Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Elephant

ummmmmm donuts

Z
    Z
    Z
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by Dogleg View Post
    Tough beef. The thyroid gland is pretty good.
    I can`t believe you didn`t say "like chicken"....talk about restraint !

Beautiful guns John ,but if one was to buy an old double gun like those, I trust very little would be left to pay for the hunt.

Good show !!

BB
    NFA member
    CSSA member
    Delta Waterfowl member
    Ducks Unlimited member

I NEVER MET A LIBERAL ,I EVER LIKED. Will Rogers

There is a fair choice of game you can hunt when you decide to go on a safari.

I would choose everything else ahead of an elephant hunt. Cape buffalo would be my first choice, one of the most unpredictable and dangerous and at least you could have a steak afterwards.

Sorry, money aside no elephant ... no elephant hunt would interest me even if offered pro bono.
    "What we got here is a failure to communicate"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dogleg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBrant View Post
    I can`t believe you didn`t say "like chicken"....talk about restraint !

BB
    Crocodile tastes like chicken, for what its worth. Better though.
    Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "over .40". Coincidence? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by 15567 View Post
    There is a fair choice of game you can hunt when you decide to go on a safari.

I would choose everything else ahead of an elephant hunt. Cape buffalo would be my first choice, one of the most unpredictable and dangerous and at least you could have a steak afterwards.

Sorry, money aside no elephant ... no elephant hunt would interest me even if offered pro bono.
    Years ago I met a couple of 2REP French Foreign Legionnaires in Petawawa. They were on an exchange with 1 Commando and had just returned from Africa where their company had been hired by an African government (Kenya I think) to hunt elephant poachers.

Buddy had some pictures of a pile of dead poachers they had killed in a night raid on the poachers' hide. They did a recce before hand, found tusks and that was it - license to kill. The one guy described it in words to the effect of it being a turkey shoot.

I'd much rather be paid to hunt elephant poachers than pay to to hunt elephants.

An no I'm not casting any aspersions on John H here - I know he was not poaching.
    Last edited by The Lorax; 11-24-2008 at 12:54 AM.

We were paid to poach the anti-poacher poachers, that we got good coin for poaching...and the proceeds went to my new firearm that i bought from Wolverine, that in turn paid for an awsome dream trip to Africa to hunt elephants eventually...and I believe it was Weston and some other guy that couldn't pass his jump course. The heads were everywhere Mr Airborne animal lover...and leave the squirrels alone, its not your place to interfere with natures selection.
    Last edited by jamiejaf; 11-24-2008 at 12:30 PM.

Elephant poaching in Africa is not the problem it was in the past, mainly due to CITES. “Convention on International Trading in Endangered Species” CITES applies to Elephant, cats and primates etc. anything that falls under the CITES protection can not be traded commercially. I understand that this means that I can not sell my trophy tusks, they will be numbered and certified. Recently it was a agreed that a limited “Tonnage” of ivory would be auctioned, this has caused a controversy but I do not believe it will re start commercial poaching.

Certainly hunting down armed poachers with the mandate to shoot to kill on sight would be, shall we say, “interesting!”

As for hunting Cape Buffalo verse Elephant: I have yet to hunt Cape Buffalo, I have certainly read that the Buffalo is a very worthy quarry, extremely tough and noted for laying in ambush if wounded. I have asked several PH’s which is the most dangerous of the “Big Five” (Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Rhino, Lion and Leopard) I have always received different answers, however the one PH with the most experience said he treats them all with equal caution and respect, and he is still alive to talk about his hunts. I will be surprised if a Cape Buffalo will be able to fill me with the awe and respect that the Elephant has. My first close encounter was when we tracked an old bull, we first saw him when we were approx 100 yds away, he was towering over the thorn bush that was 8-10 ft high, he rushed up to take a look at us, we all yelled and he stopped approx 20 yds in front of me, the four smaller younger Bulls with him also ran up, this was a small bachelor herd. He was fantastic, stood 15 ft to the top of his head. I heard Robert (PH) chamber a rd in his Mauser .375 H&H, I thought to myself, here comes the warning rd and then the #### will hit the fan. Dam I don’t want to shoot this old fellow, he only has one tusk and he is important, he is training the young bulls. I also realized that the frontal brain shot (my only shot) was going to be extremely tough as the base of his tusk go so high in his head. I was also very surprised at how calm I was, I was so impressed with this old bull that I had no time to be scared, I also had supreme confidence in my double barreled .470 NE rifle. After a few minutes he turned and they all disappeared into the thorn bush, truly very very impressive. The picture below is the same bull, taken a little later. When you get amongst a cow calf herd and see how the cows attempt to intimidate any perceived threat by shredding trees and performing mock charges, one can understand why they are listed as one of the “Big Five”, I could very easily become addicted to hunting these noble beasts.

[IMG]http://i340.photobucket.com/albums/o340/Mrwolverine/IMG_4011.jpg[/IMG

This Bull is still out of range, we are not in a position to take a shot, he is unconcerned as we are down wind, his RHS tusk was broken off flush with his head. Remember also, if he charges that thorn bush is no hindrance to him but I couldn't run through that to save my life, I would have to stand and fight.
    Last edited by Mr Wolverine; 11-24-2008 at 01:14 PM.

Pound of Fire
    Super Moderator
    Awesome John, just awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
    Jay
    Wing Nut

"No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

I have always found that one of the special attractions when hunting is never knowing what is around the next corner or over the next hill, this is especially true in Africa. It really pays to stay alert, the best photos will always come when least expected and in Africa danger can lurk round any corner.

Late one afternoon we had a second flat tire, at this time we only had one spare wheel so we had to wait for assistance. When I realized we had an hour or more to wait I told everyone I was going to hike up to the top of a nearby hill, I would wait up there and “glass’ the area for Ellie. One of the trackers was told to accompany me, I picked up my 2 Qt canteen and rifle and we headed off.

At the top of this rocky hill was one very large rock, I propped my rifle against a stunted tree and went to walk around this rock, but I spotted a toe hold at the end and was able to scramble up to the top. My tracker joined me from the other end, I had just started to view the area when my tracker yelled “Leopard”. I could hardly believe it, but a big leopard had been just around the rock, right where I had planned to climb up, I never even saw him. So I can claim that I was nearly run over by a Leopard and my .470 DR stood round the corner. I had even stopped carrying my hunting knife, I had no intention of skinning an Ellie, it lightened my load in the heat and I always have a small lock blade in my pocket. Well never again, next time I visit Africa my hunting knife will be worn on my shorts, all the time.

I christened this hill “Leopard Rock” I was standing between the two rocks on the sky line which sit on the big rock, just left of the trees, when the leopard came from the other side, another great afternoon, “Only in Africa”.
    Last edited by Mr Wolverine; 11-28-2008 at 06:01 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer dutchhunter's Avatar
    i would love to go is this company offering cat hunts i would love to travel the worl starting in africa and hunt al the different speceic of cats i understand africa has several types of cats that can be taken as trophes love those leopards DUTCH