Thread: Melvill and Coghill - Zulu Dawn

Melvill and Coghill - Zulu Dawn

I am sure that most of you have seen the epic movie Zulu and the subsequent movie Zulu Dawn that depicts the events preceding “Zulu” the defense of Rorkes Drift. If you haven’t seen these movies I highly recommend them.

The battle of Isandlwana took place on22 Jan 1879 between the British and King Cetshwayo’s Zulu Impis. In the space of a few hours over 1200 British troops (includes loyal natives) were wiped out.

Lt Melvill was the 1/24th’s Adjutant, he was tasked with saving the battalion’s Queens Colour. Lt Melvill broke out and as the trail to Rorkes drift was blocked by Zulu he was forced to make for an alternative ford (Drift) across the Buffalo River, this is now know as Fugitive’s Drift. Counter to popular belief, it was only here at the Buffalo river that Lt Coghill joined his brother officer. Coghill had already reached the further bank, but he turned back to assist the dismounted Melvill, Coghill’s horse was shot from under him. The two exhausted Officers found themselves stranded on “Coffin Rock” in the Buffalo River, with the Zulus taking pot shots at them. They swam the river (which was in flood) and made a last stand on the further bank. The history books tell us they made 200 yds up the further bank. In the movie Zulu Dawn they are slain on the bank. Every one agrees they made their last stand with their backs to a huge rock and that is where theKir tomb stands.

The tomb of Lt Melvill VC and Lt Coghill VC. This was taken July 2009 with my back to the Buffalo River, over the skyline and they would have probably been safe.

Standing at the tomb looking to their crossing point of the Buffalo River my Lecia gives the distance to the river as 650 meters! A tough walk under any conditions.

A view of Fugitives Drift, from the cliffs to the shallows in the foreground is where the majority are believed to have crossed. I think “Coffin Rock” is on the sand in the bend of the river, very close to the bank the Zulu’s held.

The trail from the battle field at Isandlwana to the Drift is dotted with white washed stone cairns marking the grave sites of fallen soldiers. One day I must return to walk that route, truly it is a beautiful place, a fitting place for brave men to be buried.
    Last edited by Mr Wolverine; 01-13-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Thank-you for sharing this.
    True warriors are fierce because their training is fierce. - Miyamoto Musashi 1645

That's awesome Must have been neat to see.

Great pics and neat little History lesson.

Thanks for sharing
    It's who you know, not what you know!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Chuckbuster's Avatar
    Not far enough north of Premier Orville Reddenbacher
    Great movies...great pictures!...They provide an interesting perspective on the end of the action at Isandhlwana. Now you have me thinking and recalling an obscure bit of historical information that came my way a number of years ago...apparently the 24th were stationed at Penetanguishene, Ontario during the War of 1812...I will have to do a little digging to verify that though. Anyway, like I said...great photos...must have been an awesome trip.
    Look to your front! Mark your target when it comes.

Thank you for your post!

CGN frequent flyer
    Last time we went back to visit relatives, my brother and I made sure to spend a day with a guide at Isandhlwana and Rorkes Drift. Well worth the trip. One of the strongest impresions was how much smaller the actual features were than the ones in the various movies.

If you can find it, watch the episode of the British TV series Secrets of the Dead that deals with the battle of Isandhlwana. It features interviews and commentary by Ian Knight,who is probably the current most expert historian on the subject. The show features some very interesting new theories and information that have recently come to light from archeology done on the sight.

Also features testing of the Martini-Henry to determine its propensity to jam when heated, the effects of visibility and powder smoke given the eclipse that took place during the battle, and a test of the ammunition boxes and the myth that they were part of the reason the battle was lost. There is also some interesting tests of Zulu battle "muthi".