Thread: Hey, from BC

Hey, from BC

Well, just came across this site by accident, but can't say i regret it :D. I've resorted to joining american gun forums, because i didn't think we had any big gun forums in canada! Guess i was wrong... big time!

Couldn't help but notice you don't really have a belt-fed section, and that just happens to be one of the bigger aspects to my hobby , any idea where i should post?

Anyways, a little about myself:
    I live in British columbia, specifically, Langley.

My arsenal consists of a Henry .22lr lever action rifle and my semi-auto yugo M53 in the works. She's an expensive project to say the least, but well worth it :D. A shame Marstar only carries the mg34, as i much prefer the 42. To anyone i may have just confused, the M53, is the post-ww2 yugoslavian copy of the german mg42 beltfed machinegun.

I noticed a 1919a4 owner or two on this forum. That is on my "wish list" after i have finished financing my M53 :D!

Another thing about myself is that i am an active member of both www.1919a4.com, and www.mg42.us. There are a couple canadian members on these forums, but i wouldn't expect many of you to have heard about these boards, as they are primarily american. Very good sources for information, for any of you that have bought those TNW mg34's, or 1919a4/a6's from Marstar.

Anyways, i hope to become an active forum member here .
    Proud to be UBC

WTS complete MG42 Bolt here
    WTS 2 complete M53 Bolts here
    Not mine, but check it out :D http://canadianblackriflemag.wordpress.com/

so your making a SEMI m53 "sarac"
    please enlighten us on the details
    I'd give everything to own one or build one.
    thanks
    and welcome to Canada's greatest firearm forum
    enjoy and shoot safe
    Last edited by dragansrbin; 01-28-2009 at 09:58 AM.

Good to have you along!

This is a great place to hang out. The Americans are going to miss you.

Hello,sounds like a neat build.pic.s?

Welcome... got any belt fed video's of yourself you'd like to share?

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    "We should focus on bad people rather that banned objects." Robert Poole Jr., director of transportation policy at the Reason Foundation

Family portrait:

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...postcount=1040

Sisu

Well here is my m53 "sarac" build details. I emailed the canadian firearms center, and they said basically, you cannot use an original full auto receiver, as that would be a converted auto, barrel length and overall length to meet non-restricted requirements, and should fire semi automatically from a closed bolt when finished. Once i am complete, i shall have to also have a local rcmp officer come swing by, and make sure i have met all of these requirements.

Now that i had all that information cleared up, i bought an m53 parts kit (all parts + a cut up "legally deemed scrap metal" receiver. Only way i could get that part across the border, but it made it through customs OK :D.

This picture just shows the main stuff, i do have the barrel, grips for the handle, and all the other goodies that originally were in the gun.

As you will note, the front end is a tad bit melted, i ordered a replacement "barrel bushing", a good $150 US.... The parts kit cost me $500 us, and about $200 in shipping costs + customs (including this barrel bushing too)! Customs seems to think that they should get 25% of whatever i spend !

I have commenced modifying my bolt, but need some parts to complete it.

Shame to have to do that to a piece of history, but only way to get it to fire from a closed bolt. The full auto lugs on the bottom of the bolt have been ground away, so that it will not stop in the open position. That ugly little thing i welded on is for the cocking handle to latch on to. Here's the tutorial i am following:
    http://www.projectguns.com/mg422.html

All in all, i got like $350 to go until i'm done, minus shipping or customs. Not sure when i'll get a chance to buy these new parts. The needed items are semi-automatic mods for the bolt, and a new fire-control group for the grip/trigger. I was contemplating using the ar-15 trigger system, but have decided to go with the FAL fire control group.

No beltfed videos, as this is a hobby i am just starting to get into :D. Well, i've been more of a beltfed "window shopper", up until last july, when i finally decided to take action and buy these parts. I'd have it done in a month, but a student's budget does not fare so well for such an expensive hobby!
    Beltfeds are really what got me into guns, so i guess you could say i was "crazed" over them for a couple years now, but just recently officially made it my hobby . Just got my POL non-restricted last year, cus i'm not of that magical age yet, but my moms got her PAL non-restricted.

edit: forgot to note... Haven't decided what i will do about making a receiver... A company BRP Corp, makes some nice stampings, but they are a pretty penny, or perhaps i may go with a company Wiselite (they make those Century Arms semiauto M53's). Either way, i didn't include those in my costs, as they are a good $1000 - $2000! They are the real cost of this project!
    Last edited by Michael J; 01-28-2009 at 10:15 PM.
    Proud to be UBC

WTS complete MG42 Bolt here
    WTS 2 complete M53 Bolts here
    Not mine, but check it out :D http://canadianblackriflemag.wordpress.com/

CGN Ultra frequent flyer H Wally's Avatar
    Hmmm. Looks pretty interesting...