Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181921 ... LastLast

Thread: Frustrated with Gun Club Experience

Quote Originally Posted by NavyCuda View Post
    I happen to notice that you're located in Ontario. So I would like to ask, have you ever been to Langley Rod and Gun Club, in Langley British Columbia, located directly beside Brookswood Secondary School(which I also attended).
    Not sure why it matters but I have. I was impressed that a club could continue in such close proximity to residential areas but I suppose the trees help reduce noise and neighbour concerns.

Give Abbotsford Fish and Game club a try. I am the past pres. You should have a problem signing up. Memberships are available on Saturdays. Contact the Operations Manager for more details.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Claybuster View Post
    Not sure why it matters but I have. I was impressed that a club could continue in such close proximity to residential areas but I suppose the trees help reduce noise and neighbour concerns.
    Well seeing as you have been there, I cannot complain about you having not been there. Clearly you are entitled to your opinion as your experience differed from mine.

Don't worry navy I got your back... Some people will defend their ignorance to the bitter end. Unfortunatly they ASSUME that were a bunch of sh&t rats in there causing problems and not following the rules, which I know myself Is / was not the case in mine and that of other shooters I know. Those choosing not to follow the saftey rules of the club should be removed immediately after being made aware of there infractions( that is not the topic here).

We are the "customers" as they take our money to provide a service...if they don't need us then make it a private club with no possability for new members. I know people with "private" ranges and have been invited...they control who comes in!

Learn some manners and quit making exscuses for a sh&tty attitude...Thats what is being talked about here... You won't hurt our feelings cause we don't care about YOU or YOUR crappy little comunist run club, but when the city comes to shut it down (and they will eventually) guess who they'll be running to for support...

This is about the future of the sport and the way we make NEW people feel welcome, Not dealing with a$$holes who have no reguard for saftey.

And it's about rules that seem goofy to some as they cater to the preferances of a few...thats why you have freedom to choose another range.

Cheers,
    Travis
    My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Torch". These posts are for informational and entertainment use. Copying or quoting in whole, or in part, is given free license for use by any member of this board for use on this board. Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Torch View Post
    Don't worry navy I got your back... Some people will defend their ignorance to the bitter end. Unfortunatly they ASSUME that were a bunch of sh&t rats in there causing problems and not following the rules, which I know myself Is / was not the case in mine and that of other shooters I know. Those choosing not to follow the saftey rules of the club should be removed immediately after being made aware of there infractions( that is not the topic here).

We are the "customers" as they take our money to provide a service...if they don't need us then make it a private club with no possability for new members. I know people with "private" ranges and have been invited...they control who comes in!

Learn some manners and quit making exscuses for a sh&tty attitude...Thats what is being talked about here... You won't hurt our feelings cause we don't care about YOU or YOUR crappy little comunist run club, but when the city comes to shut it down (and they will eventually) guess who they'll be running to for support...

This is about the future of the sport and the way we make NEW people feel welcome, Not dealing with a$$holes who have no reguard for saftey.

And it's about rules that seem goofy to some as they cater to the preferances of a few...thats why you have freedom to choose another range.

Cheers,
    Travis
    I usually only go three or four volleys before my head starts to bleed and I give up. haha.

As much bad rep as it gives the club, I'm glad I'm not the only one that experienced it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I find there are three club 'types' in Canada.

1. The middle ground type, that rules you to death,
    (by thier own 'extra-plus' rules, not province/feds) But this is all above board, so we all know what one's getting into beforehand, so it's okay.

2. The worst type, that appears to be transparent & above the board, but the 'old guard' have thier own circle of accepted members, and one always feels like the FNG/mushroom/stranger. (kept in the dark forever)
    Lack of two-way communcations, is prevalent.

3. The best type, while complying with all provincal/federal laws, provides excellent recreational activity.
    They truly welcome new members to the sport, while equally sharing the burden of range duties.
    As well, providing timely/patient advice to neophytes at the correct moments.
    Great communications on all levels, usually is a very good sign.
    After being a new shooter (again) I was lucky enough to find club #3. I personally have not had any issues with my club. Everyone has been super friendly and extremely helpful. I am just getting into pistol shooting so I'm a newbie.

The other night at an IDPA practice shoot, I was given some helpful pointers about drawing and reloading my firearm. It wasn't a crass lecture or anything like that...just a guy watching a newbie fire his gun and saying "Hey, here's what you're doing...try it this way, it's safer and you'll find it easier".

I'm already getting involved with my club on the maintenance side because I've been given such a good impression of the club and people, I want to help out myself. It's only been a little over a month but I already feel a great deal of pride about where I'm allowed to shoot and want to take care of it!

Apparently we too have some old timers who feel like ruining other peoples good times (as I've been told by some of my IDPA brethren) but so far I haven't run into them. And if I do I'll be polite and respectful (as I am a relative rookie) but at the same time, I pay the same amount to be there (and put in my OWN time to help out the club) so I'm not going to be afraid of some old clicky group who tries to ruin MY good time! I'm not afraid to stand up for my rights as a Canadian and as a paying member to my club.

/rant :D

A chicken in every pot and a cap in every ass!

Member: CFGPA - IDPA - NFA - CPC

I had the same experience at Langley probably with the same guy, but you can only shoot either .22 or shotgun at Langley so it wasn't going to be the club for me anyway.

Ridgedale on the other hand did accept me when I joined ealry last spring, but they are limited on their shooting lanes for rifles so accepting more members would make it hard to get any space to even use the range.

Abbotsford Fish & Game will be your best bet unless you're only gonna stay with the .22 cal and go back to Langley to sign up. One bad apple shouldn't spoil the whole club.

BANNED

You must mean the CHILLIWACK FISH AND GAME

That is correct the Chilliwack Fish And Game is one of the better clubs around. I know it is this club just by the way you are speaking. Ir is a respectful club, and non respectful people are not wanted. Come out have fun, meet people, fill up your mags, and shoot away.

Good for you for getting involved with your club.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurr[SOAR] View Post
    After being a new shooter (again) I was lucky enough to find club #3. I personally have not had any issues with my club. Everyone has been super friendly and extremely helpful. I am just getting into pistol shooting so I'm a newbie.

The other night at an IDPA practice shoot, I was given some helpful pointers about drawing and reloading my firearm. It wasn't a crass lecture or anything like that...just a guy watching a newbie fire his gun and saying "Hey, here's what you're doing...try it this way, it's safer and you'll find it easier".

I'm already getting involved with my club on the maintenance side because I've been given such a good impression of the club and people, I want to help out myself. It's only been a little over a month but I already feel a great deal of pride about where I'm allowed to shoot and want to take care of it!

Apparently we too have some old timers who feel like ruining other peoples good times (as I've been told by some of my IDPA brethren) but so far I haven't run into them. And if I do I'll be polite and respectful (as I am a relative rookie) but at the same time, I pay the same amount to be there (and put in my OWN time to help out the club) so I'm not going to be afraid of some old clicky group who tries to ruin MY good time! I'm not afraid to stand up for my rights as a Canadian and as a paying member to my club.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurr[SOAR] View Post

Great post Blurr
    The "right" is always wrong, and the "left" is never right

Quote Originally Posted by srv2miker View Post
    Hi All, I apologize for the long read.

Recently I've decided to take up shooting with a friend of mine. I've been interested in firearms for years and finally decided to take the plunge, and I received my PAL and RPAL in the mail a couple of weeks ago. Before I buy a handgun, I decided I would scout out some of the ranges in my area, and I've run into some pretty disturbing scenarios.

First, a little background on me. I'm in my late 20's with a young family. I have a good white collar job and live in the Langley area. I've set my sights on purchasing a .22 handgun in order to learn the ropes, and then I'd like to move up to larger calibers if I enjoy the sport. My main goals are to have some fun, meet some great, like-minded people, and develop my shooting skills. The club should have a good pistol range, decent hours, and preferably have an indoor shooting area for winter.

So far, I've had exactly zero luck finding a good club to join, so much so that it's actually made me question whether I want to be a part of the sport.

My first candidate for membership was my local club, the Langley Rod & Gun club. When I went in to check the place out, it was made pretty clear by the caretaker that I was a waste of his time, and he didn't care whether I became a member or not. His demeanor was downright rude, and definitely didn't give me the feeling that I would be welcomed as a new member. Between his one word answers and constant stink-eye, he made me uncomfortable enough to finally leave without asking any further questions.

Next, I decided to head on out to Ridgedale, a club that has got good reviews by members on the board here. I read on their website that they would be accepting new applications for membership tonight at their monthly meeting, so myself and my friend made the 50min trip to the club and settled in. Everyone in the crowd seemed friendly, and they were talking amongst one another. No one gave us the stink-eye, so the club already had a leg up on Langley.

But, we don't get there but 10 minutes before someone (I'm assuming the club chair, but I'm not sure) announces they're not taking any more members, and anyone who wasn't from Mission or Abbotsford would have to be on a waiting list. The only way to get off the waiting list was for "someone ahead of you to get turfed out of the club".

Let me get this straight - here we have a dying sport that is lacking new blood, and two beginners are basically told "we don't want you"? What kind of club doesn't want new, paying, worthwhile members? I'm not joining just for my ATT for petesakes, I'm there to become a member of the community, and make the club a better, more fun place to be. My background in marketing and history of volunteer work don't make me valuable to the club, and the sport as a whole? This doesn't even address the fact that I have two children who I would eventually introduce the sport to, thus increasing membership.

After two clubs and no luck I've started to question whether gun clubs even want new members. Is this a hobby where I'll be welcomed and feel like a member, or is it simply an old-boys club and new faces aren't wanted?

I guess my main question is, is this what all clubs are like? Are you made to feel like a 2nd class citizen until you put in enough time in waiting that someone finally acknowledges you're a worthwhile part of the club? If that's the case, forget it, I'll just join another hockey team where the locker room atmosphere is a lot more friendly and fun. What are other people's experiences?

Try Coast Mountain. Also call Murray Gardner, mdgardner.com, and see if he can suggest something.
    Illigitimi non carborundum

El hombre mas rapido con la pistola !