Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101222 ... LastLast

Thread: Frustrated with Gun Club Experience

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dr.Lector's Avatar
    This is not an appology on behalf of Ridgedale,
    BUT: Ridgedale Rod and Gun Club's membership has grown
    in the last 15 years to the point that
    it is a little crowded on some weekends.

Also, please take into account:

-the club rents the range to a lot of gov orgs
    (when Police or CBSA shoots, the rifle range is still usable,
    but when ERT/SWAT rents it, nobody else is allowed on the range),

-the first Sunday of each month there is Trap shooting, during which
    the rifle range - that is a separate facility!!!!! - cannot be used,
    (I never understood why, though),

-the archery guys have their monthly weekend too,
    and all the ranges are closed because
    they go on a 3-D range in the surrounding wooden area
    (to play "tarzan" and other things, to feel good about themselves, etc),

-the rifle shed is small (4 tables) with 2 new tables outside.

Because of all the above, the Club wants to protect
    its present members and maintain some minimal conditions for them,
    so it doesn't become like that PoCo sh!thole.

One of the measures taken by Ridgedale
    was capping the membership numbers.
    They accept new members but this new priority system is
    based on the home address (neighbours first, from what I understand).

However, I completely understand your point
    and the fact that you feel un-welcomed or maybe even rejected,
    especially when you are a newbie.
    I hope somebody will take you along and bring you to a range
    that accepts new members and you will like it in there and could integrate.
    I wish you best of luck
    Last edited by Dr.Lector; 09-09-2009 at 04:42 AM.

I had a bad experience back in 1992 when I went to join the Orillia gun club in Ontario, where a member actually give me, my wife and her kids a hard time and actually closed a door in my face and asked us to leave. I was there to hand in my applaction and money. So I did not join. I finally joined a club in 2005. Have had nothing but a great time. It all depends on the persons or persons one meets. Try another club, or another provance.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by TGC View Post
    I had a bad experience back in 1992 when I went to join the Orillia gun club in Ontario, where a member actually give me, my wife and her kids a hard time and actually closed a door in my face and asked us to leave. I was there to hand in my applaction and money. So I did not join. I finally joined a club in 2005. Have had nothing but a great time. It all depends on the persons or persons one meets. Try another club, or another provance.
    Hey, years of lead exposure does cause behavioural changes you know

Seriously though, front-line workers/volunteers (salespeople, clerks, receptionists etc.,) are really under-rated....and unfortunately are thought of by many organizations/companies as being interchangeable/expendable. In fact, these people are amoungst the MOST important people because they MAKE the impression/set the tone for the entire organization.

More thought needs to be given as to who/what type of people get these "frontline" assignments. In the case of volunteers, it might be better not having anyone than having Mr or Mrs. Grouch working.

We (as gun owners)really need to work on the "treat people as you want to be treated" principle.

Quote Originally Posted by srv2miker View Post
    I've set my sights on purchasing a .22 handgun in order to learn the ropes, and then I'd like to move up to larger calibers if I enjoy the sport. My main goals are to have some fun, meet some great, like-minded people, and develop my shooting skills. The club should have a good pistol range, decent hours, and preferably have an indoor shooting area for winter.

My first candidate for membership was my local club, the Langley Rod & Gun club. When I went in to check the place out, it was made pretty clear by the caretaker that I was a waste of his time, and he didn't care whether I became a member or not. His demeanor was downright rude, and definitely didn't give me the feeling that I would be welcomed as a new member. Between his one word answers and constant stink-eye, he made me uncomfortable enough to finally leave without asking any further questions.

I guess my main question is, is this what all clubs are like? Are you made to feel like a 2nd class citizen until you put in enough time in waiting that someone finally acknowledges you're a worthwhile part of the club? If that's the case, forget it, I'll just join another hockey team where the locker room atmosphere is a lot more friendly and fun. What are other people's experiences?

Hello srv2miker,

I suggest giving Langley a second chance. I too got the stink eye and "ignore him and maybe he'll go away treatment". Same feeling as if I was walking into the coffee shop at 9:00 AM in some small town in Saskatchewan and wasn't wearing a John Deere cap. LOL. I have a 14 and 12 year old sons who also want to shoot. We just went to Junior Rifle last night 6:00 - 7:00 Tuesdays and it was very descent for my son. The two gentlemen running it were very good to us. And we felt welcome. As 7:00 PM approached a guy and his son showed up to shoot .22 rifle and handgun. I was pleasantly surprised when I was invited to shoot both his rifle and handgun. They invited my son to shoot their stuff as well. Nice. Then another hand gunner showed up. He shot one round and then insisted I shoot his handgun. Then more guys (guys your age) showed up and they got to joking and ribbing each other and shooting - the atmosphere was down right pleasant. They are starting Sunday morning trap shooting for kids as well. I am happy that my family are new members. At first I had thought I'd made a poor choice.

What you ran into was a bunch of oldsters (all twice your age) who have spent many many years of being at the club and unfortunately just seem like old curmudgeons. Are there some oldsters there, giving you the stink eye. Yup. But I am confident that they just time to warm up to you. I don't know for sure but I think there are many 30 something members at the club and not just the "give 'em the stink eye" types. If you join, you'll lower the ratio of oldsters to younger guys. LOL
    If you are really fed up with the antics of the CFO then try a S.72 challenge. Delightfully refreshing I must say.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by zupermann View Post
    Hey, years of lead exposure does cause behavioural changes you know

Seriously though, front-line workers/volunteers (salespeople, clerks, receptionists etc.,) are really under-rated....and unfortunately are thought of by many organizations/companies as being interchangeable/expendable. In fact, these people are amoungst the MOST important people because they MAKE the impression/set the tone for the entire organization.

More thought needs to be given as to who/what type of people get these "frontline" assignments. In the case of volunteers, it might be better not having anyone than having Mr or Mrs. Grouch working.

We (as gun owners)really need to work on the "treat people as you want to be treated" principle.
    For the record my only gun club experiences have been the opposite. The TRC club, returned my phone call and explained their fudd rules very carefully, patiently and politely. The staff was excellent even if the club was not my style. (Too long a probation period and inflexible hours).

Better yet was my time at the Oshawa Skeet and Gun Club. They are always the super friendliest bunch of shooters. The fudds are being slowly outnumbered too. The staff ( I forget her name, but she is a mature blond woman) is super amazing. She is wonderful, available, friendly, knowlegable, helpful and resonable. I could not recommend a staff member more.

In fact the club could only be improved in my mind with a reduction in fudd rules. Namely

1) 5 shots in mag only. (Even 10/22 ) and
    2) 1 Shot every 2 seconds.
    3) No holsters. (They host IPSC/IDPA but you can't practice for them).

Other than this, it is a great range with excellent staff. Sadly we can't let our dollars do the talking as ranges are so few and far between. New ones won't likely pop up when crappy ones die, so we put up with ####. WHat'ya gonna do?

Sorry to hear. I don't seem to have that problem in GTA area, besides most ranges are out 'range' for me. Too far, too many rules, no safety course until next year, etc etc... I finally gave up and forked out $600 to join Target Sports and ironically, the first club I learned about when I started researching back in April. If only I live out west or far away from a major city... I could belong to several clubs and still have tons of $$$ left over for ammo!

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    Let me get this straight, club #1's caretaker gives you some attitude so you decide to pass on the club? (You're going to judge an entire club on the actions of one person in one conversation on one day? You've never had a bad day and treated a stranger rudely, huh?) And club #2, filled to capacity but with an out-dated website, passes on your membership in much the same way that you've passed on membership in club #1, so you feel unwelcome in the sport? Is that it? The reception wasn't as warm as the one you got at your country club interview, I guess.

It sounds to me as though you're accustomed to being treated as a Prince. The thing is, we're not used to being around royalty, see? So perhaps our manners are a bit common. Sorry.

How about giving club #1 another chance.
    I want to make it clear that I'm not expecting hugs and kisses when I visit a club. What is not acceptable is for the caretaker to act like a complete a*****e when I walk through the door. There's a great Rodney Carrington joke about princes and princesses that could go here, but probably isn't appropriate

Thanks everyone who has contributed helpful responses. I definitely want to go to Langley one night, just to see what the members are like. I also attended the open house that Mission had a few weeks ago, and I really enjoyed the group there. I'm just a little wary of their winter hours (closing at dusk). In winter it's dusk before my day even ends, so I'd feel like my membership would be wasted for 4-5 months of the year.
    Last edited by srv2miker; 09-09-2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: forgot to quote, missed winky

BANNED
    Last time I was at Langley I got muzzle sweeped by some dude "making safe his gun". Then after about an hour of shooting some guy tried to scoop my brass and got all pissy at me when I told him I wanted it, he just said I should have picked it up earlier because it was getting everywhere. I went to complain to the staff but they told me I could leave a note for the boss.

Quote Originally Posted by chise View Post
    Last time I was at Langley I got muzzle sweeped by some dude "making safe his gun". Then after about an hour of shooting some guy tried to scoop my brass and got all pissy at me when I told him I wanted it, he just said I should have picked it up earlier because it was getting everywhere. I went to complain to the staff but they told me I could leave a note for the boss.
    What the hell? The dude that was picking up your brass should say sorry instead of making up excuses. The nerve of some people...

Langley Rod and Gun was my first club. The caretaker gives everyone the stink eye. It gave me no warm fuzzies to join but damn I wanted that LTATT!
    Anyway, try dropping by on a thursday evening and check out the indoor pistol shooting. The range officers were always very nice so I did have a good time when I went.

I have since dropped my membership there and am now a member of DVC. Its a little further for me to go but its nice to have much better hours and so far I really only shoot handguns so they are a perfect range for me. I also like shooting at distances other then 20 meters(and so does my wife), the automatic target returns mean no cease fires every 5 to 10 minutes.