Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Gun Prices will be on the rise

CGN Ultra frequent flyer redleg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrong Way View Post
    Easy: Charge more. But when your cost goes down, don't screw your customers by keeping the inflated price.

To recap: if your cost goes up, your price SHOULD go up...I have no problem with that..

However, when your cost went down with the rise in the dollar, your price should have come down as well.....but it didn't. We were all fed the line about "bought at a lower dollar", but it would appear that you didn't buy anything while the dollar was at par, 'cause your prices sure didn't come down to reflect it.

In a nutshell: When the dollar was low, you bought, and charged enough to make a profit....fair enough.
    When the dollar was high, you bought, and charged the same amount yielding a larger profit

Funny how you are first to post "Prices going up!"...but I never saw "Prices lowered!"

I'm not getting into a pissing contest with you, mostly because I don't care.

I think the problem is that customers expected to see immediate price changes when the dollar was worth more. The reason the prices took longer to come down was that the old inventory had to be sold (at the old price). since many customers expected a new lower price, many were waiting for old inventory to be exhausted.
    This time around, we have many customers snapping up items at the old price, to avoid the forthcoming price increase. So it seems to be taking less time to exhaust old inventory.
    As pointed out above, we tend to operate on a fixed (and relatively low) margin.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BlackWatch's Avatar
    The old inventory game. I am sure there are a lot of honorable gun dealers in Canada who do as the gent from Montreal with the H&K said.
    But I think it is because we get screwed in so many other areas that we paint all businesses with the same brush.

The best story I heard was on Cross Country Check Up last November. A fellow goes into a book store in Canada and sees a book with the usual $25US/$38Cdn. He asks about the price since we were at $1.03 American then. They say no you have to pay the $38. Well he says I have American money I will just give you $25 US dollars!!!
    Oh no she says the exchange on US money is 95% today so it would cost you over $40 that way.
    This is why we don't have CCW
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Contributing Dealer Frontier Firearms's Avatar
    Its likely the store had purchased the inventory at a lower Canadian dollar months earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by redleg View Post
    I think the problem is that customers expected to see immediate price changes when the dollar was worth more. The reason the prices took longer to come down was that the old inventory had to be sold (at the old price). since many customers expected a new lower price, many were waiting for old inventory to be exhausted.
    This time around, we have many customers snapping up items at the old price, to avoid the forthcoming price increase. So it seems to be taking less time to exhaust old inventory.
    As pointed out above, we tend to operate on a fixed (and relatively low) margin.

That makes sense.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer heavyBullet's Avatar

Mr.Trout said it best....we live in a small market....there are only a few distributors in Canada and everybody ends up buying new from them and then charging what the market will allow so they can make a profit...it is called the "capitalist system"...so we all get screwed because we have no choice "mandatory insuarance" does the same thing to us.....If we had a free gun market like the usa where you can buy more direct from thousands of sources you get competition and the prices where a handgun that would cost you $800 here would be more like the $400 they pay for it there....don't buy all the marketing bull#### companies try to feed you, when prices are up you charge more, when they are down you still try to get the same or more....it is called being in business and I know what I am talking about because I own a business.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer #1bcshooter's Avatar
    Dealers can do what ever the hell they want . It's there right to do so .
    Just as it is your & my right not to buy from them .
    Pre-orders are horrible for everyone involved. They never go smooth. We will not be doing a pre-order to bankroll this project.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWatch View Post
    The best story I heard was on Cross Country Check Up last November. A fellow goes into a book store in Canada and sees a book with the usual $25US/$38Cdn. He asks about the price since we were at $1.03 American then. They say no you have to pay the $38. Well he says I have American money I will just give you $25 US dollars!!!
    Oh no she says the exchange on US money is 95% today so it would cost you over $40 that way.
    This is why we don't have CCW
    Huh?

Can we lobby to close down this bookstore and then we'll have CCW?
    Foot sex

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Wow, not a lot of whining here. The reality is that there are several gunshops in the US that sell more guns in a year than our top 3 importers combined. We have NO market buying power, our importers pay more than a lot of stores in the US. Get used to this. Using US pricing at Canadian volume is a halucination of the worst sort, so step back from the crack pipe and accept reality. Our guns cost more, we are a fractional market, they always will cost more, because manufaturers use velocity pricng on all SKUs. Velocity pricing rewards fast sales at high volume, we don't have that. We get the 'marginal dealer' billing decks at the importer level, ergo we do not get the same deal as 'Buds Guns', or 'Kesselrings' or 'Buffalo Gun Center'. Our importers also pay more than RSR or any other supplier, and in many cases I'm sure they pay more than 'Bud's Guns'. It's called Capitalism, look it up.

ETA: Those of you complaining about pricing here have no concept of how difficult it is to make a living selling guns in Canada, I've seen it first hand and believe me no one is getting rich.
    Last edited by ian_in_vic; 02-09-2009 at 02:52 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    RTaylor
    $68.00 a bbl for crude translates into what??? 35 cents per lire???
    BTW - $68 is not an"all time low" for crude

So if crude was $10 / bbl, gasoline should be 5 cents a litre???

Water is free so when you want a bottled water the seller should pay you to buy it huh.

It just does not work that way. It never has and never will. There are costs to everything, some fixed, some very very flexible - these costs need to be paid, usually in advance and in cash.

Oh ya -- its a big plot by everyone against the "little guys".

Please, please go out find some of that cheap crude and make gasoline out of it and sell it for 35 cents and you will make your billions and retire!

same as guns - please go out and get all those free guns and parts down in the States and bring them in and clean up--

Business is soooooo easy when you are not the one trying to predict what will happen tomorrow - never mind next year.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234