walked away.

If you do not make money in buisness you are not in buisness, some people have trouble grasping the concept that a buisness person would drop a half million dollars on a building and inventory and expect to make money off of it. It seems selfish doesnt it?
    Last edited by Frontier Firearms; 10-23-2008 at 12:46 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Wrong Way's Avatar
    Ontario.....far enough N of T.O. that I (almost) can't smell it
    enlighten me with your buisness plan of what a retailer should do when their cost of an item rises by the same margin of their profit.
    Easy: Charge more. But when your cost goes down, don't screw your customers by keeping the inflated price.

To recap: if your cost goes up, your price SHOULD go up...I have no problem with that..

However, when your cost went down with the rise in the dollar, your price should have come down as well.....but it didn't. We were all fed the line about "bought at a lower dollar", but it would appear that you didn't buy anything while the dollar was at par, 'cause your prices sure didn't come down to reflect it.

In a nutshell: When the dollar was low, you bought, and charged enough to make a profit....fair enough.
    When the dollar was high, you bought, and charged the same amount yielding a larger profit

Funny how you are first to post "Prices going up!"...but I never saw "Prices lowered!"

I'm not getting into a pissing contest with you, mostly because I don't care.
    My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Wrong Way". Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Wrong Way's Avatar
    Ontario.....far enough N of T.O. that I (almost) can't smell it
    Quote Originally Posted by Steyr101 View Post
    I work in a gunshop, and when we receive an order of firearms, we always calculate pricing based on our actual cost, just like any other business. That fluctuates based on what the distributors charge us. If our price goes up 20%, so does the retail price to maintain the same margins. When the dollar was par last year, we kept the same margins and reduced our retail price accordingly.
    Exactly how it should be done.
    My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Wrong Way". Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.

Contributing Dealer Frontier Firearms's Avatar
    If you want to get technical I did have a heading on my website last January that prices were going to be adjusted for the stronger dollar. And yes prices did come down on everything priced in american dollars, not the full 15% but about 10% (inflation charges are between 3-5% by american manufactors) so what ever point you are trying to get at is not very clear. If you would like to be more specific in your examples of pricing not going down, you might make more sence but right now you seem to just be pretending to be a victom of gouging dealer but cannot realy point to any real proof.

Please correct me if I am wrong here but I noticed the following price drops in the last 2 years.

2007 Glock $799-$899
    2008 Glock $599-$699

2007 Bushnell Elite 3200s $249-$259.00
    2008 Bushnell Elite 3200s $219-$229.00

Before you acuse me (or who ever that was directed to) of not lowering prices because of the dollar, try checking your facts first instead of making them up.
    Last edited by Frontier Firearms; 10-23-2008 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DOOK View Post
    To complete your thought:
    They sit on the shelf, and don't sell. The retailer has to acquiesce, and sell his stock at a loss to keep his store open. Some employees get laid off.
    He eventually has to liquidate all his remaining stock at a loss, and his store folds, leaving yet one more gun dealer out of the market, and one less dealer you can get your firearms,parts, and ammo from.

See where this is leading?

Yeah... that's how the cookie crumbles. Wether it's gun stores, car dealerships or hot dog stands.

I don't know how stand alone gun-shops stay in business these days in the first place... 'Not a business I'd wanna get into.
    Bernie Rhodes knows. Don't Argue

I will close this thread if it is turning into a pissing match.

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

Here is some reality facts:

Last year I sold a new H&K USP Compact Tactical 1,350$.

Right now I have a new one in the display at 1,100$. It will be sold at that price.

Next one that comes in will be marked up from my cost as usual, and will be in the display with 1,300$ written on the tag.
    YOU CAN NOW ORDER ONLINE ON OUR NEW WEBSITE !

http://www.crafm.com

Or call us to place your order over the phone : 1-877-635-4867

Centre Récréatif d'Armes à Feu de Montréal (CRAFM)
    Montreal Firearms Recreational Center
    Club de Tir de Montréal (CTM)

If what we are told is the truth ( and we know its not ) they, the oil giants say they work on a 6 month prediction by buying crude in advance, last week we saw crude at an all time low $68 a barrel that should equate to a price somewhere around 35 cents a litre at the pump in 6 months time.

If we do not see this happen I suggest you write to your MP, local papers, radio etc etc and start to kick up and fight for your rights.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast