Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Restricted firearms purchases from Epps

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Onagoth's Avatar
    Does a zip tie constitute a secure locking device, maybe...maybe not.

It might be worth noting that everytime a police unit has media coverage of a significant bust of firearms, they are all secured with zip ties.

I would just buy a trigger lock and locks for the case anyways. Epps has a whole bucket of trigger locks for $6 and a nice selection of cases, its really not worth the risk.
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Onagoth View Post
    It might be worth noting that everytime a police unit has media coverage of a significant bust of firearms, they are all secured with zip ties.
    apologies for reviving the thread, but that's probably just for the purpose of showing everyone they've been proven empty and safe..

right or wrong, the standard of storage when a gun is considered "evidence" is different than when stored in one's residence or while transporting. with most services, when a crime gun is sent to forensics, the only requirements are that a flag is inserted into the barrel.. it's then put into a cardboard box and shipped off to be printed and test fired.

A pad lock should do on the trigger, or a canle lock threw the barrel oe threw the mag housing, and or a cable lock wtraped around the carry handle of the case.

Quote Originally Posted by the comeback kid View Post
    apologies for reviving the thread, but that's probably just for the purpose of showing everyone they've been proven empty and safe..

right or wrong, the standard of storage when a gun is considered "evidence" is different than when stored in one's residence or while transporting. with most services, when a crime gun is sent to forensics, the only requirements are that a flag is inserted into the barrel.. it's then put into a cardboard box and shipped off to be printed and test fired.
    "standard of storage"? To be clear, the law with respect to storage is the SAME for law enforcement. Doesn't matter if its in ident or forensics, the same law that applies for one at home is the same that applies to us.

As per Firearms Act, shipping of restricteds must be "unloaded". I have never read of something with trigger locks. But nothing's wrong with putting locking device on the firearm. Is this thread for cases like buying a restricted and obtaining an ATT from the gunshop and taking it home?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 1895GS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onagoth View Post
    I would just buy a trigger lock and locks for the case anyways. Epps has a whole bucket of trigger locks for $6 and a nice selection of cases, its really not worth the risk.
    Most gun owners should probably not remove their guns from the safe since some may have a sharp corner...may draw blood. It's just not worth the risk.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer promac's Avatar
    TRANSPORTATION OF RESTRICTED FIREARMS
    11. An individual may transport a restricted firearm only if
    (a) it is unloaded;
    (b) it is rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device;
    (c) it is in a locked container that is made of an opaque material and is of such strength, construction and nature that it cannot readily be broken open or into or accidentally opened during transportation; and
    (d) if it is in a container described in paragraph (c) that is in an unattended vehicle,
    (i) when the vehicle is equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the container is in that trunk or compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked, and
    (ii) when the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the vehicle, or the part of the vehicle that contains the container, is securely locked and the container is not visible from outside the vehicle.

Main Entry: 3lock
    Function: verb
    Date: 14th century
    transitive verb
    1 a : to fasten the lock of b : to make fast with or as if with a lock <lock up the house>
    2 a : to fasten in or out or to make secure or inaccessible by or as if by means of locks <locked himself away from the curious world> b : to fix in a particular situation or method of operation <a team firmly locked in last place>
    3 a : to make fast, motionless, or inflexible especially by the interlacing or interlocking of parts <lock wheels> <lock a knee> b : to hold in a close embrace c : to grapple in combat; also : to bind closely <administration and students were locked in conflict>
    4 : to invest (capital) without assurance of easy convertibility into money
    5 : to move or permit to pass (as a ship) by raising or lowering in a lock
    IMO, using zip ties is an effective method of securing your restricted firearms according to the F.A. and the definition of "lock". However, I could see many LEO's interpreting "locked" to mean using a key or combination lock - so you might get charged anyway. If you're running a business, do you really want to risk it? I wouldn't.
    Warning: I am not a lawyer; any ideas, views, opinions or advice may be incorrect, incomplete or contain errors and omissions. Anything could seem like at good idea at any given moment. Readers should consult with their legal professionals before taking any action based on the information contained herein.

Used to be that we "Worldproofed" our children. Now society wants to childproof the world.

I think that the tie straps are more than adequate for a trigger locking device for shipping... and if LEO were to question their use, it would be easy to remind them that it's the same device that they handcuff protesters with...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer luke s's Avatar
    last time I bough restricted there they didnt even ask about a trigger lock or case.... great store though

Zip ties need a mechanical means of removal (side cutter). I use them when transporting all of my guns restricted and non. A gun lock would still require a mechanical means to remove when you don't have the key or can't find your keys.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast